Author Topic: NCS conservation time  (Read 5241 times)

Offline shibaji

• Trade Count: (+2)
NCS conservation time
« on: July 11, 2012, 11:31:39 PM »
Few of my coins are sitting at NCS for past 3 weeks as "scheduled for evaluation" ! Unbelievable. Are they understaffed or plain lazy ? This is becoming really annoying.

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: NCS conservation time
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:56:17 PM »
They will send them back to you eventually, along with your bill. They promise you nothing more, not even an honest answer about whether they were actually conserved or not. You could use one of those psychic hotlines to find out.

Offline shibaji

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 12:01:59 AM »
Problem is that few of the coins had mild toning, and I thought NCS would remove them and so a better grade would be more probable from NGC. Do not know any other way in which I can achieve this, otherwise I will opt for that.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 01:04:02 PM »
From my experience with several submissions … the average time from the moment NCS/NGC receives your coins to the moment they are back in your hands is about thirty days. I have had cases where they sat in “scheduled for evaluation” for three weeks but the grading process then moved quickly.

If your coins have been there for three weeks and submitted as “C-World Modern” then I would guess you should have them back within the next week.

Offline shibaji

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:31:18 PM »
Thanks comeaux

Yesterday I emailed the customer service and someone from NCS responded that they are now evaluating modern tier around the date of my submission, and by end of the week or early next week they will send it to NGC. So, looks like this is the typical case - sit on it for 3-4 weeks, the move fast.

I will update on the status. I have two more batches in the pipeline, and based on these three we can gauge current wait time.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:07:05 PM »
Purchased a 1999 Expo bear from tamo42 in the first week of May, he sent it in a week or 2 later and it is still not back 3 months later. I think there is a problem.

Offline shibaji

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
Purchased a 1999 Expo bear from tamo42 in the first week of May, he sent it in a week or 2 later and it is still not back 3 months later. I think there is a problem.

Wow! Have you/ta-mo contacted them ?

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »
Wow! Have you/ta-mo contacted them ?
I don't think I can contact them about tamo's submissions, tamo tells me on June 16th they are still in line at NCS.
I figure either NCS/NCG is too busy running commercial dealers mass submission coins through the mill or tamo hit a MS70 and left the country.  :scared: :laugh:

Offline PandaBrian

• Buy the Best, Forget the Rest.
    • PandaAmerica
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »
Patience Grasshopper...Its not like you have a choice anyway.  :biggrin:

NCS conservation is "scheduled" based on when the submission is received and its completion is affected by the number of submissions in the pipeline. NGC submissions have set dates on the submission for when it should be graded and when it should ship and these are based on the submission tier and date of receipt.  Turn around time can be affected by the number of submissions on hand at a particular time.  Sometimes there may be delays when graders are at shows and they are short staffed.  Submissions may be delayed if the coin is unusual and needs additional research or a consultant opinion.  

NCS tries to follow a schedule based on date the submission is received.  This can obviously be affected by the number of submission received during that period or difficulty of the conservation effort.  And then there can be a delay if the coin is submitted for grading after conservation.  Delays are usually going to be the result of quantity of submissions on hand at a particular time, which is reasonable.

You can always call, but all you'll do is tie up staff time.  If your submission shows online as being in process, then they know they have it and need to get to it.  
 :001_cool:

Brian Silliman
Senior Numismatist
Panda America
Brian@PandaAmerica.com
www.PandaAmerica.com

Instructor: ANA Coin Grading & Counterfeit Detection Seminars.
Former NGC Authenticator & Grader, NCS Conservator and ANA Authenticator

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 06:02:27 PM »
NCS conservation is "scheduled" based on when the submission is received and its completion is affected by the number of submissions in the pipeline. NGC submissions have set dates on the submission for when it should be graded and when it should ship and these are based on the submission tier and date of receipt. 

This was what I was alluding to..
I'm guessing the larger coin companies have a higher priority tier and have overloaded NCS's ability to process in a reasonable and timely manner for the lowly smaller guys.
This is frustrating from where most of us are standing and a good indicator to where the smaller submitter stands with NGC.
So now we get to wait 3 months for them to possibly not conserve the coins we pay to have conserved before they send it off for grading? Meh!  :thumbdown:

Offline shibaji

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 07:38:37 PM »
I doubt larger coin companies use NCS for business. It is not cost effective.

Offline PandaBrian

• Buy the Best, Forget the Rest.
    • PandaAmerica
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 07:52:51 PM »
To clarify:

The submissions are handled in the order they are received.  So if there are a lot of submissions, all submissions may be delayed.  Likewise, if there aren't a lot of submissions, all submissions are completed sooner.  If you want faster or priority service, they offer an expedited service for an additional fee. 

When I was at NCS, we received submissions from collectors, dealers, and auction houses.  Whether its cost effective, depends on the material you submit.
Brian Silliman
Senior Numismatist
Panda America
Brian@PandaAmerica.com
www.PandaAmerica.com

Instructor: ANA Coin Grading & Counterfeit Detection Seminars.
Former NGC Authenticator & Grader, NCS Conservator and ANA Authenticator

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 08:57:02 PM »
Thank you PandaBrian for clarification.
I see you worked there in the past, your input is appreciated.
/but still.. 3 months?  :001_rolleyes:

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 05:51:23 PM »
Its not like you have a choice anyway.  :biggrin:

Also, I think maybe you are mistaken.. not only in displaying this posture to the public as an NGC insider but also what unhappy customers are capable of doing. You really don't want to be "that business" that we all laugh and clap in glee over it's demise... and many of us here would prefer that NGC would wake up and do better so we don't have to see this.
/just sayin

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 12:27:44 AM »
Also, I think maybe you are mistaken.. not only in displaying this posture to the public as an NGC insider but also what unhappy customers are capable of doing. You really don't want to be "that business" that we all laugh and clap in glee over it's demise... and many of us here would prefer that NGC would wake up and do better so we don't have to see this.
/just sayin

I took the statement “it’s not like you have a choice” mock seriously as it was basically in a joking way.

Besides … if you want your coins conserved then at the moment you really do not have another choice, I'm not really sure if that can be said in any nicer.