Author Topic: The scary undeniable problem with Pagodas  (Read 16327 times)

Underbidder

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The scary undeniable problem with Pagodas
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 03:44:35 AM »
I agree- let the information come out, and let the chips fall where they may. If there exist plated Pagodas, fine, then that is history, you can't change that.
Fun to collect plated medals too.  Just not pay too-high price for plated when buyer thinks they are getting sterling ones. Discovery is good.

We will be learning a lot about these medals in due order. Just allow the information to come out, without killing the messengers, thank you.  That is the problem in countries with heavy-handed dictatorships: their " leaders" try to squash free flow of information exchange, thinking it threatens their control.  In the end the truth comes out, but the dictators lose to the people eventually because truth DOES get discovered and passed around eventually as people stand their ground. Think Tiananmen Square.

Offline shibaji

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 02:08:25 PM »
Looks like NGC has two different labels for similar pagoda silver coins. One says "SILVER" other says "S20G"

Offline shibaji

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
Pagoda set auctions ended today morning:

China 1984 Silver Pagoda Medal Yingxian Wooden Temple NGC PF-68UC         $510
China 1984 Silver Pagoda Medal Zhenjue Temple NGC PF-69UC                 $1000
China 1984 Silver Pagoda Medal Kaiyuan Temple NGC PF-69UC                 $1009
China 1984 Silver Pagoda Medal Songyue Temple NGC PF-69UC                 $1140

Total  $3659 [without box, which is currently going for $127.50, which makes the total $3786.5]

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 02:35:10 PM »
I have been emailing a NGC member.  Have emailed photos of broken line vs connected line.  Asked if one is plated.  There is information coming out on the pagodas and hopefully this issue of plate vs real silver will be solved in the next few days...................

Offline shibaji

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
I have been emailing a NGC member.  Have emailed photos of broken line vs connected line.  Asked if one is plated.  There is information coming out on the pagodas and hopefully this issue of plate vs real silver will be solved in the next few days...................

So far all the silver pagodas I have seen have broken line for Kaiyuan temple. For the gold gilt, there is no broken line anywhere. Have you seen a silver set where there is no broken line ? Not sure where this confusion comes from.

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 04:51:45 PM »
I have seen one Kaiyuan pagoda coin with a connected line certified by NGC as 1984 S20 medal. The certification took place less than a year ago. I believe NGC (armed with badon's information) did some extra testing on it and was sent out for an outside expert. It came back certified as 1984 S20 and a high grade. For NGC, deciding whether it is sterling or plated should be very very easy and straightforward. They can assay it with a non-invasive device (i believe it is called a Spectrometer).

Offline shibaji

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 04:54:44 PM »
I have seen one Kaiyuan pagoda coin with a connected line certified by NGC as 1984 S20 medal. The certification took place less than a year ago. I believe NGC (armed with badon's information) did some extra testing on it and was sent out for an outside expert. It came back certified as 1984 S20 and a high grade. For NGC, deciding whether it is sterling or plated should be very very easy and straightforward. They can assay it with a non-invasive device (i believe it is called a Spectrometer).

I would certainly love to see that continuous line Kaiyuan coin, as the current S20G set listed in Ebay also has broken line. See 390381877704

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 05:01:26 PM »
I will see if I can share that info with the forum.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 12:27:38 PM »

Offline shibaji

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 10:25:08 PM »
Dealer friend at China says there are silver, silver plated and gilt gold versions of 1984 pagoda sets, just like 1984 goldfish sets.

Offline Gilmore

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »
Dealer friend at China says there are silver, silver plated and gilt gold versions of 1984 pagoda sets, just like 1984 goldfish sets.

A few dealers I was talking to said the same thing, but there is probably no way of verifying this.

Offline shibaji

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 11:39:41 PM »
A few dealers I was talking to said the same thing, but there is probably no way of verifying this.

Considering they knew about the 1984 goldfish versions with authority BEFORE NGC recognized them, I would take their word as correct.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 09:27:25 AM »
NGC is coming out w/ a announcement on the pagodas soon.  This should answer all questions and end speculation.  All I can tell you at this time is to buy pagodas!!...................

Offline exchange

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 09:47:45 AM »

Maybe the mintage of 260 is for each type bringing the total closer to 1000.

exchange

Offline shibaji

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 11:18:21 AM »
Maybe the mintage of 260 is for each type bringing the total closer to 1000.

exchange

My guess is gold gilt is certainly way more than 260, based on it's abundant availability.