Author Topic: Will a "Dipped" Coin Receive a grade from NGC?  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
Will a "Dipped" Coin Receive a grade from NGC?
« on: November 04, 2012, 01:24:12 PM »
So I bought a less than perfect 1999 serif 1 panda from my LCS, which had just taken the coin to Mish's Int'l. They're good buddies so Mish 'cleaned it up a bit.' I assume that this means he dipped it, since it now looks very shiny.

Is this coin actually gradable, or would that be a complete waste of time because it would be returned as ungradable? Although I am not interested in grading it, maybe a future buyer would be, so I'd like to know what to tell that person.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Offline buynicething

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Will a "Dipped" Coin Receive a grade from NGC?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 12:19:04 AM »
I once cleaned a coin with a solution called ms70.  I sent said coin to ncs and it did receive a grade.  It is thus my opinion that if you dip or clean a coin without scratching it you can expect a grade from ncs.  All ncs does is clean your coin.  If you do it properly there there is really no way that ngc should know if you or ncs cleaned it.  I would be worried about sending a cleaned coin directly to ngc though.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:57:08 AM »
According to a veteran Chinese dealer Bai Bing, dipped coins are gradable. But he gave the advice not to dip the Winter Olympics silver coins, the Chinese Olympics Committee silver coins or the piedfort Ancient Inventions and Discoveries.

Offline PCGS-ASIA

• Trade Count: (0)
    • PCGS-ASIA
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 12:11:52 AM »

Speaking for PCGS:

From the grading room:  "light dipping does not necessarily preclude a coin from receiving a numerical grade".

However, have it done professionally or experiment enough that you can do it yourself.
You can screw up your coin enough to get it in a details holder pretty easily.

So be careful!