Author Topic: What's on your shelf?  (Read 36526 times)

Offline PandaOrLunar

• Trade Count: (0)
What's on your shelf?
« on: October 27, 2012, 11:15:47 PM »
What is on your bookshelf?  Let me start with some of my favorite.

Offline PandaOrLunar

Re: What's on your shelf?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 02:15:37 PM »
Excellent topic.  Educating oneself by consulting diverse sources is important.  Doing your own research, thinking for yourself, and drawing your own conclusions is good practice.

As people post additional reference books, it would be great to also post where someone might be able to purchase such books online.  I will probably want to order a few of the ones that get listed.  Peter Anthony's Gold and Silver Panda Buyers Guide has been quite useful, and I will order the 2nd edition, but I'd like to expand my library and get different perspectives and reference images.  Thanks.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 06:04:20 PM »
Excellent topic.  Educating oneself by consulting diverse sources is important.  Doing your own research, thinking for yourself, and drawing your own conclusions is good practice.

As people post additional reference books, it would be great to also post where someone might be able to purchase such books online.  I will probably want to order a few of the ones that get listed.  Peter Anthony's Gold and Silver Panda Buyers Guide has been quite useful, and I will order the 2nd edition, but I'd like to expand my library and get different perspectives and reference images.  Thanks.

As a follow-up... last week I ordered the following two books that I found on http://www.pandaamerica.com/

Book - China 1988-1990 Modern Chinese Commemorative Gold and Silver Coins and Medals 
Book of China Pandas and Other Chinese Modern Issue Gold and Silver Coins (2012 Edition)

I don't know much about them yet, but the delivery is waiting for me to pick up at the post office.  I look forward to perusing them, although I won't be able to read the Chinese.  Can someone else speak to the pros and cons of any of the books listed so far, so that other members might have more information in case they want to order one.  Again, also, please list other vendors that sell such books.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 08:50:07 PM »
I bought the same "Book - China 1988-1990 Modern Chinese Commemorative Gold and Silver Coins and Medals" from PandaAmerica last year.

Most of my books are from eBay.  Few were from bookstores around Guangzhou a while back during a visit.

Offline dobedo

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 10:50:18 PM »
That's the one I'd like to have on my shelf...once it's translated ...maybe by fwang2450?

Re: Huang Ruiyong's "Three Little Dragons" and "Five Golden Flowers"
« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:53:41 AM » by fwang2450

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: dobedo on Today at 05:00:53 AM

Is this the same author "Huang Rui Yong" of Sheng Shi Feng Ya Song? I found this book on http://www.studychineseculture.com/book.asp?id=5144 by him (that's one of the very few sites I found which can ship directly from China to US with PayPal). Has anyone read it? Is it any good? Does it have lots of pictures like these 3 dragons and 5 flowers mentioned here?

Yes. That is the same author. Huang is as famous as Ge in China, but writes more about MCC and is known as the "high priest" of MCC because of his relentless effort to spread the MCC culture in China. Sheng Shi Feng Ya Song (Ode to Grace in a Prosperous Time) is a must read for MCC collectors, as it spells out approaches for beginners, intermediate collectors and top collectors. It has tons of information with pictures, such as discussion on patterns. The problem is that it is in Chinese only.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 09:25:22 PM »
Two more books for today.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 07:38:51 PM »
Eight books posted and no one have any books to share?

Here are Mr. Anthony and Mr. Ge's books.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 05:14:05 PM »
Books 1:

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »
Books 2

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 08:16:25 PM »
2 more today.

Online KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 10:23:26 PM »
100th Anniversary of Shenyang Mint - This was the best book on the market back in 2008, because it was the only source that showed lower mintages for gold panda proof sets, BU silver pandas, unicorns, bimetals, cultural pieces, etc.  If it wasn't for this book my collection value today would have been only 15-25% of what it is.  This book focused my investment dollars only on coins that had much lower mintages than what was published in more common sources like COAs and the red book.  Today the same strategy can be used to achieve outperformance, find errors in published mintages in newer books and go long accordingly.  Arif

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 09:51:46 AM »
100th Anniversary of Shenyang Mint - This was the best book on the market back in 2008, because it was the only source that showed lower mintages for gold panda proof sets, BU silver pandas, unicorns, bimetals, cultural pieces, etc.  If it wasn't for this book my collection value today would have been only 15-25% of what it is.  This book focused my investment dollars only on coins that had much lower mintages than what was published in more common sources like COAs and the red book.  Today the same strategy can be used to achieve outperformance, find errors in published mintages in newer books and go long accordingly.  Arif

Words of wisdom.  Thanks, Arif.

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 10:43:05 AM »
What constitutes an error in published mintages???  Do we believe the red book, COAs, 100th Anniversary of Shenyang Mint book, purple book, or whatever other color book??? Anybody can write a book claiming such and such mintages. There is no way to verify. Following these books is a crap-shoot at best. You may get lucky, or you may get burned. One thing for sure about China; NEVER believe anything that is published is 100% true. The purpose of the media here in China is to manipulate the masses. Bottom line=like what you collect, and collect what you like! It has been said many times before. Happy collecting!

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 12:07:14 PM »
"Bottom line=like what you collect, and collect what you like!"

