Author Topic: MODERN CHINESE MEDALS - Is this market in collapse?  (Read 32615 times)

barsenault

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: MODERN CHINESE MEDALS - Is this market in collapse?
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2014, 09:58:48 PM »
Hey Contra, what are your thoughts on this medal? Just curious.  Thanks.  N20

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2014, 12:48:02 AM »
It's the same practice as most coin shops' and pawnshops' dealers; they buy back numismatic coins from collectors at melt (or even a few percent below melt) then they sell at profit (10, 20 and even 40 times of melt for rare coins).

Most coin shops are spoiled by people bringing in rare coins and selling them for melt that they don't need to buy coins from knowledgeable collectors at any premium unless they know the coins very well (coins shops buy everything so they have to be careful not to pay a premium for something that maybe a fake simply because they don't specialize in coins from that country or time period).  

By the same token knowledgeable collectors should understand the value of their collectibles and know the best venue to sell them for 70-80% of market value in a flat market and 90-100% of market value in a rising market.  If you really want a fair price for your coins sell them on ebay or go to coin show and find someone that specialize in the types of coins you are selling and they will pay a fair price for the coins.    

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2014, 05:52:23 AM »
Hey Contra, what are your thoughts on this medal? Just curious.  Thanks.  N20

Same opinion as the Singapore 2014 coin fair medal:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=10089.0
(my post at the bottom of page 1)

Most coin shops are spoiled by people bringing in rare coins and selling them for melt that they don't need to buy coins from knowledgeable collectors at any premium unless they know the coins very well (coins shops buy everything so they have to be careful not to pay a premium for something that maybe a fake simply because they don't specialize in coins from that country or time period). 

By the same token knowledgeable collectors should understand the value of their collectibles and know the best venue to sell them for 70-80% of market value in a flat market and 90-100% of market value in a rising market.  If you really want a fair price for your coins sell them on ebay or go to coin show and find someone that specialize in the types of coins you are selling and they will pay a fair price for the coins.   

What you said is so true.

Pawnshops are the worst places to sell; they completely ignored numismatic value when they're buying-in, they only recognize numismatic value when they're selling.

barsenault

« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2014, 12:20:38 AM »
Same opinion as the Singapore 2014 coin fair medal:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=10089.0
(my post at the bottom of page 1)

What you said is so true.

Pawnshops are the worst places to sell; they completely ignored numismatic value when they're buying-in, they only recognize numismatic value when they're selling.

Contra/anyone, what does this mean (from the link above): "A word to the wise --- stick to investment grade Chinese coins/medals; those manufactured by the China mints."  What is an investment grade? Thanks.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2014, 02:01:27 AM »
Hey Contra, what are your thoughts on this medal? Just curious.  Thanks.  N20

This is a medal from Shenyang Mint, by the same artist who had designed and engraved the Putuo medals. The 45 mm Putuo bronze medal rose from RMB160 half a year ago to about RMB400 now. Nice return for anyone with investment in mind.

barsenault

« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2014, 07:45:23 AM »
This is a medal from Shenyang Mint, by the same artist who had designed and engraved the Putuo medals. The 45 mm Putuo bronze medal rose from RMB160 half a year ago to about RMB400 now. Nice return for anyone with investment in mind.

Thanks Contra.  I can't wait to see the Wutai medal in all it's fine detail. :-)

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2014, 06:23:10 AM »
Contra/anyone, what does this mean (from the link above): "A word to the wise --- stick to investment grade Chinese coins/medals; those manufactured by the China mints."  What is an investment grade? Thanks.

My opinion for what pandaguy meant = only buy official mints' coins/medals and graded in PCGS/NGC slabs.

My opinion for "investment grade" is MS/PR60+. Unless it is an extremely rare coin that is valuable in any grade.

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2014, 09:49:32 AM »
My opinion for what pandaguy meant = only buy official mints' coins/medals and graded in PCGS/NGC slabs.

My opinion for "investment grade" is MS/PR60+. Unless it is an extremely rare coin that is valuable in any grade.

My opinion is to only buy official mint coins or medals either raw or graded by PCGS/NGC. Many prefer raw, which is fine. There are many fantastic-looking non-mint issue medals that some people like to collect for their beauty. However, for various reasons, some collectors may shy away from non-mint issued medals. However, if I like it, I buy it. It is entirely a personal preference.

Offline jwa1inv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2014, 04:38:42 PM »
My definition of investment grade is 68 or better for extremely rare, below 1000
mintage and 69 or better for merely rare, below 10,000. Upper grades have most
volatility, thus most risk, both upside and downside.
I have had some gorgeous 66 coins, but price performance wise I like high grade.

