Author Topic: What do you guys make of this gold Panda?  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
What do you guys make of this gold Panda?
« on: May 16, 2012, 03:06:24 PM »
Just received this, my photos don't show the label but it received a PCGS MS70 grade.  But the coin looks like it has some kind of milky/dusty/cloudy appearance to it.  The whole obverse has this appearance, and it's easy to see how milky/dusty/cloudy by noticing the small spots where for some reason it's clean and those spots contrast strongly against the rest of the coin.  Almost as if the coin was covered in dust when encapsulated (though I don't think it's dust), except for a couple of clean spots.   It may be a 70 in terms of strike and technical merits, but in terms of eye appeal it's...disappointing.  The reverse also has the same "stuff" on it, though it's not as dramatic.

And no, what you're seeing isn't a function of a dirty holder - it's on the coin itself.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Eric

Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline dobedo

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: What do you guys make of this gold Panda?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:28:37 PM »
Ugly. Return it. You deserve better.

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 03:50:16 PM »
I have seen this before.  May have even been the same coin but I don't think so.  It was a PCGS holdered MS70 200Y coin.  It usually has a slight greenish tint to it.  The little information I could gather is that it is something to steer clear of. I don't know what causes it but it seems NCS can't remove it.  I'd definitely return the coin if possible.  Maybe someone else has more input as to what actually caused this.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 06:23:07 PM »
I have seen this before.  May have even been the same coin but I don't think so.

I think that may have been the nasty 2005 1/2 PCGS that appeared on eBay twice with the messed up haze-green temple side.
This one is a 2006 with a messed up panda side. (I think it was also recently on eBay too)
That film or HAZE is something to watch for (especially with PCGS gold).
There have been a host of latter date PCGS graded 1/2 gold pandas that appear to be afflicted this way...
If you can send it back, I would advise doing so.

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 06:42:27 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the replies and input, I appreciate it.

I've never seen this before, so if it's something "going around" with PCGS halves I totally missed it.

This coin is being returned tomorrow.  What a shame.

Eric
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 07:15:46 PM »
I've never seen this before, so if it's something "going around" with PCGS halves I totally missed it.

I really doubt it has much to do with PCGS.  Maybe just a coincidence?  I'm guessing something was done to the coin prior to submitting it to PCGS.  Possibly home remedy to remove toning or spots?  Or maybe the coin was introduced to an environment either prior to slabbing or after where it was damaged in some way.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 11:01:58 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200-Yn-2006-China-Panda-1-2-ounce-999-PCGS-MS70-/180880390314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1d4fb8aa

"Now here is a great super gem.  A 200 Yn, 2006 China Panda 1/2 ounce .999 Gold.  This coin is a masterpiece certified by PCGS as MS70.  Nothing else to add.  See pics."

:sneaky2:

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 12:09:03 AM »
That's the one.  I believed that any cloudiness I was seeing in the eBay pix was a combination of overexposure and artifacts/blemishes on the PCGS holder.  I was wrong.  Probably won't be the last time...
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 01:14:42 AM »
Do you know how long ago the coin was slabbed? I once had a beautiful gold Panda with almost invisible haze on it. PCGS graded it a 66, apparently because of the haze. Over the years, after it was graded, the haze became more noticeable until it was pretty awful.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
www.pandacollector .com

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 03:21:33 PM »
Hi Peter, sorry for the delayed reply.  I purchased the coin on eBay, so I don't know when it was slabbed - not sure if submitting the cert number to PCGS would get me that info.  I've never asked for that before.

I did return the coin, got a refund.  Am now curious to see if the seller attempts to relist it as a "gem masterpiece" again.

Thanks again to everyone for the input and help,
Eric
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 08:59:41 PM »
I have to be honest and say that I'm pissed off...the seller received the MS70 coin back from me, and relisted it with the exact same description and same terrible photos.  The description reads:

"Now here is a great super gem.  A 200 Yn, 2006 China Panda 1/2 ounce .999 Gold.  This coin is a masterpiece certified by PCGS as MS70.  Nothing else to add.  See pics."

So now this same coin is someone else's problem.  I am not one to recklessly leave negative feedback, as I'm a seller myself so I see it from both sides, but I was very clear with him why I was returning the coin, and that the surface issue had to be pointed out either in the photos or textually.  He just relisted it as is, no changes to the photos or text.  I can't help but think he just doesn't care.

Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com