100% agreed

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 06:36:46 PM »

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 12:57:44 AM »
Bottom line="like what you collect, and collect what you like!" 100% agree about collecting, but 100% disagree about "bottom line" tag

Top Line: "like what you collect, and collect what you like!" Collecting gives one satisfaction of owning things that provide personal gratification, with little regard to investment potential.  Collecting is fun and a great hobby to pass time and build camaraderie.  Collecting cost money similar to buying a fancy car with little regard to future value of the purchase, but you get to enjoy your purchase everyday.  I used to collect baseball cards back in the 1980s, today they are worth much less than when I purchased them in the mid 80s, despite  keeping only cards in top grade with low populations.  I will continue to collect them because I enjoyed buying wax packs, sorting and grading cards as a teenager and even if they are only worth the paper they are printed on in the future, my living standard will not be impacted in any way.  This is collecting or owning someting you like with little regard to the future value.  I used to do it when I was young, I still do it as tiny faction of my income.  How much income you devote to collecting is a personal decision and should not be questioned by anyone. 

Bottom line: "invest in what is undervalued, sell what is overvalued"  Investing is finding opportunities in which the market opinion of the masses is incorrect, but at some point will be corrected or at least improved upon.  Books, COAs, blogs, forum, etc provide a guide to what the masses believe.  The more popular a book or forum is, the more likely it is an excellent representation of the market view.  All books,  COAs, blogs, forum, etc are going to be proven wrong as the market matures and as more coins get graded, however, in the meantime there are abundant opportunities to "front run" inaccurate mintage estimate based on your OWN research of the market, while making outstanding returns in the process.  For example, in the summer of 2011 I put up a 1979 year of child silver piefort on ebay for $45,000 Best Offer and an estimated mintage of 100-200 vs published mintage of 2000 (Mr. Gee book and Red Book).  I got several emails from people wanting to buy the coin at $10,000-$15,000 with the statement that I am misrepresenting the mintage of the coin by a factor of 10. My response, I will gladly buy as many of that coin priced at five times the price of a comparable 2000 mintage 1 oz modern Chinese silver coin, no one took me up on the offer, despite their initial bold statement.  How did I estimate the mintage, I looked at NGC population reports and found only 10 silver piefort coins had been graded and this was slightly higher than the graded population for my 1992 platinum invention and discovery coins that had 7 coins/each graded at the time.  The COA for the invention and discovery coins stated a mintage of 100, so using that as reference post, I estimated the mintage of the silver piefort was 100-200 (10/7 = 1.4).  I have no certainty that this range is correct, but it is better view of future estimate of the mintage than what the masses believe of 2000, therefore I priced the coin like a 100 mintage piece rather than 2000 mintage piece.  The coin did sell shorty close to my initial offer price to a more sophisticated and deeper pocket collector or investor than myself.

Final Line:  invest prudently based on your OWN research, so you can have more money to collect what you like in the future.  If you can't do your OWN research hire someone to manage your investments or find an investment in which you can do OWN research.  Following the masses will usually end in tears, seen this play out 100s of times in stamps, sports cards, stocks, futures, options on stocks/futures and modern Chinese coins - don't let it happen to you.  Luckily for all of us, the true masses are yet not in this market, when they will be, I will not be in this market, with exception few collector pieces (TBD).

Arif         

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »
Bottom line="like what you collect, and collect what you like!" 100% agree about collecting, but 100% disagree about "bottom line" tag

Top Line: "like what you collect, and collect what you like!" Collecting gives one satisfaction of owning things that provide personal gratification, with little regard to investment potential.  Collecting is fun and a great hobby to pass time and build camaraderie.  Collecting cost money similar to buying a fancy car with little regard to future value of the purchase, but you get to enjoy your purchase everyday.  I used to collect baseball cards back in the 1980s, today they are worth much less than when I purchased them in the mid 80s, despite  keeping only cards in top grade with low populations.  I will continue to collect them because I enjoyed buying wax packs, sorting and grading cards as a teenager and even if they are only worth the paper they are printed on in the future, my living standard will not be impacted in any way.  This is collecting or owning someting you like with little regard to the future value.  I used to do it when I was young, I still do it as tiny faction of my income.  How much income you devote to collecting is a personal decision and should not be questioned by anyone. 

Bottom line: "invest in what is undervalued, sell what is overvalued"  Investing is finding opportunities in which the market opinion of the masses is incorrect, but at some point will be corrected or at least improved upon.  Books, COAs, blogs, forum, etc provide a guide to what the masses believe.  The more popular a book or forum is, the more likely it is an excellent representation of the market view.  All books,  COAs, blogs, forum, etc are going to be proven wrong as the market matures and as more coins get graded, however, in the meantime there are abundant opportunities to "front run" inaccurate mintage estimate based on your OWN research of the market, while making outstanding returns in the process.  For example, in the summer of 2011 I put up a 1979 year of child silver piefort on ebay for $45,000 Best Offer and an estimated mintage of 100-200 vs published mintage of 2000 (Mr. Gee book and Red Book).  I got several emails from people wanting to buy the coin at $10,000-$15,000 with the statement that I am misrepresenting the mintage of the coin by a factor of 10. My response, I will gladly buy as many of that coin priced at five times the price of a comparable 2000 mintage 1 oz modern Chinese silver coin, no one took me up on the offer, despite their initial bold statement.  How did I estimate the mintage, I looked at NGC population reports and found only 10 silver piefort coins had been graded and this was slightly higher than the graded population for my 1992 platinum invention and discovery coins that had 7 coins/each graded at the time.  The COA for the invention and discovery coins stated a mintage of 100, so using that as reference post, I estimated the mintage of the silver piefort was 100-200 (10/7 = 1.4).  I have no certainty that this range is correct, but it is better view of future estimate of the mintage than what the masses believe of 2000, therefore I priced the coin like a 100 mintage piece rather than 2000 mintage piece.  The coin did sell shorty close to my initial offer price to a more sophisticated and deeper pocket collector or investor than myself.