One of our CCF members regularly does well purchasing from Pawn shops.
He sold some valuable/profitable beauties to me years ago and still posts amazing finds.
There is money to be made for many parties concerned depending on how greedy/generous
each middleman is. Sellers with turnover needs can seem generous.
When some pawnshops buy low and just go for reasonable margin they leave some on
the table for the buyer. They ignore their numismatic homework probably for convenience.

barsenault

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2015, 10:46:29 PM »
I don't know about the entire Chinese medal market, but for sure certain Chinese medals are clearly selling well these days I think....A) there has been recent strong interest in the 2011 Xi-Shi Holding a Pearl medal  and B) interest in the 2014 World Heritage series seems to be picking up. I'm sure other medals are also seeing good movement in the market as well.

Which medals do you think are getting attention in the market now?

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2015, 08:19:10 AM »
My knowledge is limited but the new issue medals are seeing demand today.   In time the early year issue will see more demand and price.   The long awaited MCC depleted inventory and increased demand is coming.  Again, the Yuan and AIIB banks have captivated the World countries.   The US debt/derviatives/disfunctional government will in time send the USD the other direction, down the main drain.   Obvious to all.   The world will soon flood to the Yuan & bullion as there is no other choice for survival.  The world will also flood to collectible Chinese money.   The potential for gains is very high and then some.   The evidence was obvious 5 yrs ago and have many on board collecting MCC and other Chinese money........Rare, low mintage medals will do very, very well.......   

Offline cloudtoground

« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2015, 06:59:17 PM »
modern Chinese medals - Is this market in collapse?

I collect modern Chinese medals (along with modern Chinese coins and stamps).  On May 11th, a 1985 silver (1 oz) 94th ANA medal sold on Ebay for $2193.99 (NGC PF68UC).  This is the silver medal with "The Great Wall" shown in mirror image on the medal.  Planned mintage was 500 and actual mintage is unknown, but estimated to be around 160.  Different varieties?  Who knows?  I do not think anyone has studied enough examples of this medal to know.  Still, a mintage of 160 +/- should make this quite collectible.  NGC has graded 15 with 1-67, 7-68 & 7-69.

During the last year or so, I have seen one of these medals sell on Ebay for $500 (Buy It Now) (raw) and at $6900 (PF69UC).  I purchased a raw one from Majestic Rarities at the Fun Show for $5000 (and had it graded at NGC PF69UC).  I have seen Panda America list one (raw) on Ebay for various prices (and I do not know if it ever sold).

My question.  Whether we look at the 1985 ANA medal or any other modern Chinese medal, are the prices of these medals dropping lower and lower, and is this market still collasping?  Generally, I would say this is true.  There are exceptions such as the 1987 5 oz gold God of Longevity.  The price of this medal is not collasping.  Why?  None are for sale.  In other cases, the prices have dropped because the seller is unwilling to do so to complete a sale.  So, the item remains listed at a Buy It Now price which is too high for the present marketplace.

I welcome you comments and discussion.

Mark Bonke  

I am so glad so glad I didn't put much money into the Chinese silver and gold coin market.  After some successes back in 2009 with some Chinese coins I bought a few more in 2012.  I lost some but I was looking at some of the prices and wow, what a collapse.  Really silver and gold coins across the board.  On top of that you have to worry about the black and white spots that seem to plague Chinese coins or world coins in general.  I buy a couple coins a year now.  I just bought my first coin of this year.  But since the prices have collapse I might buy a few more, but I still won't buy more than a few a year.  I think I will stick to banknotes since they don't have the hype nor the metal fluctuations nor the condition problems that coins do.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »

I am so glad so glad I didn't put much money into the Chinese silver and gold coin market.  After some successes back in 2009 with some Chinese coins I bought a few more in 2012.  I lost some but I was looking at some of the prices and wow, what a collapse.  Really silver and gold coins across the board.  On top of that you have to worry about the black and white spots that seem to plague Chinese coins or world coins in general.  I buy a couple coins a year now.  I just bought my first coin of this year.  But since the prices have collapse I might buy a few more, but I still won't buy more than a few a year.  I think I will stick to banknotes since they don't have the hype nor the metal fluctuations nor the condition problems that coins do.

Each person has his favorite, but for me, holding solid gold in my hAnd is infinitely more pleasurable than a piece of paper :)

Birdman

barsenault

« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2015, 08:25:33 PM »
amen to that birdman.  I'd take this with white spots all day any day, every day over paper with ink.  BUT, to your point, to each his own.