Author Topic: Huang Ruiyong's lecture on the technical processes of MCC minting  (Read 1373 times)

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
I translated Huang Ruiyong's early lecture "Exploring the Technical Process of Minting Precious Metal Coins in China and Early Sand Blasted (Matte) Coins." It is an interesting read, and like his other lectures, provides a lot of information on MCC in general. As I added some coin pictures for illustration, I did not want to repeat the manual work here. Please go directly to my blog at:

http://modern-chinese-numismatic-info.blogspot.com/2012/11/exploring-technical-process-of-minting_28.html

Please note, though, that one of the early matte coins mentioned, the error coin Alpine Skiing, is a controversial one. Mr. Ge refuted the existence of such a matte version, calling it a fantasy coin. There are other points Huang made that may lead to interesting discussions.

Offline cabaretvolt

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Huang Ruiyong's lecture on the technical processes of MCC minting
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 04:48:52 PM »
fwang... sorry which year soccer coin is he referencing?
the 1986 1/2 ounce 5Y silver?  i'm seeing a mintage of 10.000
but i thought he said it was a mintage of 1000 on the soccer coin
that he highlights

"Okay, You people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president" - Burton

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 05:00:47 PM »
fwang... sorry which year soccer coin is he referencing?
the 1986 1/2 ounce 5Y silver?  i'm seeing a mintage of 10.000
but i thought he said it was a mintage of 1000 on the soccer coin
that he highlights

It is 86 5Y Soccer. You can view it at http://www.dxcoin.com/coin-142.html. The actual mintage of the proof version is 4,500. But the actual mintage of this matte version is 1,000.

Offline Straitssettlementshop

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 12:28:53 AM »
Hi fwang, thanks again for hard work to translate into english much appreciated. I have visitted yr blog countless times.

Regards,
SSS

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 12:59:50 AM »
Hi fwang, thanks again for hard work to translate into english much appreciated. I have visitted yr blog countless times.

Regards,
SSS

Thanks for your positive feedback, SSS. This lecture was more difficult to translate, and since feedback was light, I was wondering whether my translation caused more confusion than clarification. To me, it is an important topic, which can help MCC collectors better appreciate the coins under discussion, and throw some light on discussions like this: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=5981.0.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 01:08:44 AM »
Same here, fwang. Your tireless effort in translation is much appreciated - I'm sure by all members here. :thumbup:

Offline Straitssettlementshop

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 03:01:39 AM »
Thanks for your positive feedback, SSS. This lecture was more difficult to translate, and since feedback was light, I was wondering whether my translation caused more confusion than clarification. To me, it is an important topic, which can help MCC collectors better appreciate the coins under discussion, and throw some light on discussions like this: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=5981.0.

It was very well understood from your translation.   :thumbup1: