« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 02:24:55 PM »

Offline panda

• Trade Count: (+1)

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
Re: Fake
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 11:52:21 AM »
Both 1989 NY Expo gold coin and 1988P 1/4 oz gold panda coin were removed by eBay yesterday.

Offline panda

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 01:29:25 PM »
whatever

Underbidder

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 02:27:44 PM »
Poconopenn has proven to have the highest reliability here...

Yes, at first that 1988 proof passes a quick glance, but if one compares it, the lettering appears just a little to wide and the details  of the temple too poorly defined for a proof strike. Those are a few things to look for when suspecting a fake. It would be harder to be suspicious if this were a typical BU coin.

This fake is pretty good.  Scary.

Thanks once again, Poconopenn! 

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 03:21:38 PM »
The 88P 1/4 looks real, not fake.

Since the listing has removed, I can not post the picture to show you the problem of this coin. There are irregular bulged surface on 25 Yuan and make 2 and 5 wider than genuine coin in part of these two numbers. The irregular bulged surface also shown on the Chinese characters on the temple side. This is a clear indication of a copy. The recent high quality fake does not show design difference, but has an imperfection of surface morphology and poorly defined three dimensional details.  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:37:21 PM by poconopenn »

Underbidder

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 04:20:57 PM »
I kick myself for not saving a photo of it...

It is yet another new milestone in fakes for a couple of important reasons...
- no real perceptible design flaw differences, as Poconopenn says, just imperfections.
- a rather low mintage proof was chosen rather than a high mintage coin

Makes me wonder what happens when the fakers improve just a little bit further... Plus the increeases in quality in fake graded slabs...When will we no longer be able to determine real vs fake from photos?

Offline peng_you

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 08:00:59 PM »
A dealer friend of mine offered me the 1989 NY expo medal, the 1982 1/4 oz AU panda....both coins were in counterfeit NGC holders and both coins are fake. luckily I spotted them right away! Unfortunately he already owned them. Both certs matched coins posted here. He had a third coin but i didnt even look and just assumed it was also bad. If any users need pics, I'm sure I can get them. LMK... FYI, these coins came out of Florida.
Peng_you

Offline pandaccumulator

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 10:25:15 PM »
A dealer friend of mine offered me the 1989 NY expo medal, the 1982 1/4 oz AU panda....both coins were in counterfeit NGC holders and both coins are fake. luckily I spotted them right away! Unfortunately he already owned them. Both certs matched coins posted here. He had a third coin but i didnt even look and just assumed it was also bad. If any users need pics, I'm sure I can get them. LMK... FYI, these coins came out of Florida.
Peng_you
The same happened to me. I bought a 1/4 oz gold Chinese proof coin "certified" as "NGC PF69" on ebay, received the coin and didn't check it out carefully with the impression that certified means guaranteed and I even left the seller a positive feedback. A few days later, I received an email from poconoppen(thanks to our undisputed "king" of counterfeit detective!)  suggesting it was not a genuine. I compared the coin with NGC's picture, and realized it was a fake. Apparently, the faker had stolen NGC serial numbers. The lesion: alway exam your coin carefully, including slabbed coins!

Underbidder

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 11:03:21 PM »
Is there a Fake Compendium?

Underbidder

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 09:16:01 PM »
Is this the same fake 1989 Expo 1/4 in NGC holder (fake?) which has been popping up, or are there many?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-PROOF-NEW-YORK-EXPO-CHINA-1-4-OUNCE-GOLD-PANDA-NGC-PF69-ULTRA-CAMEO-COIN-/130747322581?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item1e7125d0d5

Offline panda88

• Trade Count: (+24)
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 06:36:25 PM »
it's the same one. I have returned this coin to the seller (difference seller). But... may be many of them same serial # ??

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 11:04:38 PM »
NGC Cert.# 2765913-001 to -019 (20 coins) are 1989 NY Expo. gold medal.

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/CertResults.aspx?CertNumber=2765913-001

Offline panda88

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 12:35:10 PM »

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 12:59:55 PM »

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »
Reported all 17 items.
"Item 321082727163 is no longer available."
When listing these it helps to add the user account name in case one coin is pulled but others remain.

