Author Topic: The scary undeniable problem with Pagodas  (Read 17455 times)

Offline shibaji

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: The scary undeniable problem with Pagodas
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2012, 11:47:46 PM »
... There were some discussions of undervalued coins with future potential on the Chinese jibi.net site. The coins mentioned were the 1986 WWF panda, the 1997 minorities set, the Silk Road sets and many 1998 coins, ...

What is a fair price for 1997 minorities set ? OMP and 69 grade ? Thanks!

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2012, 12:47:51 AM »
What is a fair price for 1997 minorities set ? OMP and 69 grade ? Thanks!
OMP is between $400-500. No 69 grades are for sale right now. But you can do some calculation based on the OMP price.

Offline shibaji

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2012, 01:10:09 AM »
OMP is between $400-500. No 69 grades are for sale right now. But you can do some calculation based on the OMP price.

Thank you so much. The OMP for sale currently at Ebay is certainly overpriced in that case.

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2012, 04:29:02 AM »
It seems a lot of coins are overpriced on eBay. I guess people are holding out for higher prices. There are a few auctions going on though, and there's several reliable dealers that frequently sell for what the coins are worth. I don't know how they make money, but as a buyer, I'm not complaining!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2012, 10:19:45 AM »
NGC says the paoda article will finally be out by this Friday or maybe around Labor Day.  Maybe for once and all, the truth will be known.  My guess is that the graded silver pagodas are genuine silver and not plate.  Will wait for official announcement.  Their comments will either kill the market or return pagodas to their most high former status.  My guess, big price rise from demand for silver pagodas is on the way as this will be the last hurdle to cross.  Just a guess, I am waiting for the article and hopefully they will answer questions too. ....................

Offline shibaji

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2012, 12:54:04 PM »
My guess is there will not be a change in market at all - no matter what NGC says. Graded pagodas are silver is common knowledge, and remains the same. Did anything change after the Goldfish announcement ?

Please do not create hype.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2012, 02:32:24 PM »
A year or so ago the paodas were expensive as were many other MCC.   I have watched market prices go up, down, and now up slow.  I track what is affordable like silver MCC.  It makes sense the former expensive coins will return to their former value and that is happening now.  Big silver kilos have headed up in the last 2 months.  There is also more demand for 12 oz.  The pagodas were in that group before the disagreements.  Yes, they may go up slow like the goldfish.  Jay's PF 69 goldfish yesterday were higher at $400+ to $500 each.   Pagodas have been held back so I view them as a coiled spring.  There are still fans of them such as you, Shibaji (and me).  1990 goldfish is 2000 mintage.  Pagodas 260 mint.   Demand is there , supply is not...    I also believe many pagoda buyers are sitting on the sidelines until the issue is cleared up. Even some dealers are not participating. ........

Offline sasushi

• Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2012, 02:50:21 AM »
I wish I had Badon's crystal ball, to see what coins will pop in value in the future. For some reason, the speedskater has been unpopular among Chinese collectors. Maybe because it is a specialty (sports) coin? There were some discussions of undervalued coins with future potential on the Chinese jibi.net site. The coins mentioned were the 1986 WWF panda, the 1997 minorities set, the Silk Road sets and many 1998 coins, as the mintage of most coins in 1998 was much smaller than the officially released numbers due to the market meltdown in 1997. I may also add the 1992 proof (5 yuan) Environmental Protection coin, which appeared on eBay only once in the last 6 months apart from Huanyin and Naomi's high price listings. Either the mintage in Mr Ge's book is wrong (20000, but the official yearbook says 2000), or collectors just hold on to it. But then it is hard to predict whether their price will be "discovered" in the future. They may remain low-value coins all the time, like the 198x proof gold pandas. 

Hello fwang2450

Have you got more Informatiom on the UNEP 5 Yuan and the minorities?
Which Yearbook do you mean ?

Thank You.