Final Line:  invest prudently based on your OWN research, so you can have more money to collect what you like in the future.  If you can't do your OWN research hire someone to manage your investments or find an investment in which you can do OWN research.  Following the masses will usually end in tears, seen this play out 100s of times in stamps, sports cards, stocks, futures, options on stocks/futures and modern Chinese coins - don't let it happen to you.  Luckily for all of us, the true masses are yet not in this market, when they will be, I will not be in this market, with exception few collector pieces (TBD).

Arif         

Great post. 

I, too, collected baseball cards as a younster, mainly about 1980-82.  I bought them in the wax packs and tried to get every player in the series.  I spent countless hours sorting the cards and looking at the statistics.  The first few sets I put together were not in the best condition, owing to all of this handling of the cards.  I soon learned from a friend that the cards were actually valuable in good condition.  You could buy a pack for about 25 cents and get a stack of cards with the gum.  If you got an uncommon rookie card, it could be worth many times what you just paid for the package if you kept it in good condition.  That was an investing eye-opener for a youngster.

Such a high immediate yield on an investment attracts attention.  More people started getting interested in the cards.  Some investors bought many complete sets from dealers, never looked at the cards, and put the boxes in storage and watched their returns compound over a few years.  That brought more people into the hobby, and then card companies started printing huge numbers of cards.  This oversupply of cards in the mid-1980's destroyed any investment prospects for those later cards.  The prices of the cards soared to such heights and then plummeted.  Fortunately, the vast majority of my cards were purchased in the gum package for pennies per card.

This sort of pattern has been repeated for a variety of collectables.  Where Chinese coins are in this cycle will be clear only many years in the future looking back.  I get some comfort in knowing that what I am collecting has the underlying value of gold instead of cardboard, so there is an inherent inflationary hedge.  But it is wise words to always think about what you are doing and why, and not just follow the crowds.

Independent research is quite important.  NGC census data is a great source of information, although those new to such data bases should keep in mind that the NGC data are sometimes incomplete or reported in a way that is difficult to interpret.  I'm sure someone else could chime in with a great cautionary example (date/denomination/variety??).  In such cases, a particular coin or variety may appear extremely rare but is actually more common.  And, vice versa, a shrewd investor might have had a hoard of a particular scarce date/variety and he sent them all in for grading at the same time.  Looking only at the census data, it might appear that that coin is common, but it is not.  Accordingly, it is always good to cross check the results of such NGC data research with auction results and other data to get a sense of how frequent a coin is available for sale.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 11:36:44 AM »
Good posts!  Arif keep giving us newbies information on this market..............

Offline silver222

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
...... Following the masses will usually end in tears, seen this play out 100s of times in stamps, sports cards, stocks, futures, options on stocks/futures and modern Chinese coins - don't let it happen to you.  Luckily for all of us, the true masses are yet not in this market, when they will be, I will not be in this market, with exception few collector pieces (TBD).

Arif         

No kidding!  My wife used to collect (of all things) Hallmark ornaments!, and could sell "extras" from her collection at 10x the cost pre-ebay.  Hallmarked ramped the new supply to match demand, and the event of ebay brought out tons of "old" supply (everyone had an old Hallmark ornament stuffed in the closet).  Now most sell at 1/2 the cost or less!

We need more discussions like this on the forum, because MCC is the latest craze.  What part of the cycle are we in, and what research does one use to gauge this?

silver222

Offline Imperial_Dragon

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 01:48:50 AM »
Off the shelf more than on it!

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 06:15:28 PM »
First book: Huang Ruiyong's 2009 book. fwang has done an excellet job in translating some of the chapters.

Second book: Zhao Yanshen's new book, published last month.

Third book: Sun Ke-qin's new book, published last month.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:25:16 PM by poconopenn »

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 06:24:06 PM »
ANA grading stardard for US coins. This is an excellent book for grading coins if you are a collector of imperial and republic coins.

Coin Chenistry is an excellet book to learn the chemistry of coin preservation.

Offline 从心出发

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »
First book: Huang Ruiyong's 2009 book. fwang has done an excellet job in translating some of the chapters.

Poconopenn,

Can you let me know where to buy the 2nd and 3rd book in your list?

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 12:16:55 AM »
Poconopenn,

Can you let me know where to buy the 2nd and 3rd book in your list?

I have emailed you the information.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 12:27:38 AM »
Books for ancient coins.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 12:42:16 AM »
Books for Imperial and Republic coins.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 12:57:24 AM »
Large copper medals.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 08:27:55 AM »
Many books today are posted online.  Is it possible to access these Chinese coin books online?...........

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, 12:52:34 PM »

For those members who have asked about the place to purchase 2nd and 3rd books. Here are the web links inside China.

http://www.amazon.cn/中国现代贵金属币市场分析-赵燕生/dp/B009XPXBJ0

http://www.amazon.cn/中国现代流通硬币标准图录-孙克勤/dp/B009J8UN0G

The price listed at amazon.cn is actually cheaper than mine.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:09:16 PM by poconopenn »

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2012, 02:21:18 PM »
I see that my stateside account does not worked on .cn site and the books are not available on the .com site.

Offline Dr650rob

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2012, 06:40:19 PM »
Is that mr ge's book really helpful even though its in Chinese

Offline PCGS-ASIA

• PCGS-ASIA
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2012, 06:51:20 PM »
Ge's is the small purple one.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2012, 07:17:22 PM »
When come to MCC, unfortunately, there is no one completed authoritative source of information.  So any source is a bit of information to the puzzle.

Offline 从心出发

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
This book is a must have for anyone who collect China coins, whether Imperial/Republic or MCC.

钱币大王 - 马定祥传奇

Offline Dr650rob

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 09:19:27 PM »
Well what do you think is the second best book on mcc besides pa's book

Offline Dr650rob

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2012, 11:01:15 PM »
Does any one know the English name of mr ge's book or where I can buy it?

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 01:20:42 AM »
Does any one know the English name of mr ge's book or where I can buy it?

