Author Topic: Submitting this coin to NGC  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
Submitting this coin to NGC
« on: October 12, 2012, 02:27:59 AM »
Opinions wanted. I am sending this coin off to be graded by NGC next week. As you can see, there are no red spots, however, there are small white specks on the mirror portion. I assume these are dust particles since this coin has not seem its mint seal in quite some time.

Question 1: Should this coin be NCS'ed to remove these tiny particles, or is it a waste of time and money?
Question 2: If NOT NCS'ed, will NGC use an air blower or other instrument to remove the particles before putting the coin in a holder?
Question 3: Will these small particles affect the grade the coin receives?
Thank you!

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Submitting this coin to NGC
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 10:39:25 AM »
Hello Mirkkanen

1. My honest opinion is yes I think you should send this coin to NCS

2. If it is just dust particles then probably they would blow them off. If it’s something that is adhering to the coin then they will not remove it at NGC.

3. If it is dust that can be removed then no affect on grade. If it’s something that remains on the coin after an attempt is made to blow it off then yes it will affect the grade. 

Good luck on your very nice coin !  :thumbup:

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »
I can answer question 2 definitively for you, as I just called NGC last week about a similar situation (coin in an open OMP with dust specks).  They told me that they do blow off any loose dust or other particulates when grading and encapsulating the coin.  They do this even if you don't involve NCS in the process.  This came directly from someone in customer service, who put me on hold to go ask someone else, so I think it's good info.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 01:14:44 PM »
Thanks Honus. That info helps me a lot. There are no red spots at all on this coin, and I see no scratches or dings at all. I was considering sending to NCS first because of the small white specks seen on this mirror of the temple side, however, I think they will disappear when hit with compressed air. This reduces the chance I will choose to go the NCS route.

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 01:19:51 PM »
I don't see anything on it that looks like it requires NCS involvement.  Good luck with it, I hope it grades MS69 or better for you.  The 2001-2002 is a great design, one of my favorite Panda years.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »
Wow, I'm just hoping for a 68. I'm skeptical of any coin that has been out of its mint seal or a slab for some time, and this coin is one of them. It did look to be in fine condition though, so we'll see what they say . . .

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 01:44:20 PM »
You're probably smart about keeping expectations in check, just in case!  I recently rescued some gold pandas from one of those "cash for gold" places, all of them loose and out of their seals.  A 1986-P 1/10oz gold did grade PFUC69, and a 1982 gold panda 1/10 graded MS68 (it had a tiny carbon/copper spot on the back that I knew would be an issue and NCS could not remove it).  The real surprise was a 1995 gold panda 1/10 LD that looked like a mess...covered in copper spots, and some crud that I couldn't identify, and a scratch on the back, and lots of dust specks.  But once NCS cleaned it up, and all the dust was gone, it looked better than I thought it would, and came back an MS67.  And that's with a scratch on the reverse.  So you may do better than you expect.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »
***UPDATE***

I sent off this coin to NGC 3+ weeks ago and I found out that it was graded MS-69  :thumbup:

Now, my only question is . . . how do I go about getting the certification number on the slab? Do I send an email to NGC requesting the certification number in advance of receiving the coin?

I know others have gotten the cert # before receiving the coin itself, but the guy who submitted it for me does not think NGC gives out cert #s in advance. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

(PS: this was "my" first submission . . . quite happy with the result)

Offline Dr650rob

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 09:12:30 PM »
Did you send it to ncs
And does ngc tell you the grade before you get the coin back in an email or something I just sent coins out for the first time

Offline PandaOrLunar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 09:27:34 PM »
You can check the status of your submission on NCS and NGC web sites.

You cert # is usually your invoice #-# of coin
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 09:31:34 PM by PandaOrLunar »

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 11:06:57 PM »
They notify you by email I'm guessing. My coin was sent in by a friend.
Did you send it to ncs
And does ngc tell you the grade before you get the coin back in an email or something I just sent coins out for the first time

No, I did not NCS it, since there were no red spots and I got confirmation to my satisfaction that the coin would be air blown prior to encasement.

Thanks to all for the advice and tips.

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 02:41:08 PM »
Did you send it to ncs

If you do your own submission you can log into your account and you can see the status of the submission to NCS and when it moves to NGC you can see the status.  Once the coin moves to NGC it will be issued the serial number which you can see on the website and it will also show the grade towards the end of the process.  Usually from the time it gets the grade to when it ships is only a couple of days at most.