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 08:16:14 PM »

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 08:27:07 PM »
New user.  Probably didn't know. 

The seller is from US.   What is the chance of someone from US is selling a fake  N16

Just want to point that out since more and more sellers are highlighting they are US sellers.

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 01:49:03 PM »
I think you might be surprised by that answer... I see quite a few fakes being sold by US sellers.
 I can't see definitively, whether or not they all know/knew that their item was fake but
 there has been a number of them. I have even seen some reputable coin dealers list Silver pandas
 that were clearly fakes... probably not even realizing it. The most common ones are the newer "double sealed" pandas
( even though they weren't double sealed by the Mint) They are pretty easy to spot because of the packaging....Rounded corners
here is an example:
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-SILVER-PANDA-1oz-SILVER-UNC-NEW-DOUBLE-SEALED-FREE-SHIPPING-/230937536225?pt=Bullion_US

Offline panda-moneya

MORE Fakes
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 01:50:39 PM »
Another seller from China has listed a number of fake Silver pandas on ebay.
 These particular ones (with the red cases) were widely sold about 6 months ago by a couple different sellers.
 An awful lot of people got burned...hate to see it happen again
http://www.ebay.com/sch/chabeijian130/m.html?item=190807901422

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 03:04:36 PM »
Another seller from China has listed a number of fake Silver pandas on ebay.
 These particular ones (with the red cases) were widely sold about 6 months ago by a couple different sellers.
 An awful lot of people got burned...hate to see it happen again
http://www.ebay.com/sch/chabeijian130/m.html?item=190807901422

Any discussion on the red case fakes I can link to?

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 06:46:47 PM »
Here is a little more info: Approx, last summer, there were  2 or 3 different sellers(screen names anyway) that would
 list these exact same Silver pandas. They came in the "velvety" red presentation box and also showed some sort of COA
 A COA that is suppose to fool people into believing, that  because of it,(COA) then the pandas "must" be real. The sellers were very organized
 and highly efficient....Listing 10 or 12 of them, always auctioning off in a 24 hr time span. They would go back and forth between screen names
 to make it look less obvious?( my guess). Since delivery takes close to 3 weeks or more...by the time a buyer realizes that they had received a fake silver panda, opens a case with ebay,...it is too late. (Although, the majority of buyers were completely fooled and never even
 opened disputes.)  They sold hundreds of these fake pandas...each! Even as the negative comments began to build, people still bought them.
        That's my info on it... anyone else?,....feel free to add your take on it

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 11:16:40 PM »
Thank you panda-moneya.
Unfortunately what we suspect and what we can prove are not always the same.
As is often the case with fakes the poor pictures are not clear enough to see detail.
Legit sellers like Naomi are guilty of this too...
The only angle I can see in our favor are the fake COA's and pouches.
If eBay would accept this as proof of fraud it would require a data base of known good and bad COA's & pouches in order begin making a case.
At this time this account has 20 listed, up 8 since my last post.
Alerting eBay will hopefully put these coins on watch.
One would hope eBay can at least put a freeze on any funds flowing into this account until this is fully concluded.
Hope and $1.50 might get us a cup of coffee. 

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 09:51:19 AM »
These are definite fakes, you can tell by the packaging. They are all in the same rigid packages, with Rounded corners
  Peter Anythony was the first to report on them in his early writings of "How to spot a counterfeit panda"
  It;s the number one dead give-away for spotting fakes. Another easy spot is the 2003 version, that is listed.... I guess this version
 takes "mirrored" to a new level
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Panda-coin-Panda-1oz-10-yuan-silver-coin-999-silver-coin-Uncirculated-/190807901952?pt=UK_Coins_World_RL

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 03:29:29 PM »

When listing these it helps to add the user account name in case one coin is pulled but others remain.

Agreed !  We need to keep tabs on these "fakers".   N39

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 03:34:55 PM »

The seller is from US.   What is the chance of someone from US is selling a fake  N16

Not sure if that's sarcasm or not.  There are plenty of counterfeit sellers in the U.S. - knowingly, or not. Some of them might have bought their fakes on Alibaba (and elsewhere) for "quick profit".