Found one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130793695942
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 01:22:48 AM by NBM »

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 03:15:33 PM »

I found a local stateside Asian book distributor that is ordering the Second and Third books mentioned by poconopenn shipped to me from China for around $50 total.
The shipping is a large portion of this cost. This is the price that I am paying to obtain them. Perhaps it is too much but it seemed worth it to simultaneously support my local book store and increase my numismatic knowledge.
*I understand that my books are presently in transit (2 week FedEx shipping).
If other forum members also want to obtain these books please PM me. After I receive my books in good order I will try to put together a larger order of them.
Alternatively, if someone knows of a more economical way to get them please post it. If not then please PM me and I will start making an order list.

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • China Mint
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 03:50:14 PM »
Here are mine:

Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.
China Mint | Online Store

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 04:13:20 PM »
My wife bought my kids an "elf on the shelf".  Hopefully none of you dads or moms have one of those!

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
    • China Mint
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »
ph, Ge's 2012 issue is red color.   :001_smile:
Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.

Offline PCGS-ASIA

• PCGS-ASIA
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 10:06:46 PM »
This book is a must have for anyone who collect China coins, whether Imperial/Republic or MCC.

钱币大王 - 马定祥传奇

Great!  你打算什么时候寄给我一本呢?^_^

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
    • China Mint
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 10:19:07 PM »
我也要一本。  ^_^
Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.

Offline Straitssettlementshop

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 11:08:57 PM »
ph, Ge's 2012 issue is red color.   :001_smile:

Hi Snow Ball,

Mr.Ge's 2012 red color book just came out is it ?

Thanks.

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
    • China Mint
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 11:26:50 PM »
Yes.   My friend bought the copy at the 2012 Beijing Coin Convention last month.  Mr. Ge was there introducing his new book.  :001_smile:

Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.

Offline 从心出发

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2012, 12:10:42 AM »
If I am not wrong, Mr. Ge's 2012 has been available for sale since beginning of 2012.

Offline 从心出发

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 12:17:10 AM »
Great!  你打算什么时候寄给我一本呢?^_^

我也要一本。  ^_^

这本书三年前我不知读了几回,对于中国老藏家有了最初步的认识,更钦佩马老先生在最恶劣的环境里冒着生命危险收藏珍稀古币。

因为这本书,我对中国古币有了一份憧憬。

因为憧憬,很快就发现这家伙的博文 http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_4cdad0c60100hnie.html

说来惭愧,当时无知,竟然信以为真,好长时间远离中国钱币。这本书后来也不知藏在哪了。

我会找回这本书。

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 07:58:16 AM »
Mr. Ge's new book?  I have his book signed and dated 2011/12.  It is purple or dark red in color.  Does he have a more recent printing?  IF so, where can I buy one?............

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
    • China Mint
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2012, 08:06:32 AM »
Mr. Ge's new book?  I have his book signed and dated 2011/12.  It is purple or dark red in color.  Does he have a more recent printing?  IF so, where can I buy one?............

It is the red one here:
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6707.msg43177#msg43177

You can buy it from me.   :001_smile:

I should have some in hand by the end of the year.   

Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
    • China Mint
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2012, 08:15:55 AM »
If I am not wrong, Mr. Ge's 2012 has been available for sale since beginning of 2012.

Mr. Ge's book always come out by the end of each year, doesn't it?   :confused1:

My 2009 green book was signed on 10/22/2009.  The blue 2010 was signed on 11/1/2010. 

Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2012, 09:48:05 AM »
So it looks like they actually come out every 13 months.  :biggrin:

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2014, 12:42:59 AM »
A couple of recently acquired books. :biggrin:

Offline jwa1inv

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2014, 01:06:07 PM »
Here are two of mine not already covered by earlier posts.
The grey one is in Chinese and covers Modern China Coins from 1982 to 1997.
The 1992 also covers 1991 MCC with great illustrations of each coin series.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2014, 10:14:27 PM »
Mr. Ge's new book, published in Aug. 2014.

Here are the websites inside China to purchase this book.

http://www.amazon.cn/mn/detailApp/ref=asc_df_B00N1TDVY41149685/?asin=B00N1TDVY4&tag=douban-23&creative=2384&creativeASIN=B00N1TDVY4&linkCode=df0

http://www.taoshu.com/2239608.html

http://product.dangdang.com/23548747.html?_ddclickunion=P-306226-0-s25976856|ad_type=0|sys_id=1#dd_refer=http%3A%2F%2Fbook.douban.com%2Fsubject%2F25976856%2F

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2014, 09:16:27 AM »
Mr Ge's new book?   Will any dealers in the US have it for sale?   Please let me know..........

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2015, 02:15:09 PM »
Numismatic Photography, 2nd edition, 2009, ISBN 978-1933990040.  Frank Wang mentioned this book in one of our correspondences and I immediately bought it from Amazon.  I believe an accurately photographed coin is the best answer to the problem of fake coins.  It also helps you sell your coins.  Coin photography, however, is very different (and more difficult) than most macro photography due to the highly reflective proof coins and protective plastic capsules or slabs.  Having to photograph them straight-on makes the problems that much worse.  This book suggests various techniques to solve these problems.  It is a real eye opener for me.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2015, 02:35:05 PM »

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2015, 02:38:13 PM »
I will add my listing here, Confession by a Numismatic Fanatic, by Frank Robinson. A thoroughly enjoyable book touching on the major topics of numismatics. The style is very informal, but the thoughts are from a real master. I wish I had read this book three years ago. That would have saved a lot of my fumbling in the dark.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2015, 02:56:13 PM »
The Second Edition of Standard Catalog of Chinese Circulating Coins by Sun, Keqin, another book mentioned by Frank Wang.  Add a link here in the interest of topics consolidation
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=11656.0

