Author Topic: Auction price for the smallest sample coins hit the record high  (Read 3725 times)

low

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Auction price for the smallest sample coins hit the record high
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 08:01:46 PM »
I agree that they are still small in number compared with the actual coins in circulation. So are the proof coins for circulation, like those that go with the Tibet and Xinjiang silver coins. But collecting non-precious metal coins is a very different hobby, requiring very different knowledge and expertise. For $1500, why not buy a PF68 Tibet 20 Years silver coin which had a mintage of 3000? The price in the link looks inflated, as Zhao Online auctioned off a higher grade one for less than $1000 in July:

http://www.zhaoonline.com/zhongguodangdaijinyinbi/1661435.shtml

Yes I agree that is not a good price. I meant to show the picture of the type of coins I am talking. I didn't buy it, but it sure doesn't take long before they sold it.

It is difficult for collectors outside of mainland China to buy coins from Zhaoonline, or from many of China dealers.

As to the question why not buy the PF68 Tibet 20 years silver. Simple, because everyone (or many people) knows about this coin. I believe the non precious metal "bank specimen" is lesser known to the collectors and that is interesting to me.

Of course, given $1500, different people will come out with different plan as to how to spend the money on coins they like.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:10:28 PM by low »

Offline gerald

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Auction price for the smallest sample coins hit the record high
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 03:23:50 AM »
The price in the link looks inflated, as Zhao Online auctioned off a higher grade one for less than $1000 in July:

http://www.zhaoonline.com/zhongguodangdaijinyinbi/1661435.shtml

Is Zhao Online a good place to buy coins?