Author Topic: Perhaps a good deal on a 1/2 oz gold panda?  (Read 19800 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
Perhaps a good deal on a 1/2 oz gold panda?
« on: October 28, 2012, 09:05:18 PM »
In the spirit of freely sharing information, and in treating people the way you'd like to be treated, I'll point out the following.  As I write this, the spot price of gold is about $1715, meaning the spot price of a half ounce of gold is about $858.  I noticed that Apmex is currently selling PCGS MS69 2007 gold 1/2 oz pandas for $958.

http://www.apmex.com/Product/23553/2007_1_2_oz_Gold_Chinese_Pandas___MS_69_PCGS.aspx

The authorized mintage on this coin appears to be 60,000.  I'm not sure of the actual mintage or how many were melted, but if I can pick up a PCGS certified MS69 of a China gold coin of that mintage for 100 bucks over spot, when it is listed by reputable dealers elsewhere for over $100 more, then that seems like a pretty good deal.  I bought two at that price.  It seems like a reasonable bullion play with a numismatic twist.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do own many gold 1/2 oz and 1 oz pandas.  And, there is a downside risk if the spot price of gold plummets...Those individuals who are more knowledgeable than I am are welcome to chime in on whether they think this is, or is not, a good entry point for a long term investment.  I welcome the discussion and the learning experience.

Reciprocally, if one of you all finds what you think is a good deal, let me (us) know.  We can think for ourselves whether we want to make a purchase, but we can help each other out in sniffing out prospects.

Offline panda

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Perhaps a good deal on a 1/2 oz gold panda?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 09:35:58 PM »
I always think APMEX is a bad panda recycle bin

Offline panda

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 09:38:38 PM »
You can only see "stock picture" instead of actual coin picture.

I bought serveral  NGC MS69 silver pandas from APMEX, half have white spot and 1 even has a huge black spot

Offline panda

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 09:39:24 PM »
I will never buy coins from APMEX, but thanks for your sharing.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 10:05:42 PM »
In the spirit of freely sharing information, and in treating people the way you'd like to be treated, I'll point out the following.  As I write this, the spot price of gold is about $1715, meaning the spot price of a half ounce of gold is about $858.  I noticed that Apmex is currently selling PCGS MS69 2007 gold 1/2 oz pandas for $958.

http://www.apmex.com/Product/23553/2007_1_2_oz_Gold_Chinese_Pandas___MS_69_PCGS.aspx

The authorized mintage on this coin appears to be 60,000.  I'm not sure of the actual mintage or how many were melted, but if I can pick up a PCGS certified MS69 of a China gold coin of that mintage for 100 bucks over spot, when it is listed by reputable dealers elsewhere for over $100 more, then that seems like a pretty good deal.  I bought two at that price.  It seems like a reasonable bullion play with a numismatic twist.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do own many gold 1/2 oz and 1 oz pandas.  And, there is a downside risk if the spot price of gold plummets...Those individuals who are more knowledgeable than I am are welcome to chime in on whether they think this is, or is not, a good entry point for a long term investment.  I welcome the discussion and the learning experience.

Reciprocally, if one of you all finds what you think is a good deal, let me (us) know.  We can think for ourselves whether we want to make a purchase, but we can help each other out in sniffing out prospects.

Birdman:

Congrats on your new position !!! Wish you had a better pay rate, though.  :biggrin:

" In the interest of full disclosure, I do own many gold 1/2 oz and 1 oz pandas. "

What you did there is great. Wish all staff members will take note and follow suit.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 10:24:15 PM »

What you did there is great. Wish all staff members will take note and follow suit.

I don't have any 1oz gold pandas at all....   :biggrin:

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 10:29:41 PM »
I don't have any 1oz gold pandas at all....   :biggrin:

PH,

That's because you're the smart one. 1/2 oz denomination is rarer than 1 oz - thanks to you, now I'm starting to collect 1/2 oz varieties.

In any event, my comment wasn't directed at you, PH. You're in the clear.   :laugh:

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 12:43:32 PM »
Thanks PH for the good deal alert. I do think it is a good deal, if the coins are clean.

Now, I have a potentially good deal tip on a non-chinese silver coin with a mintage of 900! The seller is running a "Halloween" special that will make the coin even more attractive. Since it is a non-chinese coin, I will not get into details here. If anyone is interested, email me r3globe@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Offline Josip Broz Tito

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 01:13:54 PM »
@Birdman

You did god purchase, 200 Yuan 1/2oz Gold Panda 2007 has a Mintage of 42 700  :thumbup:

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 02:07:12 PM »
Thanks PH for the good deal alert. I do think it is a good deal, if the coins are clean.

Now, I have a potentially good deal tip on a non-chinese silver coin with a mintage of 900! The seller is running a "Halloween" special that will make the coin even more attractive. Since it is a non-chinese coin, I will not get into details here. If anyone is interested, email me r3globe@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Not my alert. It was Birdman's : )

Offline wg

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 03:39:32 PM »
I don't have any 1oz gold pandas at all....   :biggrin:

however - small pandas have a nice omp   :biggrin:

regards

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:42:00 PM by wg »

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 03:57:31 PM »
however - small pandas have a nice omp   :biggrin:

regards

Is that your stash of gold pandas?!  Lovely :)

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 04:21:21 PM »
Is that your stash of gold pandas?!  Lovely :)

That's ONE of the many stashes.   :w00t:

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 04:22:20 PM »
@Birdman

You did god purchase, 200 Yuan 1/2oz Gold Panda 2007 has a Mintage of 42 700  :thumbup:

I didn't know this updated mintage info had been released for 2007....when was it released and by what source?   Thanks for sharing, that's good to know.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 04:32:54 PM »
I didn't know this updated mintage info had been released for 2007....when was it released and by what source?   Thanks for sharing, that's good to know.
Yes, I had the same thought and the same question.  Interesting.