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 04:16:15 PM »
I agree with Dynamike51...110%! Not only do "Fakes", give Silver pandas a bad reputation, But they also severely inhibit
 New perspective buyers from entering the MCC market place. Long time collectors of Morgans, Eagles etc are reluctant
 to get involved with Pandas ( or MCC) for fear they might get shafted. With "fakes" There is a negative trickle down effect,
 with buyers,& sellers.In my opinion, we should All band together and report these fakes as soon as possible..The more
"reports" that Ebay receives, might help influence their decision to act more quickly, and remove them.
     ***Strength in Numbers!***.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 04:30:37 PM »
It was sarcasm because I was talking to some coin collector friends oversea and they stated that they are tied of hearing and seeing US based sellers slamming non-US sellers.  They see it as arrogant and slight against non-US based people.  We know there are good and bad sellers everywhere.  Given the power of the Internet, we just need to be more aware of how we communicated.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 04:33:36 PM »
It was sarcasm because I was talking to some coin collector friends oversea and they stated that they are tied of hearing and seeing US based sellers slamming non-US sellers.  They see it as arrogant and slight against non-US based people.  We know there are good and bad sellers everywhere.  Given the power of the Internet, we just need to be more aware of how we communicated.

POL:

Thank you for your clarification.    N39

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 04:37:45 PM »
I agree with Dynamike51...110%! Not only do "Fakes", give Silver pandas a bad reputation, But they also severely inhibit
 New perspective buyers from entering the MCC market place. Long time collectors of Morgans, Eagles etc are reluctant
 to get involved with Pandas ( or MCC) for fear they might get shafted. With "fakes" There is a negative trickle down effect,
 with buyers,& sellers.In my opinion, we should All band together and report these fakes as soon as possible..The more
"reports" that Ebay receives, might help influence their decision to act more quickly, and remove them.
     ***Strength in Numbers!***.

Not only some buyers are reluctant to get involved, some sellers are selling because they got burned and just want to get out.

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 06:51:03 PM »
Same seller, continues to flood ebay with Fake Silver pandas: seller's name is chabeijian130
He is using the same exact pictures that the group of sellers used about 6 months ago, (as previously mentioned in one of my earlier posts)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/chabeijian130/m.html?item=190808471743

.... could use some help in reporting them??

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 07:38:10 PM »
Same seller, continues to flood ebay with Fake Silver pandas: seller's name is chabeijian130
He is using the same exact pictures that the group of sellers used about 6 months ago, (as previously mentioned in one of my earlier posts)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/chabeijian130/m.html?item=190808471743

.... could use some help in reporting them??

I piled on with as much info as I could when you first posted these.
Interestingly enough I didn't get my usual eBay response of "we're looking into it" email.
Are they inundated?

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2013, 08:30:20 AM »
to report fake MCC, could we have a "tab" to click to report fakes?   That would encourage more members to report them to this forum as many do not want to contact Ebay.  Those members that will report them to ebay can then do so.  Hopefully this will let more members/readers report fakes..............

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2013, 04:59:48 PM »
Thank you to NBM for at least offering a helping hand in reporting some of these fake silver pandas
from seller: chabeijian130
  Seller is closing in on approx 40 of them so far. Not sure why it bothers me so much, Maybe because Ebay does nothing about it.I guess I should just leave it be. Most people probably know better than to bid on them anyway. I feel kind of bad
 for the ones that don't know the difference
http://www.ebay.com/sch/chabeijian130/m.html?item=190808735164

Offline Dr650rob

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2013, 08:43:47 PM »
is there any way to report sellers or do you have to report each coin

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2013, 12:15:17 PM »
As far as I know, the only way to report sellers is via their item.
 ( For anyone who wants to know how to report an item) On that item's description page, if you scroll down
 on the right hand side of the page, you will see a tab for "report item" When you select it you will be shown
 3 drop-down boxes and the choices for reporting fake items include:
 1)"Category" choose(copyright & trademark)
 2)"Reason for report" choose( counterfeit item or authenticity disclaimer)
 3)"Detailed reason" choose (counterfeit,fake,or replica items)
...... and the last box will say " Brief description"    I usually write something like "fake Silver panda" "wrong packaging"
"zero silver content" or whatever reason you can think of as to why the item is counterfeit.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2013, 08:43:11 PM »
Thank you to NBM for at least offering a helping hand in reporting some of these fake silver pandas
from seller: chabeijian130
  Seller is closing in on approx 40 of them so far. Not sure why it bothers me so much, Maybe because Ebay does nothing about it.I guess I should just leave it be. Most people probably know better than to bid on them anyway. I feel kind of bad
 for the ones that don't know the difference
http://www.ebay.com/sch/chabeijian130/m.html?item=190808735164