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2015, 03:26:50 PM »
The Art and Science of Grading Coins by Jason Poe.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2015, 07:02:56 PM »
Some of my favorite things:

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2015, 07:22:34 PM »

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline jwa1inv

• Supporter
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2015, 07:24:04 PM »
Illustrated China Proof Coins Catalogue (1979-2011)
I bought it earlier this year.
This one has the Franklin Mint cards covered.
EBay seller coinsxzh has many China Numismatic books.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2015, 08:28:57 PM »
Some of my favorite things:

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Peter,
I noticed your book at upper left is open to 1986 Liu Bang 1/3oz gold.  Did it says anything about small/large date varieties?  I'm aware of 2 large date varieties (not recognized by NGC) that are hard to find and snowball recently help me purchased one of the large date in China which is on its way back to USA.  My unscientific observation is that large date varieties seem more common in China and there maybe an interesting story there.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2015, 09:58:44 PM »
Peter,
I noticed your book at upper left is open to 1986 Liu Bang 1/3oz gold.  Did it says anything about small/large date varieties?  I'm aware of 2 large date varieties (not recognized by NGC) that are hard to find and snowball recently help me purchased one of the large date in China which is on its way back to USA.  My unscientific observation is that large date varieties seem more common in China and there maybe an interesting story there.

The chapter has a good history of Liu Bang and nice photos, but unfortunately not much numismatic detail.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2015, 02:54:48 AM »
My tiny collection! :scared:
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2015, 03:11:34 PM »
2015 version of Mr. Ge's book.

Moderator:

For unknown reason, I have trouble to post picture in this thread; tried three times and failed.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2015, 07:11:07 PM »
poconopenn,
I noticed lately the software seems to behave inconsistently with image uploads, but I'm still able to upload (sometimes I'll need to retry) even with error message.  You already know about the max file size of 3 meg, but there is another limit: the x-dimension (in pixel) times y-dimension of a picture can not exceed 16,000,000.  Please check your image and try again.

I'll ask snowball about the inconsistent message after a file load.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2015, 08:51:40 PM »
SANDAC

I tried to upload again and failed. The picture is less than 1meg and dimension is 1400x1900. I had no problem to upload the picture in other thread yesterday, only this one.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
Mr. Ge's book, 2015 version.

SANDAC,

I just rename the picture and it works. Sorry, the problem may have something to do with the name of picture containing symbol (') which may interfere the upload.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2015, 06:46:22 AM »
Does this book replace Mr Ge's purple book?   Can we in the West (cannot read Chinese) see the numbers as in the purple book?   I have his new white book but it is all Chinese......Cost?........

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2016, 07:16:18 PM »
I finally got around to updating my shelf.

Offline Rainbird

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2016, 02:01:04 AM »
some of the reference books and auction catalogues I used.

Offline allgeekspcstore

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2016, 11:12:32 PM »
i need to get some of these books!

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2017, 05:16:55 PM »
New books published in Nov. 2017, one is for circulated coins and another one for MCC.

The second book has Chinese and English description of MCC. It also has pictures of many varieties. 

Offline Agpanda

• Supporter
    • agpandas
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2017, 02:56:22 AM »
Where can you buy the MCC book?

Offline Agpanda

• Supporter
    • agpandas
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2017, 05:34:45 AM »
Thanks

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2017, 05:56:09 AM »
$140 seems high for a book.  What is the price in China...anyone else selling in US?

Offline koc

• New
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2017, 06:27:57 AM »
Hi

Price in China is 300 rmb

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2017, 06:53:06 AM »
Thanks just what I thought....$45 seems right and just not $140.  Everyone should wait to buy as I am sure there will be available in the US at more reasonable prices.

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2017, 08:39:27 AM »
Yesterday, I read the post, perused the pictures, completed a search on ebay and purchased one of the available copies of the book.  At some point in the past, someone taught me to buy the book before I buy the coin.  This appears to be a very interesting and informative book which may help me sometime in the future when I wish to buy another coin or evaluate coins in my collection which may be recognized varieties.  It certainly was expensive.  Still, if it helps me, I will quickly recover the extra cost for the book. 

I am going to Asia soon, but I have learned that it is not easy for me to find numismatic books while traveling.  Apparently, these books hold little interest for the majority of people and are stocked in limited locations.

Mark Bonke

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2017, 01:09:54 PM »

The second book has Chinese and English description of MCC. It also has pictures of many varieties. 

Interesting to see the high date vs low date on 1988 Endangered Wildlife.  The same high date vs low date exist on the 1/3oz gold 1988 Historical Figure.  The difference is not obvious and I don't expect NGC to recognize it anytime soon.  Still it is interesting that Chinese literature begin to notice them.

The 1990 Dragon & Phoenix has many varieties.  The varieties of 2oz gold described in the book is not the most striking ones.  There are much more significant date shift as I noted here:
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6886.msg42304#msg42304

The silver D&P 2oz and 1oz have many more varieties than described in the book. 
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6886.msg48231#msg48231
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6886.msg42370#msg42370

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2017, 02:40:23 PM »
Thanks just what I thought....$45 seems right and just not $140.  Everyone should wait to buy as I am sure there will be available in the US at more reasonable prices.

If you want book in you hand in less than 2 weeks from China to US, the shipping cost will be more than the cost of book, unless you buy multiple copies.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2017, 02:53:43 PM »
Here are more pictures of varieties.

