Author Topic: Fake NGC slab danger  (Read 111820 times)

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
Re: Fake NGC slab danger
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2012, 09:18:48 PM »
Sandac

I posted photo's of 2770113-003 on the thread below.
<http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=3345.msg33504#msg33504> in Feb.

Could post more if required. Purchased on ebay and did report once I got affirmation from the forum.
 I recently saw on NGC that it had been DELETED. Not knowing what that meant I contacted to inquire. The response was send a photo which I did. They confirmed FAKE..I inquired as to clues, from my novice eye. it is hard to tell the real from? NGC wouldn't reveal any clues, saying they have secret (somethings) as clues. But wouldn't reveal as they are secret.
Told me to look at slabs of authentic and compare..I have and other then shaking( the fake rattles ) the slab there's not much difference.

Harder to tell slab counterfeit then the coin.

Has anyone broken a FAKE  slab open yet??
Love to by don't want to ruin it's future FAKE collector value.
I went back to your original posts that you've provided a link to.  I think you have a case of bait-and-switch.  The original fuzzy photo looks close enough, but the one you received is definitely not the one advertised.  I place three photo together, the left one is the advertised photo, the center one is what you received, and the right one is the NGC file photo for 2770113-003.  The left and right ones are close enough, but the center one is definitely a different design.  See the difference in the pattern of the floral ring.  Furthurmore, the fake coin has a smaller diameter than the real coin.  This is why it rattle in the NGC holder as you've reported.  Does this means the forger does not have access to different size of inserts, so they use the same insert as in the original holder?  Not only does a forger has to fake the slab, label, NGC hologram, they also have to have a wide range of inserts to hold different size coin, but that's too much work so given a limited selection of insert, they can only forge just few size of coins.  
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:25:15 PM by SANDAC »

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2012, 09:44:12 PM »
NGC said they will accept all graded silver pagodas for their inspection process.........

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2012, 11:15:11 PM »
I went back to your original posts that you've provided a link to.  I think you have a case of bait-and-switch.  The original fuzzy photo looks close enough, but the one you received is definitely not the one advertised.  I place three photo together, the left one is the advertised photo, the center one is what you received, and the right one is the NGC file photo for 2770113-003.  The left and right ones are close enough, but the center one is definitely a different design.  See the difference in the pattern of the floral ring.  Furthurmore, the fake coin has a smaller diameter than the real coin.  This is why it rattle in the NGC holder as you've reported.  Does this means the forger does not have access to different size of inserts, so they use the same insert as in the original holder?  Not only does a forger has to fake the slab, label, NGC hologram, they also have to have a wide range of inserts to hold different size coin, but that's too much work so given a limited selection of insert, they can only forge just few size of coins.   

Based on the pictures, the fake coin does not have reeded edges.

Offline dkhalsa

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2012, 10:00:24 AM »
The bait and switch theory, makes  sense and obvious.
Thanks for your learned eye and knowledge.

The edge is reeded, as you will see with updated photos.
In it all, it is a good learning.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 10:16:08 AM by dkhalsa »

albertmorison

« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2012, 07:27:11 AM »
Yes i agree with your thought. There is too much corruption so be careful when you invest money for buying gold coins. There is a little bit difference  between the original and duplicate.SANDAC represent in a very good way.Thanks SANDAC.

Offline swoodrin81

• New
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »
I recently purchased a 1987 Mazu coin on ebay. The seller made no mention that it was an NGC graded coin. The picture of the coin did not show the NGC holder. To my surprise, when I got the coin in the mail, it was NGC graded PF 69 deep cameo. It is in slab -206. Has a hologram on it and looks completely real. The day after I purchased the coin, ebay notified me the auction had been cancelled, but at that point I had already paid. The seller according to ebay was in British Columbia, but the coin itself came from China. The address the coin was shipped from was as follows...
yehonglian
floor2,building1,no.8 changting road
daxin industrial park
Suzhou Jiangsu
China 215151

The coin came with a note saying the reason the NGC label appeared faint was because the seller had owned it for over 10 years. Another odd note...on the package the seller declared this package as containing a necklace worth just 15$.
The coin has all of the "fake" characteristics as displayed in the photos in the earlier thread. I looked on NGC website and compared it to the original and can see obvious differences...I would have done this comparison earlier if I had known my purhcase was a graded coin, but the seller did not mention it was graded, and the picture was very blurry. Wish I would have read all of these comments before I bought it. Hope my information helps you all in your cause. -Steve

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2012, 06:00:21 PM »
I recently purchased a 1987 Mazu coin on ebay. The seller made no mention that it was an NGC graded coin. The picture of the coin did not show the NGC holder. To my surprise, when I got the coin in the mail, it was NGC graded PF 69 deep cameo. It is in slab -206. Has a hologram on it and looks completely real. The day after I purchased the coin, ebay notified me the auction had been cancelled, but at that point I had already paid. The seller according to ebay was in British Columbia, but the coin itself came from China. The address the coin was shipped from was as follows...
yehonglian
floor2,building1,no.8 changting road
daxin industrial park
Suzhou Jiangsu
China 215151

The coin came with a note saying the reason the NGC label appeared faint was because the seller had owned it for over 10 years. Another odd note...on the package the seller declared this package as containing a necklace worth just 15$.
The coin has all of the "fake" characteristics as displayed in the photos in the earlier thread. I looked on NGC website and compared it to the original and can see obvious differences...I would have done this comparison earlier if I had known my purhcase was a graded coin, but the seller did not mention it was graded, and the picture was very blurry. Wish I would have read all of these comments before I bought it. Hope my information helps you all in your cause. -Steve

Swoodrin81:

This coin and transaction looked very suspicious, to say the least. The fact that ebay notified you the auction had been cancelled should be alarming enough. If I were you, I would file a "not as described" case with eBay immediately asking for refund. There's a 99.99% chance you will be successful with your case. Be sure to take careful photos and keep documents of all paper trails to ensure getting your money back.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 06:03:14 PM by dynamike51 »

Offline Silverfever

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2012, 08:18:06 PM »
Do you mind sharing the seller's ebay ID so that we can avoid him?

Offline swoodrin81

• New
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2013, 11:41:14 AM »
etdugio....the listing was removed from ebay, but not until after I purchased the item...the seller hasnt sold anything since and has 0 feedback.
Thanks

Offline panda88

• Trade Count: (+24)

Offline Dr650rob

« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2013, 08:45:32 PM »
Another one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1989-panda-gold-coin-pf-69-ultra-cameo-/170968384959?pt=Bullion_US&hash=item27ce8285bf

Here's what he said

thank u for bringing this to my attention. the coin has been tested and was passed by the ngc. the coin was also looked at by Bellevue rare coins as well so I am pretty sure it is real thanks again.

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2013, 08:54:46 PM »
Hey- if I recall, didn't Bellevue sell others of these?  Does anybody know them well enough to ask them their source?
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter

Offline panda88

• Trade Count: (+24)
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2013, 11:47:19 PM »