chabeijian130 has all Panda auctions pulled?
FWIW, Chinese dealers are on to him & sending out alerts.   N39
N31 :lol:

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2013, 08:52:04 PM »
Ebay must have FINALLY pulled the seller's listings off the market..... Now they will have to deal with about 40-50
 disputes, that will start pouring in..Great job to all those who helped, getting rid of the trash!

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2013, 09:11:39 PM »
Ebay must have FINALLY pulled the seller's listings off the market..... Now they will have to deal with about 40-50
 disputes, that will start pouring in..Great job to all those who helped, getting rid of the trash!

Ebay did not remove any of those listings. There were total 61 listings completed. IMO, ebay can not remove those listings, since the pictures are not clear enough to identify those coin as fake.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/m.html?item=190808735164&LH_Complete=1&_ssn=chabeijian130&rt=nc

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2013, 09:25:15 PM »
The seller had several more that he had just listed, all with time remaining...but are now
 nowwhere to be seen. I think if you take a look at the packaging you will see that they are all of that
 same rigid vinyl, an all have rounded corners.  It would be nice if we could get Peter Anthony to weigh in
 on the matter.......... These are fake

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2013, 09:46:57 PM »
Ebay did not remove any of those listings. There were total 61 listings completed. IMO, ebay can not remove those listings, since the pictures are not clear enough to identify those coin as fake.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/m.html?item=190808735164&LH_Complete=1&_ssn=chabeijian130&rt=nc

Thank you for catching that poconopenn, this is not good.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2013, 09:57:40 PM »
Large number of 1oz silver Panda sold in 24-hour auction and at price way below silver bullion value.  I think the buyers know precisely what they are getting.  It is the buyers I'm worrying about because I think many of them may turn around and sell these fakes and use chabeijian130 as scapegoat for selling them fakes.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2013, 10:10:05 PM »
Large number of 1oz silver Panda sold in 24-hour auction and at price way below silver bullion value.  I think the buyers know precisely what they are getting.  It is the buyers I'm worrying about because I think many of them may turn around and sell these fakes and use chabeijian130 as scapegoat for selling them fakes.

N33   EXACTLY !!!    N33

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2013, 09:28:06 AM »
It will be interesting to see if any leave feedback.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2013, 12:25:58 AM »

I reported all 61 completed items, However, eBay had only removed 42 items ended on 3/7. Ebay has not removed 19 items ended on 3/8 and 3/9 yet. Reported again.

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2013, 12:47:34 PM »
Large number of 1oz silver Panda sold in 24-hour auction and at price way below silver bullion value.  I think the buyers know precisely what they are getting.  It is the buyers I'm worrying about because I think many of them may turn around and sell these fakes and use chabeijian130 as scapegoat for selling them fakes.

You raise an interesting point. I didn't think about that aspect of it. I was thinking more along the lines of new buyers
 that were easily duped.If indeed that is some buyer's agenda, to try to re-list them at a higher price...it just makes the situation that much uglier.  
 If it wasn't for the packaging, they would be extreamly difficult to spot( as poconopenn mentioned) especially with low quality, blurry photos.  I did find  a similar 2003 panda ( similar to the ones that chebeijian130 sold) But at least this seller is an Honest one, and specifies "silver-plated"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-silver-PLATED-panda-/221200010975?pt=US_World_Coins

Offline panda88

Offline GDG's

Offline panda88

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »
Here is a fake 2005 Silver panda. This one is easy to spot because of the packaging.( Seller republicjc)
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-1oz-silver-Chinese-Panda-10-yuan-in-original-sealed-envelope-BU-coin-/181100634940?pt=Bullion_US