Disclosure: I do not know the authors of this book and do read their research articles posted in websites.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2017, 07:12:00 PM »

Thank you for the additional pages.  I don't recall the 1993 Marco Polo varieties so that is certainly informative.  The 1994 Unicorn has so many varieties I have to refer to this topic to remember them.
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=5974.15

I'm somewhat surprised of the 1988 double dragon small date vs large date.  The large date silver Y10 is indeed very very rare, something like one out of 100 and the price of 15-to-1 is probably reasonable.  However, the large date gold is not exactly common, either.  It is about 1 out of 15, so I think the 10% price differential is not right.  If I can get a large date G100Y for 10% over the small date, it is a steal, IMO.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2017, 07:31:22 PM »
I’ve been looking for a silver large date for some time with no avail.  If anyone wants to sell one I would be a buyer

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2017, 10:54:26 PM »
I’ve been looking for a silver large date for some time with no avail.  If anyone wants to sell one I would be a buyer

That may be quite challenging, especially in PF69.  NGC made it difficult to collect population data, so I stopped.  my database are about 2 years old now.  In it are 330 1988 double dragon entries and only 3 of them are Large Date and all of them are PF68.  This is before they are recognized as a variety so I believe the ratio is unbiased.   One cert number is particularly intriguing, 3683059.  A number of coins were submitted, the first three were the 1988 double dragon.  -001 is the Large Date and graded PF68.  -002 and -003 are small date and graded PF69.  Remember this was before the varieties were recognized.  Submitted side-by-side, NGC graders didn't recognize the varieties, and my guess is the owner didn't either.  If you have 3 coins, 2 are PF69 and 1 is PF68, chance are you'll sell off the PF68, and possibly cheaply!   hmm, that would make an interesting story...

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2017, 07:29:13 PM »
MCC version arrived today as I bit the bullit and paid the $140...I think it is worth it for the following reasons:

1) goes beyond pandas to include all MCC’s
2) has a couple new varieties I was unaware of with excellent pics
3) recognizes the 1992 high two  :thumbup: N18 N3

Two thumbs up for this new book!!

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2017, 10:47:08 PM »
You may recall that along with the assertion that 1992 high two is suspicions, Mr. Zhao also question the authenticity of 1987 1/10oz without P as well as 2001 silver Panda small-D.  Did these varieties made into your book?

Offline wg

« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2017, 05:14:34 AM »
my chinese friend wrote me ..
Now the book is proofreader Edition.   The formal book shall be published in 2 to 3 months.   

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2017, 02:16:35 PM »
1987, 1992 and 2001 are all in the book.  Do we know who the authors are?  I recognize King Chan as one.  a lot of the pics look like NGC variety pics...wonder if they have authorized use of them?

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2017, 03:00:27 PM »
1987, 1992 and 2001 are all in the book.  Do we know who the authors are?  I recognize King Chan as one.  a lot of the pics look like NGC variety pics...wonder if they have authorized use of them?

All authors (3) are NGC consultant for MCC. Therefore, all NGC recognized varieties are included in this book.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2017, 03:28:11 PM »
That shows experts disagreed about the three specific varieties.  The authors of the book probably have contributed to or certainly agree with NGC's determinations, sufficiently so that they chose to include the varieties in their own book.

While I thought of it, is the small date vs large date of 1986 Liu Bang in the book? 
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4585.msg69320#msg69320
IMHO, it is an obvious variety, but NGC hasn't recognized it, AFAIK.  I'm curious whether the consultants recognize more varieties than NGC does.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2017, 03:53:04 PM »
That shows experts disagreed about the three specific varieties.  The authors of the book probably have contributed to or certainly agree with NGC's determinations, sufficiently so that they chose to include the varieties in their own book.

While I thought of it, is the small date vs large date of 1986 Liu Bang in the book? 
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4585.msg69320#msg69320
IMHO, it is an obvious variety, but NGC hasn't recognized it, AFAIK.  I'm curious whether the consultants recognize more varieties than NGC does.

1986 and 1988 small and large date versions of historical figures gold coins are not included in this book. In fact, there is no variety included in the book for entire series of historical figures. Very surprised

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2017, 03:57:03 PM »
my chinese friend wrote me ..
Now the book is proofreader Edition.   The formal book shall be published in 2 to 3 months.   

This Proofreader Edition has limited copies. It is possible, this Edition can be considered as collectible.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2017, 06:05:06 AM »
All authors (3) are NGC consultant for MCC. Therefore, all NGC recognized varieties are included in this book.

Based on a recent NGC article 2 of the authors are NGC consultants and 1 is an NGC grader.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2017, 06:14:57 AM »

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2017, 09:47:09 PM »
MCC version arrived today as I bit the bullit and paid the $140...I think it is worth it for the following reasons:

1) goes beyond pandas to include all MCC’s
2) has a couple new varieties I was unaware of with excellent pics
3) recognizes the 1992 high two  :thumbup: N18 N3

Two thumbs up for this new book!!

Great book, but...$140? The deal at BICE was $45 and that includes a copy of the hardbound edition next year. The publishers want this to be affordable.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Offline mcc168

• Supporter
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2017, 11:05:06 PM »
Great book, but...$140? The deal at BICE was $45 and that includes a copy of the hardbound edition next year. The publishers want this to be affordable.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Hi Peter,  This is prcnumismatic on eBay. Noticed forum members complain regarding the $140 MCC book price. I am very sorry.
I priced it based on cost. The book itself is 677 pages of high quality papers and weight 1.3 Kilo, with packing, it will be roughly 2 kilo. Shipping from China via DHL/EMS is at rate of RMB200-250 per kilo, the lowest cost will be RMB400 which is nearly $60 USD.  Add up selling on eBay and Paypal fees, $139 is fair selling price, unless you can get someone bring the book to you from China for FREE. 

I did carry these books to the States on my trip, so my cost is lower. The important part to me is I need make $$.

Sorry again, if anyone get offended with my pricing. Happy holidays!

