Author Topic: Pagodas again  (Read 2159 times)

Offline marcusboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
Pagodas again
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:08:59 PM »
Much has been said about pagodas. I am curious to know what might be the value of these pagodas in OMP but with no box or certificate? Forgive my ignorance but I am also interested to know whether the chinese (in China) are as keen on them as those outside China? Any views?

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pagodas again
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:30:40 PM »
Posts on CCF say the US/World market favors silver pagodas but the Chinese regard other medals more highly.  The pagodas did make the medals list.  The US/World market wants low mintage.  The Chinese priority is culture or heritage.  A PF 69 UC set w/ no box sold for about $4000 recently.  I think Xu was asking $4500 for his last OMP set.  Becareful w/ OMP as they maybe silver plate.  At some point the pagoda box or other rare MCC box will break the $500 mark.  Not soon, but it will happen.  Many rare MCC boxes were discarded so they are more rare than the coins/medals.  See photos of some of Exchange's rare box collection.  Collectors want the original box/coa for their OMP or graded coins/medals.  A set of PF 69 UC sold for $25,000 or $6,000+ each last year.  This is another reason the US/World market favors pagodas.  Also I emailed NGC yesterday to ask when their article on pagodas will be published but no response yet...................

Offline Panda Express

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 10:48:21 PM »

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 11:45:08 PM »
I believe the majority view is that Pagoda is quite a bit cheaper in China than in the US.  Althought it is possible that the China price is distorted, representing a mix of silver plated Pagoda and silver Pagoda.  I say that because some of the Pagoda for sale in China appeared to be silver plated, but the sellers made no attempt to advertise them as such.  The Pagoda set Panda Express linked to appears to be a silver Pagoda set.  That was a very good price, IF it is authenticated.  I myself like to buy coins raw, but in the case of Pagoda, I would definitely only buy the graded one.

Due to the peculiar history of the older MCC and the "friction" of international commerce, I think of their pricing in term of gradient radiating from the original point of distribution.  The closer you are (in time and location) to the original point of distribution, the cheaper the price, the older the item, the greater the price gradient is required for it to flow, and the more the economy at the original point of distribution is distressed, the less price gradient is needed for a coin to flow.  Examples:  USA is the point of origin for Panda, therefore Panda is cheaper here than elsewhere;  Germany is the point of origin for Historical Figures, Invention & Discovery so they are cheaper there.  Europe is under great deal of economical stress, so dealers and collectors are willing to sell now at the nominal price than wait later for a better price.  Silver Pagoda set are old (1984) and are mostly in the hand of collectors nearing the original point of distribution.  Collectors are not dealers, collectors don't have to move merchandise regularly.  It takes much greater price differential than the nominal for collectors to sell Pagoda.  

So the question I have is what is the original point of distribution of silver Pagoda?  If it is in China, that may partly explain why is is cheaper there than in the USA, but if it is in Germany, then the pricing makes no sense.  I don't know, and I hope someone can enlighten me.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:49:19 PM by SANDAC »

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 12:47:03 AM »
i will put a PF 67 Songyue and PF 68 Yingxian for sale on CCF tomorrow.........

Offline fractalfate

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »
Very insightful view, SANDAC!