Note the rounded corners( upper left hand side of package) Without The packaging, they are much harder to spot
 but in a comparison between a real one, The "A" in Ag & the" .999" are further away from the edge of the rim
 on the fake ones. In fact, the top of the "A" almost touches the rim, on the real ones, but not so with the fake ones

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-China-Silver-Panda-S10Y-NGC-MS70-Rare-Top-Grade-MS70-Coin-/181099661738?pt=US_World_Coins

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2013, 04:55:19 PM »

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2013, 11:54:39 AM »
is anyone familiar with this type of fake gold pandas?This one, seems to utilize the same style of packaging
 that the fake silver pandas come in. ( seller sdstreet2012) seems to have a history of selling fake items?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-1-10-oz-Gold-Chinese-Panda-Sealed-/151008828422?pt=Bullion_US

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2013, 03:28:02 PM »
is anyone familiar with this type of fake gold pandas?This one, seems to utilize the same style of packaging
 that the fake silver pandas come in. ( seller sdstreet2012) seems to have a history of selling fake items?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-1-10-oz-Gold-Chinese-Panda-Sealed-/151008828422?pt=Bullion_US

Reported. Incorrect reeding and weight

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2013, 04:45:23 PM »
More fake Silver pandas: These are "older" fakes, not quite as close to the real ones as some of the newer fakes.
also, some of the older ones tend to really discolor with white stains( IMO- these are not typical milk spots, but more of an alloy to plastic, reaction  ( seller is Coinstacker)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-1-oz-999-Silver-CHINA-Panda-COIN-10-YUAN-PANDA-FREE-SHIPPING-/230945962358?pt=US_World_Coins

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-1-oz-999-Silver-CHINA-Panda-COIN-10-YUAN-PANDA-FREE-SHIPPING-/230945956667?pt=US_World_Coins

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-1-oz-999-Silver-CHINA-Panda-COIN-10-YUAN-PANDA-FREE-SHIPPING-/330889236374?pt=US_World_Coins

all 3 of these are fake, can tell by the packaging and also the date style used ( for 1997 &1998)

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2013, 07:56:34 PM »
Here is an list of more fake silver pandas as of 3/16/13 Anyone who wants to help report these to ebay, feel free to do so.
I think the more reporting, the better the chance of having them removed
( ps..i seem to be the only one using this page...?)
seller patrickh6095
http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-PANDA-COINS-1-TROY-OZ-/130870174826?pt=Bullion_US

seller:republicjc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-1oz-silver-Chinese-Panda-BU-10-yuan-in-original-sealed-envelope-/181094650904?pt=Bullion_US

seller: elstonbruno11
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHINA-PANDA-2001-10-YUAN-999-1oz-SILVER-BRILLIANT-DOUBLE-SEALED-/310630117255?pt=US_World_Coins

Offline polldav

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2013, 08:16:04 PM »
Can you say what you see with each of them that indicates they're fake? I see:

On the 15 lot the packaging is all wrong and the 2000 is mirrored and kind of funny looking which is extra suspect so I didn't really look at any other years

The 2009 shouldn't be sealed and the Yuan symbol is too high

On the 2001 I can't tell what makes it fake

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2013, 08:43:40 PM »
Can you say what you see with each of them that indicates they're fake? I see:

With the first link seller patrickh6095: There are no denominations on any of the coins
2cd link seller republicjc: not only did the 2009 not come double sealed, but you can tell by the packaging that it is fake.
 Practically all fake pandas use this same style of packaging with the wrong braid(rope) patteren as well as rounded corners.
 3rd link seller elstonbruno11: you have to look closely at the packaging but it is the same as used by the other fakes.
 very rigid vinyl and wrong rope patteren. Also a lot of the older fake silver pandas had a tendency to develop that white staining. It is different from "milk spots" I think it is a chemical reaction between the cheap alloys used and the plastic capsule.
 here is another fake from seller republicjc : same packaging...dead give-away
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-1oz-silver-Chinese-Panda-coin-10-yuan-in-original-sealed-envelope-BU-/181102672526?pt=Bullion_US