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2017, 11:48:55 PM »
The book is heavy! I refused to bring an extra copy from Beijing and picked it up later in Hong Kong. DHL/EMS is very expensive to ship something this heavy. Thanks for the explanation.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline wg

« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2017, 01:28:13 AM »
( .. )
Sorry again, if anyone get offended with my pricing. Happy holidays!

N66
good work N31
+1
imo we do not need xxxx new medals
we need more input/books about mcc.

kind regards

Offline GoldenLord

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2017, 01:17:13 PM »
I did get yesterday my book from mcc168.
The price are ok. All very good packaged and quick shippment overseas.

And - you havent pay 139$, mcc168 had the option for best offer.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2017, 05:43:15 PM »
Mcc168

Thanks for the book. This is an excellent book, very informative with many background information about the earlier MCC as well as the name of designer and engraver for all MCC.  Just like any subscription of stock analysis, you have to pay extra for advanced copy, since time is money. IMO, you have provided a valuable service to let MCC collectors to aware about the new book and nothing to apologize.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2017, 07:14:22 PM »
Mcc168

Thanks for the book. This is an excellent book, very informative with many background information about the earlier MCC as well as the name of designer and engraver for all MCC.  Just like any subscription of stock analysis, you have to pay extra for advanced copy, since time is money. IMO, you have provided a valuable service to let MCC collectors to aware about the new book and nothing to apologize.

Good to read this; validates the prior move to compile a database of such information in our forum archives: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=11512.0

Offline mcc168

• Supporter
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2017, 09:41:02 PM »
Thank you poconopenn for your support.  Thank you GoldenLord for your purchase, Thank you wg for your kind word and support. And Thank you 1668Chris for your purchase too. Happy holidays to all!

Offline wg

« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2017, 03:44:35 AM »
proofreader edition

au .. 2300
ag .. 6800

Offline dkhalsa

• Supporter
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2017, 05:11:02 PM »
Got my Proof Copy in the mail today.
Worth the price. So much information.
Don

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2017, 09:20:17 PM »
Knowledge is priceless; this book at one glance already justifies the price paid to get copies here in the USA!

I am already seeing interesting stuff; information that could take a while to pick up from the streets, so to speak.

I wish they had more English content and hope that future editions will improve on that. There were also many areas where the actual mintage of coins was not stated with this becoming virtually absent from the 2007 data onwards. Again, hoping this gap is filled in the definitive edition of 2018. It will be interesting to see how many coins were actually minted in recent years in case there are surprises!

It is not always about making money or gaining strategic advantage over others but you could get lucky! However, I believe the best attribute of this book is that it provides a lot of basic numismatic information, most comprehensively of modern Chinese coins and medals released to date, as well as reinforcing what you already know, and unearthing quite a pile of previously unknown coins, for the newbies to feast on!

Thanks to the authors and well done!

A cap has to be doffed again at Mr. Peter Anthony for his pioneer work in this area as well as the Panda tomes of which we recently got another edition of.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2017, 09:30:13 PM »
I like how the authors have simply and succinctly shown comparatives features of coin varieties immediately on the respective coin page.

The 1982 Short and Long Leaf coin varieties (photo from page 017 of the Gold and Silver Coins of China 1979-2017, Proofreader Edition, 2017).

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2017, 09:34:33 PM »
Another variety illustration to make the point!

The 1996 1oz Silver Panda coin Large and Small Dates (photo from page 237 of the Gold and Silver Coins of China 1979-2017, Proofreader Edition, 2017).

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2017, 09:41:42 PM »
My copy of the third edition of the Gold and Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide by Mr. Peter Anthony. In between uses I enclose it in a plastic bag. I am thinking I have to get the Intercept bag with desiccants for long term preservation of this book; always there as a companion in years to come of coins depicted in the book.

Offline mcc168

• Supporter
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2017, 11:33:49 PM »

Disclosure: I do not know the authors of this book and do read their research articles posted in websites.

I know there are many expert MCC collectors in this forum. If you guys have some newfound and want included into the upcoming books of "Gold & Silver Coins of China - Standard Catalogue 1979 - 2017", please email your feedbacks to: forcoinChina@126.com , this is the publishers email address. Thank you all.

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2017, 01:27:51 AM »
Anyone know if the book is available in HK, I plan to be there Jan 2-12 and would like to get a copy.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2017, 01:32:31 AM »
Anyone know if the book is available in HK, I plan to be there Jan 2-12 and would like to get a copy.

Check with Mcc168. The publisher/authors said he sold his last copies earlier in December.

Incidentally, there is an interview with the publisher about this outstanding book in the latest China Pricepedia.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline wg

« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2017, 05:49:27 AM »
... "Gold & Silver Coins of China - Standard Catalogue 1979 - 2017", please email your feedbacks to: forcoinChina@126.com , this is the publishers email address. Thank you all.

maybe it's better they look at this ccf topic. :001_unsure:

btw.

ag hoopoe 1999 and 2000

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_609ac53d010136b8.html

au 1/4 oz tiger 10 yuan

Offline mcc168

• Supporter
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2017, 12:07:18 PM »
maybe it's better they look at this ccf topic. :001_unsure:

btw.

ag hoopoe 1999 and 2000

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_609ac53d010136b8.html

au 1/4 oz tiger 10 yuan

I have forwarded the forum link to the publishers.

