Author Topic: Medal ranking list from Huang Ruiyong  (Read 2644 times)

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
Medal ranking list from Huang Ruiyong
« on: July 06, 2012, 12:30:30 PM »
Badon, I have translated Huang Ruiyong's medal ranking list. I shared it with a CCF member, who found it very useful and encouraged me to post here on CCF. I have emailed Huang for his permission to post, but he has not gotten back to me yet. Do you think I can post here?

Offline shibaji

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Medal ranking list from Huang Ruiyong
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 12:50:04 PM »
If the list is publicly available on Internet, what is the issue ?

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 11:01:32 PM »
If the list is publicly available on Internet, what is the issue ?
Not all the publicly available info is freely re-distributable. I leave the decision up to the moderators. In the meantime, if anyone is interested in the list, just send an email to fwang2450atGmail.com. I will provide the list privately.

For those who do not know, Huang Ruiyong is one of the pioneers in MCC. He wrote widely on topics of MCC, and published a book named Ode to Grace in a Prosperous Time, a wonderful guide to MCC collection. That book contains a star (ranking) list of currency coins with denomination, which I am still in the process of translation. The medal list is taken from his post on jibi.net. His ranking is based on the 10 criteria discussed in his Ode to Grace, which I cannot enumerat here. For Chinese collectors, his two ranking lists are referenced heavily in collection decisions. The lists are not perfect, but they do provide a perspective on what is generally regarded as prize coins in China.

Offline PandaOrLunar

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:40:27 AM by fwang2450 »

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 12:44:49 AM »
Fascinating list!
1978 1.5oz Archaeological Object Exhibit medal sounds especially interesting...
Based off of topic titles and descriptions, I'm unsure of the best place to post questions about it though.  :001_smile:

PH

Offline bonke

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 07:16:33 AM »
On Friday, I attended the first day of the coin show in Kowloon.  I found a 12 piece silver Archaeological set with the original box and COA.  Each medal is in excellent condition (although some medals have toning).  The price was very reasonable.

There was little or no interest in this set.  I found it at noon (four hours after the Early Birds were admiited to the show).  If I had not purchased it, I am comfortable that it would have remained unsold.  Hundreds of dealers and collectors had an opportunity to see the set and purchase it before it came to my attention. 

I am submitting the medals in the set to NGC for authentication and grading.  I am not leaving them in the original plastic holders.

Question.  Should I submit it to NCS for conservation?  The toning on many of the silver medals is purple (which is often seen on medals from the late 1980s and is probably caused by the plastic capsules in which the medals are held).  At this point, the medals look "natural" and un-impaired.  After NCS, much of the purple toning will be removed and the medals will look "different."

Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Mark Bonke

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 09:09:02 PM »
"...There was little or no interest in this set..."

Interesting. They know something we don't know?

Offline bonke

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 11:49:11 PM »
Most people paid the early bird fee and entered the coin show at 8 a.m.  I did not pay the 300 yuan and waited, along with a small hand full of people, until 10 a.m. when I was permitted to enter for 20 yuan.  At 10 a.m., the show was very, very crowded.  I spent 2 hours working my way around the room.  I found this set just as I was completing my first circuit at noon.  I would guess that every other attendee had seen the medal set before I found it.  "Little or no interest" is probably inappropriate.  There was "no interest" by an attendee other than me.  As a medal collector, I was pleased to find it and purchase it.  Still, I would not want to try to sell it at the coin show in Kowloon in early August or at the Stacks, Bowers & Ponterio auction which will accompany this coin show.  Often, coin forum participants have indicated that Chinese collectors strongly prefer to collect coins, not medals.  I have wondered whether they were correct.  After seeing so many Chinese people ignore this Archaeological Silver Set, I have been forced to agree that it does matter whether an item is a coin or a medal.

Today, I sent the set to NCS for conservation.  I found enough haze on some of the silver medals and decided professional help was needed.

Mark Bonke

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 01:58:56 AM »
It is difficult to take coins back to mainland.  Collectors and dealers want high value items only.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 06:41:18 AM »
The time to buy is when it is cheap and others ignore so good score.      Small proof gold pandas have been somewhat ignored recently too.     In time medals will become popular.     Coins are kings today and there is still a good supply.      Supply is finite, what happens when we have more buyers then supply?....