Author Topic: Stepping into the Magic Hall of Mini Gold Coins by Huang Ruiyong  (Read 10275 times)

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
Re: Stepping into the Magic Hall of Mini Gold Coins by Huang Ruiyong
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
No need for another photo, the reverse is identical with this one:

http://www.apmex.com/Product/61674/China_1997_10_Yuan_1_10_oz_Gold_Coin_of_Auspicious_Matters.aspx

As a matter of fact, I haven't seen any others. Looking forward to what you can tell me about variations. With pics, if you have, would be nice...

If your reverse looks like that (picture 1), then it is what it SHOULD look like, yet somewhat difficult to find.  Most gold 10Y looks like the picture below (picture 2).  The dot circled in picture 1 is missing, and the rays radiating from the base are fading.  The ray at the leftmost is short.  You may also notice some differences in foliage, but that's not consistent across the variety.  The missing dot is peculiar to the 1/10.  Alll other Auspicious Matters have the dot intact.

I like the picture 1 variety better.  It has much better eye appeal than the missing-dot variety.

BTW, Clark Smith has bunch of them for sale.  He is counting up the varieties and figure out the ratio of normal vs missing-dot
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:33:05 PM by SANDAC »

Offline Vreneli

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 03:57:56 PM »
That's very interesting, thanks a lot. Didn't know that so tiny variations even existed.

I just checked my coin again and the reverse is definitely like in your picture # 1.

Does that make it more interesting, rarer or even more valuable?

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone here in Europe is aware of those facts and it wouldn't make a difference in popularity.

But I don't intend to sell it any time soon, so maybe in the far future those variations will make a difference.

Edit: what you call a dot looks more like an additional short ray to me.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:03:32 PM by Vreneli »

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »
Edit: what you call a dot looks more like an additional short ray to me.
You are right, it is a small segment of a ray, but somehow "missing short ray" is not a catchy name, so I named it "missing dot".

I think it is an interesting variety only from the standpoint of better eye-appeal.  Most 1/10 has missing dot and an overall faded/weak strike or appearance.  It is not as attractive as the normal one, which is hard to find.  So having the dot becomes synonymous with better eye-appeal.  Lets say only 30% of the 1/10 have the dot, then one can make the argument that the population of collectable 1/10 is only 30,000.   Will that argument sticks?  I don't know, only time will tell.

Offline Vreneli

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 05:14:25 AM »
Another question...

Do you think it would be smart to now invest in small Goldpandas (1/20 oz and 1/10 oz) from 2009 and 2010?

I know, at the moment, everything prior to 2009 is sought after, but these to years are the last to have mintages of around 100,000 each.
I wonder if, in a few years, they will also gain premiums - especially on the chinese collectors market - as the older years already do.

What are your thoughts on that?

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2012, 12:08:27 PM »
Personally I don't like the 1/20.  It is just too small and need to be mounted in something, jewery or slab, to examine and appreciate.  Even 1/10 is a bit on the small side, but at one time they both have low entry prices, maybe that's the reason for their current popularity.  I still like the fractional gold (1/4, 1/2) and small silver (22g) of the 1980's.  They are cheap and mintage is low (compare to that of mid 2000's or later). 

I'm not market savvy, I buy in good time, bad time, and so-so time.  I don't sell much.  For marketing insight, there is a very good thread going on right now you should read and read again.
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=7480.msg43134#msg43134

The only buy-side advice I can give is to practice "opportunity buying".  It is a bit like the "Art of War", but without the deception component.  It is about building your capital, studying your subject matter, establishing trusted sources, knowing when NOT to buy and making the purchase swiftly when opportunity presented itself.  This is how to save 30% and have fun doing it, and it works in good, bad, and so-so time.

Offline Vreneli

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2012, 01:54:39 PM »
Oh, I think you misinterpret my question totally..
I'm not at all new to the PM market and the gold I usually buy is 95% for pure longterm investment and consists of old coins without collectors value available near gold price.

As for the Pandas, I have only recently started to collect a few, but by no means any older than say 2007, because I'm not much of a gambler and not willing to pay collectors prices.

Therefore I by one or two 1/20 and 1/10 oz of each year (in original foil, no slabs - not popular here at all...) because they don't set me back much. If I want to buy gold with more weight, i.e. 1/4 oz or more I take  Pesos, Sovereigns, etc.

My quetion was adressed to those who know about the collectors market of those small Pandas and how they see the future potential of those from 2009 to 2010.

Offline Dr650rob

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2012, 05:01:18 PM »
I think it will eventually gain a premium but not in just a few years maybe 10 but gold price is also a big time factor if I was goin to buy the 09 10 I would get them in ms 70 that would be the best investment
But if you just like buying gold 09 10 pandas are better than maples and eagles

Offline Vreneli

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2012, 05:29:47 PM »
Hi,
thanks for your opinion, but SORRY, no ugly slabs here...  N32
I believe in OMPs, only.  N31

Offline Vreneli

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 07:04:03 AM »
Hi again,

Are there so few people here interested in small gold pandas and such, that no other replies come up...?

And, can anyone here recommend me a link, where I can find up to date actual mintages of gold pandas.
The only siteI know, still shows for example 2006 with 200.000 in 1/20 oz, but I know the figure is way smaller. I'm especially looking for the actual mintages of 2001 to 2006.
Thanx.