Author Topic: Stepping into the Magic Hall of Mini Gold Coins by Huang Ruiyong  (Read 10281 times)

Offline Vreneli

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Stepping into the Magic Hall of Mini Gold Coins by Huang Ruiyong
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 11:29:53 AM »
Fwang

Do you (or anyone else for this matter) tell me the actual mintage of the 1997 Auspicious Matters coin in 1/10 oz ?
You write, that the 1/20 oz has only been minted 8000 in total so I can hardly believe, that the 1/10 has reached the 100,000.
Also I'd like to know, why you think this particular coin is so unpopular compared to others. And why would the 1/20 oz of it then be more popular, than the 1/10 ?
I think this is a nice coin and would like to get me a few in both sizes, but since they do fetch a little premium over others when buying them, I want to have a little hope that they won't stay in their unpopularity and increase in value in the future...
What do you think?

Offline Straitssettlementshop

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 11:56:52 AM »
Many of the 1/20oz. gold auspicious matter has been used for jewellery thus leaving with an estimation of surviving population of 8000pcs. However the author did not mention anything on the fate of 1/10oz.

It is not the larger size 1/10oz. were unpopular compare with 1/20oz, because smaller one carry lesser mintage and harder to find and collectors were hunting for them. Coin collecting is all about mintages.

Happy hunting !

Offline Vreneli

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 12:07:39 PM »
No, the auther did not mention any thing about the fate of it, but put it in his popularity ranking on the lowest level...
Can't understand this...
So do you think it's worth investing in some of these, especially the 1/10 oz, since this size is my preference in small gold coins. Also, they are easier to get than the 1/20 oz.

I did search this forum for the coin but found hardly anything about the ones in gold. So should I take this as a sign, that really not many people care about it?

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »
Welcome to the Chinese Coin Forum, Vreneli.

Both 1/10 and 1/20 oz supposed to have a mintage of 100,000.  IMO, the 1/20 gold is so small that people were not attracted to them initially.  Being small, it also need to be mounted in something larger, like jewelries which destroyed their numismatic values.  Coin collecting is an exercise in contrarian, it is the unpopular items that finally have their days in the sun.

I personally consider 1/10 gold as the minimal size for coin collecting as well, but if there are many, many people think like I do, then 1/10 won't go up in price any time soon.

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 12:33:24 PM »
If I'm not wrong the ranking list base on it's mintages so that explained. Pandas, medals and unicorns are more popular among westerners and international collectors whereas lunars and others (auspicious matters) are more popular in China.

Offline Vreneli

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 12:56:49 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome  :001_smile:

Well, I do like the coin.

I was able to pick one up  in 1/20 oz at a local coin dealer. Only in a capsule but in a mint condition and for a very low price.
I also know a dealer that offers the 1/10 oz in the original foil with COA for around $ 220, so I guess I'll get me one of those as well. I guess it's better to have one than not to...  :001_rolleyes:

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 12:57:35 PM »
Fwang

Do you (or anyone else for this matter) tell me the actual mintage of the 1997 Auspicious Matters coin in 1/10 oz ?
You write, that the 1/20 oz has only been minted 8000 in total so I can hardly believe, that the 1/10 has reached the 100,000.
Also I'd like to know, why you think this particular coin is so unpopular compared to others. And why would the 1/20 oz of it then be more popular, than the 1/10 ?
I think this is a nice coin and would like to get me a few in both sizes, but since they do fetch a little premium over others when buying them, I want to have a little hope that they won't stay in their unpopularity and increase in value in the future...
What do you think?

I did not write the post. I was just translating the lecture from Huang Ruiyong.  What he means is that because of the lower mintage of the 1/20oz Auspicious Matters, it is harder to find.  He did not mention the actual mintage of the 1/10oz Auspicious Matters gold coins. My obervation on eBay confirms his claim that there are a lot more 1/10oz than 1/20oz 97 Auspicious Matters. For the same reason the 1/20oz carries a higher premium.

Offline Vreneli

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 01:03:10 PM »
I did not write the post. I was just translating the lecture from Huang Ruiyong.  What he means is that because of the lower mintage of the 1/20oz Auspicious Matters, it is harder to find.  He did not mention the actual mintage of the 1/10oz Auspicious Matters gold coins. My obervation on eBay confirms his claim that there are a lot more 1/10oz than 1/20oz 97 Auspicious Matters. For the same reason the 1/20oz carries a higher premium.

A lot more... I guess so.
But 100,000 compared to 8,000 ? Hard to believe. But I guess, we will never find out, just with the actual mintage of the gold pandas prior to 2000.

But even if it was 100,000. Compared to many new potential chinese collectors a small figure. And maybe one day they'll start to appreciate the little boy with the carp, too... .

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 01:09:19 PM »
A lot more... I guess so.
But 100,000 compared to 8,000 ? Hard to believe. But I guess, we will never find out, just with the actual mintage of the gold pandas prior to 2000.
It is said that the China Gold Coins Co. is sorting out the actual mintage of the coins released before 2000. Hopefully the data will be made public soon.

Offline Vreneli

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 01:00:36 PM »
So, got it now...  :001_tt2:

(by the way, I'm from Europe and here we don't care much for spacewasting Slabs. We prefer original foils...)

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 01:09:22 PM »
Vreneli,
Please post the reverse side of your coin.  There are couple minor varieties of the 1997 1/10 you may be interested in.

Offline Vreneli

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 01:27:19 PM »
Will do, tomorrow...

Offline Vreneli

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »
No need for another photo, the reverse is identical with this one:

http://www.apmex.com/Product/61674/China_1997_10_Yuan_1_10_oz_Gold_Coin_of_Auspicious_Matters.aspx

As a matter of fact, I haven't seen any others. Looking forward to what you can tell me about variations. With pics, if you have, would be nice...

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »
Vreneli,

It is a very beautiful coin you got there, congrats to you. May I know how much you pay for it in Europe so that we can compare with US prices.

Offline Vreneli

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »
I wrote this a little up already, around $220-230, so not much of a difference to US prices.