Offline wg

« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2018, 03:18:59 AM »
proofreader edition

page 356
200001-2a
 1/2 oz panda mirrored ring
ref.price
 omp 4700 ?

page 383
200108-1
mintage 40k
 ref.price
omp 8500/ pf69 10200 ?

page 440
200502-4
max.mintage
10k >>> 100k

Offline wg

« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2018, 03:22:31 AM »

Offline wg

« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2018, 03:56:32 AM »

Offline wg

« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2018, 12:54:10 AM »
proofreader edition

page 171
au scallop dog
mintage plan 2300
actual (i can't believe it ) 4610

page 441
ag rooster scallop "sz" mint
sy + sh mint

https://www.ebay.com/itm/China-2005-Rooster-Silver-Plum-Blossom-Shaped-1-Oz-Coin/151042744651?hash=item232ad9614b:m:mIER975P6IaKgIB5v01sxMQ

Offline Agpanda

• Supporter
    • agpandas
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »
Got my Proof reading catalogue today
Now I have a few weeks reading before the real version is out  N23

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2018, 01:27:40 PM »

2017, Coin & Medal Art Committee of China Numismatic Society

2017, Shenyang Mint

2001, Numismatic Collection of Shenyang Mint
The 105th Anniversary of the Founding of Shenyang Mint (1896-2001)

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2018, 02:17:50 PM »

2017, Chinese Panda Gold Coins 35th Anniversary Catalog, CGCI

2017, China Super (Soccer) League, China Banknote Printing and Minting. Includes silver medal struck at Shanghai Mint and certificates from CBPM.

2009, Currency Lord, China Financial Press

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2018, 07:42:36 AM »
Why will the authors not make a English version?.....

Offline bullionblog.eu

« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2018, 09:32:12 AM »
Oh, Peter, your images look like the heaven on earth for any bookworm and chinese coins lover :-) :-) :-)

Offline bqcoin

« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2018, 09:16:35 PM »
Since the proofreader version so limited to get , I suggest everybody here to contribute as much as possible .So the author can add the information.
I believe this will be The Book for everybody collect CMC and will attract a lot of new blood.
1\ what kind of information you wanna get from this book
2\error you find from the proofreader version
3\ideas to make this book more popular.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2018, 02:29:55 AM »
Oh, Peter, your images look like the heaven on earth for any bookworm and chinese coins lover :-) :-) :-)

As a confirmed book-lover it is always exciting to search for new ones. Although it is not a coin book, last November I was excited to find an anthology of Chinese photographs published in Peking in 1961. It lists the names of all the photographers, which is very interesting as not much is known about about the field in China during this period – certainly in the West. Some of the photos are outstanding. Many must have been taken during the "Great Leap Forward." The language of the text is – Esperanto. Younger people I've asked about it have no idea what that is, but folks with a touch of gray on their head may remember.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline bqcoin

« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2018, 04:30:00 AM »
good advise

Offline wg

« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2018, 10:37:17 AM »
proofreader edition

page 113
199201-13 panda 1992p
mintage plan 20k
actual 15 106
minus 3000  pandas destroyed with privat privy mark torch

https://www.ebay.de/itm/China-Panda-1992-10-Yuan-Proof-1-OZ-Silber-Privy-Mark-Fackel-Beschr/282800442167?hash=item41d8384b37:g:kFMAAOSwrFJZ06sQ

page 331
199901-6a panda 1999 bu large date
mintage actual 90 006
minus 10 000 bu pandas destroyed with privat privy mark "y2k"

https://www.ebay.de/itm/192426026885?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

btw.
page 91
199010-2 ... 199010-5
face value 5 >> 10 yuan

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2018, 12:18:04 AM »
I have never seen a y2k coin in the US, they must have all stayed in Germany.  The privy mark ones were reasonably easy to find in the US.  Unfortunately NGC won't certify either of these coins, which why I never collected them. 

Offline wg

« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2018, 02:23:09 AM »
proofreader edition
i can't believe that ..
page 32
198502-1 au ox
mintage plan 5000
 actual 16053
198502-2 ag ox
mintage plan 10 000
 actual 22489

arif
..they must have all stayed in Germany.
not all, at least one has traveled to china. :001_tongue:
"y2k" re-sealed
 shenyang mint pouch.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1999-china-panda-y2k-silver-coin-/172471809407?hash=item28281ef57f%3Ag%3A-XMAAOSwHaBWiZJ0&nma=true&si=y0Zmw91otwGhZgkKjLtd8r4L2Sg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2018, 09:44:53 AM »

I have never seen a y2k coin in the US, they must have all stayed in Germany.  The privy mark ones were reasonably easy to find in the US.  Unfortunately NGC won't certify either of these coins, which why I never collected them. 

I have one that I bought around 2006 on eBay as part of a 3-coin set. There were others available in the USA at that time. Later I made a mistake and sent it in with some other 1999s to be graded (NOT by NGC). It came back as MS69. Somehow the grader disregarded the Y2K countermark and just evaluated the surfaces. I still have it.

Actually, I sold it once accidentally to Aaron Lancaster. When he commented on it later I realized which coin he had. He very kindly resold it to me at dinner that evening for the same price he had paid earlier that day. So this one is my personal "error" coin.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline bqcoin

« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2018, 08:02:46 PM »
proofreader edition

page 113
199201-13 panda 1992p
mintage plan 20k
actual 15 106
minus 3000  pandas destroyed with privat privy mark torch

https://www.ebay.de/itm/China-Panda-1992-10-Yuan-Proof-1-OZ-Silber-Privy-Mark-Fackel-Beschr/282800442167?hash=item41d8384b37:g:kFMAAOSwrFJZ06sQ

page 331
199901-6a panda 1999 bu large date
mintage actual 90 006
minus 10 000 bu pandas destroyed with privat privy mark "y2k"

https://www.ebay.de/itm/192426026885?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

btw.
page 91
199010-2 ... 199010-5
face value 5 >> 10 yuan

Hi where did you get this number of "destroyed"?
I think this should be counted as a part of the actual mintage anyway.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2018, 03:06:30 PM »