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2013, 12:27:07 AM »
More fake Silver pandas: These are "older" fakes, not quite as close to the real ones as some of the newer fakes.
also, some of the older ones tend to really discolor with white stains( IMO- these are not typical milk spots, but more of an alloy to plastic, reaction  ( seller is Coinstacker)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-1-oz-999-Silver-CHINA-Panda-COIN-10-YUAN-PANDA-FREE-SHIPPING-/230945962358?pt=US_World_Coins

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-1-oz-999-Silver-CHINA-Panda-COIN-10-YUAN-PANDA-FREE-SHIPPING-/230945956667?pt=US_World_Coins

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-1-oz-999-Silver-CHINA-Panda-COIN-10-YUAN-PANDA-FREE-SHIPPING-/330889236374?pt=US_World_Coins

all 3 of these are fake, can tell by the packaging and also the date style used ( for 1997 &1998)

These three fake coins were removed.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2013, 12:27:43 AM »
Here is an list of more fake silver pandas as of 3/16/13 Anyone who wants to help report these to ebay, feel free to do so.
I think the more reporting, the better the chance of having them removed
( ps..i seem to be the only one using this page...?)
seller patrickh6095
http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-PANDA-COINS-1-TROY-OZ-/130870174826?pt=Bullion_US

seller:republicjc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-1oz-silver-Chinese-Panda-BU-10-yuan-in-original-sealed-envelope-/181094650904?pt=Bullion_US

seller: elstonbruno11
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHINA-PANDA-2001-10-YUAN-999-1oz-SILVER-BRILLIANT-DOUBLE-SEALED-/310630117255?pt=US_World_Coins

Reported.

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2013, 12:20:06 PM »
Thank you poconopenn!

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2013, 05:56:28 PM »
I have noticed quite a few different sellers from China, that have been selling 2013
 china silver pandas.  Approximatley, 7 or 8 who have listed dozens of these coins, all with free shipping.
 Being a skeptical person, I just can't see how this can be done. The Average selling price
has been somewhere between $29 and $33, most seem to sell around $31.50. After ebay fee and paypal fees
( around 11%..or more) that 31.50 becomes $28. I don't know how much it costs to send a coin from China to USA
 I know what it costs to send from USA to China..By Registered mail it's $18-$19. By Just first class mail it's around $7 -$8
 One seller even  lists shipping by express mail ( express mail from USA to China is $44)
 For the sake of arguement even if it's only $5 that leaves the seller with $23...which is about $6 below spot price.
 Unless you can buy silver pandas in China for $10 under spot price...I just don't see how these can possibly be real.
  Of course the best way to find out is just to buy one...But then you have to deal with the hassle of filing a dispute, pay to ship it back to China etc etc. Here are a couple links to give you an idea of some recently completed sales.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-2013-Panda-gold-coin-Panda-1-oz-silver-coin-268-/181102586097?pt=UK_Antiques_DecorativeAntiques_Collectables_EH
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Panda-gold-coin-Panda-1-oz-silver-coin-71-/281078803770?pt=UK_Antiques_DecorativeAntiques_Collectables_EH

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2013, 12:52:13 PM »
I reported all 61 completed items, However, eBay had only removed 42 items ended on 3/7. Ebay has not removed 19 items ended on 3/8 and 3/9 yet. Reported again.

The seller “chabeijian130” of these 61 completed items was suspended by eBay.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=chabeijian130&ftab=AllFeedback

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2013, 01:07:39 PM »
Fake 2013 1 oz silver panda from "2012gaojian1668"

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Metalware-/1430/i.html?item=111034411794&_ssn=2012gaojian1668

All six reported.

Offline panda88

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2013, 02:44:57 PM »
Even the Apmex sale the fake coin too where we can report?. too many fake coins especially the 1989 panda NY expo.
http://www.apmex.com/Product/75459/1989_New_York_Convention_1_4_oz_Gold_Medal___PF_69_UCAM_NGC.aspx

Offline panda88

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2013, 03:12:42 PM »
wow that's quick . Thanks

