Author Topic: NGC Response Regarding The Authentication Of Pagoda Medals  (Read 20100 times)

Underbidder

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: NGC Response Regarding The Authentication Of Pagoda Medals
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2012, 02:49:36 AM »
Please do not spread the rumors (5 rumors in a single posting) while writing investment recomendation for the same coin.  This is not an acceptable practice in my book, especially from moderator/admininstrator of this forum.  There was enough damage done by you in the past by claiming all plated pagoda medals were fake.
THANK YOU POCONOPENN

I think ya gotta forgive Badon once in a while for that-

I suspect he does it when he's intoxicated, tired, and/or bored, instead of for financial gain.    

;)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:06:49 AM by Underbidder »

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2012, 10:14:35 AM »
Intoxicated?  Thats an old insult.  Get w/ the program, the new insult is "have you renewed your medical mary jane card?"  See, it works much better.  Back to pagodas.  Bottom line is the low mintage and surviving population (supply and demand).  IF the Chinese do not like pagodas then it is not that big of an issue.  Why?  The US and World buyers want pagodas. Those that own them will not sell unless it is a huge offer they cannot refuse.  So they are in strong hands.  Rare US coins are moving up too so many collectors/dealers have cash to spend.  The average citizen, sheeple, is also buying Chinese coins as others on the forum have stated.  MCC are getting popular real quick w/ a large population of US buyers as they read about the potential gains.  The one silver MCC that has made alot of attention is the pagoda.  Like it or not, the buyers are coming out and there are only so many silver pagodas.  There are only so many MCC too.  Exciting market to be a part of............

Offline MrOrganic

• WORLDCOLLECTIBLES310
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »
pandamonium makes a good point,

I saw & met MANY more MCC buyers, collectors, investors at the A.N.A than a year 1/2 ago when it was raging!
EMERGING MARKET GROUP  
195 south BEVERLY Dr. BEVERLY HILLS

Long Beach Expo
..Table #838

DECEMBER: Macau/H.K.

JANUARY: N.Y.

AUGUST: Hong Kong

GO TO my Ebay Click: http://stores.ebay.com/worldcollectibles310

EMERGING MARKET GROUP

PCGS,NGC & PMG Auth. Dealer
美国收藏家 – 收藏中国现代金银

EMGWORLDEWIDE@GMAIL.COM
WECHAT: LAMBORGHINICA

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2012, 01:00:02 PM »
Boybluejay put up a set of gilt brass Pagoda on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150875500386?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649
 Not the highest of grades, but I'm interested to see how high they will go for.  BTW, none of the lines are broken on the reverse side.

Has anyone heard any news (or even rumors) about the plated vs solid silver Pagoda?  That's the real bone of contention in this forum.  NGC's latest population report is silent on that matter.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2012, 02:12:25 PM »
At this point NGC says the silver plate pagodas are rarely seen. Does anyone have photos of a plate set?  Any out there?  My guess is the US buyers will want pandas too.  When I stop to think of all the potential buyers................

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2012, 10:35:52 PM »
A three-day auction on Pagoda by a new seller.  The starting bid is $1500 but no one is bidding on it so far.  Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Rare-set-of-4-China-22-g-Ancient-Pagoda-Silver-Medals-RARE-MINT-/120966992622?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item1c2a31d2ee

Underbidder

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2012, 10:55:21 PM »
My thoughts:            Plated.

Offline badon

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2012, 11:56:23 PM »
A three-day auction on Pagoda by a new seller.  The starting bid is $1500 but no one is bidding on it so far.  Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Rare-set-of-4-China-22-g-Ancient-Pagoda-Silver-Medals-RARE-MINT-/120966992622?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item1c2a31d2ee

I know some people don't like to hear rumors, but here's another rumor :)

This set appears familiar to me. I seem to recall being asked for an opinion about its authenticity in the recent past. As always, caution is advised when dealing with uncertified coins because it's not possible to be 100% sure until it has an NGC authenticity guarantee. But with that said, I think these pagoda coins are probably genuine. I better not say more than that without permission. If the people involved are reading this, they are certainly welcome to add their input as long as it doesn't reveal anything that's expected to be private.

Underbidder

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2012, 12:06:11 AM »
That's not a rumor-

That's only a half of a rumor- that's a "demirumor"...a "rumorette"... a "rumorini"....Nobody should get upset with only an incomplete rumor like that.  

Good job.         :thumbup1:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:13:34 AM by Underbidder »

Offline shibaji

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2012, 02:23:31 AM »
Looks like a lot of white spots or haze on the coins.

Offline badon

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2012, 02:54:20 AM »
Yes, haze. I don't see any white spots. Most of them had that haze, and NCS has had no trouble removing it, if they decide to conserve the coins.

Offline juliebin

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2012, 10:56:25 AM »
I'm the one asked Badon's opinion on the authenticity of this pagoda set from the same seller. It was a BIN sale on ebay a couple of weeks ago. After I questioned the seller the authenticity of the set and requested more detail pictures, instead of providing me more information, the seller canceled the transaction, saying that "We've decided to pull the item at this moment, we might re-list after getting authenticity certificate" and "If we do decide to have it certified and relist, we will definitely give you first shot."
After seeing the same seller relisted the item, I did message them to see whether they conclude their authenticity research, but never heard from them.
Regardless whether the set is genuine or not, I'd like to deal with a seller with better integrity and sincerity.

Offline shibaji

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2012, 12:33:13 PM »
@juliebin - thanks for sharing.