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »
Wow, Poconopenn is really on top of things!
 I can not prove it, but  if I were to venture a bet...I would say that all these sellers are selling fake 2013 Silver pandas.
 Just for the reasons that I stated earlier. I think what some of them do, is to post an actual picture, of a Real 2013 Silver panda
(with the exception of the last seller)
  but when you purchase it, they will send you a fake one. The majority of people probably could not tell the difference between the two...Again this is just conjecture, but one has to wonder?
 The problem is, that In order for ebay to remove the listing they probably need to see something that would convince them, or unless they get bombarded with counterfeit reports.( The last link has been addressed by Poconopenn, just thought I would put it up there again since he still has several listed)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-2013-Panda-gold-coin-Panda-1-oz-silver-coin-268-/171009652007?pt=UK_Antiques_DecorativeAntiques_Collectables_EH
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Panda-gold-coin-Panda-1-oz-silver-coin-81-/281080206727?pt=UK_Antiques_DecorativeAntiques_Collectables_EH
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-999-silver-bullion-coin-Panda-gold-coin-Panda-1-oz-silver-coin-715-/261187150545?pt=US_World_Coins
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Panda-gold-coin-Panda-1-oz-silver-coin-516-/380601388962?pt=UK_Antiques_DecorativeAntiques_Collectables_EH
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOW-2013-Panda-gold-coin-Panda-1-oz-silver-coin-71-/111034411256?pt=UK_Antiques_DecorativeAntiques_Collectables_EH

Offline GDG's

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
Excellent job exposing sellers hawking counterfeits. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I contact ebay every chance I get when a fake is put on sale. Thanks to everyone.

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2013, 05:40:48 PM »
The key to knowing which Chinese seller's to avoid is to see if they bumped up their positive feedback score selling cheap costume jewelry.

4 of the 5 seller's above follow this routine.  Cheap jewelry or ballcaps / T-shirts are the red flag.

The rash of gold Panda selling cheats (China-based) from 12 months ago on Ebay all did the same thing.  I have a saved seller list of at least 15 of them.

Sell hundreds of $1 to $3 dollar jewelry items.....get an inflated feedback score....then switch over to fake coins....brilliant.
You know, I  had a funny suspicion about that. I did go back through their feedbacks and noticed all the same. The cheap costume jewelry
 Nice deduction! I have also seen this same strategy employed by  some German sellers all selling 1 oz gold. Either 1oz gold pandas, or 1 oz Krugerrands, buffaloes etc.  They sell them for right around spot(or below) and take a couple weeks to ship the item. Then they provide a false tracking number, by the time the buyer finally figures out what's going on the seller has taken their money and ran. Ebay usually gets stuck holding the bag

Offline adnap

• Coinsasia.com
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2013, 05:10:43 AM »
Item: 251245920813

Hind left foot?

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2013, 09:58:39 AM »
Fake coins don't usually have such high quality photographs taken with cover off, so I thought this serves as a good study of fake.

I'm a variety hound so I biased toward variety explaination whenever I see differences in frosting and mirrored fields, yet I like to think I've learned a few things about fake coin from poconopenn's teachings.  So this is my take on things wrong with this coin:
1.  Lack of details.  The 2002 has an intricate design in the bamboo background.  This coin is crude by comparison.
2.  Bubbles as pointed out by red arrorws in both obverse and reverse

What else gives away this fake?

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »
Fake coins don't usually have such high quality photographs taken with cover off, so I thought this serves as a good study of fake.

I'm a variety hound so I biased toward variety explaination whenever I see differences in frosting and mirrored fields, yet I like to think I've learned a few things about fake coin from poconopenn's teachings.  So this is my take on things wrong with this coin:
1.  Lack of details.  The 2002 has an intricate design in the bamboo background.  This coin is crude by comparison.
2.  Bubbles as pointed out by red arrorws in both obverse and reverse

What else gives away this fake?

Eyes, nose and mouth.

Offline adnap

• Coinsasia.com
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2013, 01:41:42 PM »
From same seller.
This also lacks detail hind Paw. reddish rust look under 2001 date. Detail of date looks light.
Clever photo. Private Bidders only?

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2013, 12:37:10 AM »
Another fake 2002 to add into the mix( although title lists it as 1997) But the coin in the photo
 is fake. You can tell by the packaging
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-CHINA-1-OZ-SILVER-PANDA-10-YUAN-DOUBLE-SEALED-/151008832529?pt=US_World_Coins

Offline bekiz

« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2013, 05:26:42 AM »
Seller in Japan offered this panda for sale.

Grade in NGC was deleted ... so is it fake or what?
no better pictures though

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2013, 09:56:51 AM »
a "DELETED" grade is definitely bad news. 

Even with the poor picture I can still see the bamboo is too close to the rim, a signature of fake as pointed out in Pandacollector.com.

Fake!

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2013, 11:39:24 AM »
Seller in Japan offered this panda for sale.

Grade in NGC was deleted ... so is it fake or what?
no better pictures though

+1

It is fake coin in a fake NGC holder. The fake coin has an incorrect temple design.

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2013, 07:53:12 PM »
 Here are two fake pandas, they were just recently listed  fake 2000 mirrored pandas
 ( Can tell by the packaging)( seller 2011charles93)I reported both, but no action has been taken by ebay so far.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-1oz-Silver-Panda-in-Original-Capsule-Sealed-Plastic-Sleeve-Frosted-Ring-/160995463913?pt=US_World_Coins
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-1oz-Silver-Panda-in-Original-Capsule-Sealed-Plastic-Sleeve-Frosted-Ring-/160995461984?pt=US_World_Coins

Offline panda-moneya

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2013, 10:50:33 PM »
One more fake to add in with the 2 above...same seller 2011charles93
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-1-oz-999-Genuine-Silver-Panda-coin-BU-Flawless-SEALED-FROM-MINT-/160995507423?pt=US_World_Coins

This one is listed as "buy it Now"

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2013, 09:41:41 AM »

Offline wg

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2013, 02:31:41 AM »

Offline pandalover

« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2013, 12:55:15 AM »

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »
Both 1989 NY Expo are fakes and the NGC slabs are designated as "DELETED".  The seller appears to sell mostly US silvers and just start to get into Chinese gold coins.  I sent him a message describing the fake.  This will be a bad experience for him.  Thank you for alerting CCF members.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2013, 12:57:58 PM »
The seller responded quickly and ended both 1989 NY Expo listings.

Offline pandalover

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2013, 12:49:09 AM »
also this one. seems those fake medal have largely entered the US market.
while in local mainland market, i start see some altered/fake slab of coin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-China-Mazu-14-oz-Gold-NGC-PF69-ULTRA-CAMEO-/190841073060

Offline adnap

• Coinsasia.com
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2013, 08:06:46 AM »
Hope not off topic but I received a silver coin today. In the area where the silver is flaking. Underneath exposes a brownish rust colour. I seem to recall watching a Maple being cut and revealing this brownish colour in the past? Gut tells me this is certain fake, however any experienced members advice on the rust colour flaking appreciated. (Item overweight and sorry pic is not HD but sure idea gets through)
Regards,
Ad

Offline pandalover

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2016, 01:28:24 AM »

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2016, 10:54:11 AM »
sure looks that way cert #??

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2016, 11:38:50 AM »
It's Fake.

See photos below for differences.

Top: Fake
Below: Real
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2016, 03:52:19 PM »
And the seller know it is a fake due to the fact that this seller is not showing the cert #.  Look like another fake one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-China-Mazur-gold-25ozt-1-4-999-24kt-coin-/272100509625) is listed with the same on not showing the #.  Whereas the # is shown for the gold eagle.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2016, 08:52:29 PM »

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2016, 03:16:13 PM »
If I read this correctly it means that a 2016 5-coin OMP Gold panda set sold on auction for $860 on eBay (Item# 131743128950).

However, on closer examination of the sale it looks like a fake/scam sale. Please correct me if I am wrong!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016year-5pcs-set-panda-gold-coin-1-20-1-10-1-4-1-2-1oz-with-coa-and-package-box-/131743128950?hash=item1eac809d76:g:-qQAAOSwr7ZW2WIx

Attached is a sale page screenshot.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2016, 09:43:32 PM »
Look at seller's location and feedback. Do you think he/she has real coins to sell, or just pictures of real coins?

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2016, 10:40:19 PM »
What do you think?
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2016, 10:43:52 PM »
What do you think?

Seller's name is Satan80! Hahaha ha

I have no doubt the buyer will have bought nothing but wasted time, and eventual reimbursement by eBay.