Author Topic: MODERN CHINESE MEDALS - Is this market in collapse?  (Read 35770 times)

barsenault

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: MODERN CHINESE MEDALS - Is this market in collapse?
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2014, 01:05:01 PM »
Why that website didn't have an English version?

Not sure, but did you see the pictures. :-)

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2014, 01:07:17 PM »
Not sure, but did you see the pictures. :-)

Other than a few pictures of zoomed out view of coins, most are just of people gathering to take photos together.

barsenault

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2014, 01:10:35 PM »
Other than a few pictures of zoomed out view of coins, most are just of people gathering to take photos together.

They seem as excited as us about medals and coins. LOL.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2014, 02:49:50 PM »
Let me guess, he didn't managed to get the 2013 expo medal? lol

Is this meant seriously? The note I wrote to Prof. Huang to thank him for the medal he gave me as a gift was posted on the internet.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Pandagongzi

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2014, 04:56:31 PM »
Not a bad price.  :ohmy:

The trend is going back to their true value - melt value.  ;)

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2014, 08:05:53 PM »
Is this meant seriously? The note I wrote to Prof. Huang to thank him for the medal he gave me as a gift was posted on the internet.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

No, I meant it as a joke. That's why I "lol" at the end. What note? Where?

They seem as excited as us about medals and coins. LOL.

I rather the photographer take more close-up photos of coins instead of people. I mean, if I wanted to see photos of people, there's always facebook.

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2014, 08:11:41 PM »
The trend is going back to their true value - melt value.  ;)

Maybe because it is a OMP? If it is PF69 or 70, it would not be sold near melt.

barsenault

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2014, 08:15:40 PM »
No, I meant it as a joke. That's why I "lol" at the end. What note? Where?

I rather the photographer take more close-up photos of coins instead of people. I mean, if I wanted to see photos of people, there's always facebook.

you are one funny dude.  If ever you come to the states, and specifically South Carolina, let's grab a beer.  Some people take life and medals a bit too serious around here.  I think you are a hoot.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2014, 12:08:03 AM »
You may not know that the so-called "2013 expo" was sponsored by Huang's organization, among others. Here are some pictures of that expo: http://www.coin001.com/read.php?tid=38537

Huang wrote about this medal. You can use Goolge Translate to get the gist: http://www.shbiz.com.cn/Item/220205.aspx.  He was advertizing for it.
fwang2450,
I find this paragraph quite interesting:
中秋之前,中国金币总公司在上海、北京、深圳三地试水熊猫金币回购,终于让大家认识到:从此我们的身旁多了一种超级现金,这就是含艺术品、贵金属和现金功能为一体的熊猫金币。若试水效果不错,熊猫金币之回购终将在全国主要商业银行网点铺开。这必将极大地激发普罗大众争做新一代巴依老爷的金币情结。
It sounds like there is a pilot program to buy back gold panda?  To stimulate public interests in gold panda?  Could you or other forum members elaborate on this? 

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2014, 12:56:55 AM »
fwang2450,
I find this paragraph quite interesting:
中秋之前,中国金币总公司在上海、北京、深圳三地试水熊猫金币回购,终于让大家认识到:从此我们的身旁多了一种超级现金,这就是含艺术品、贵金属和现金功能为一体的熊猫金币。若试水效果不错,熊猫金币之回购终将在全国主要商业银行网点铺开。这必将极大地激发普罗大众争做新一代巴依老爷的金币情结。
It sounds like there is a pilot program to buy back gold panda?  To stimulate public interests in gold panda?  Could you or other forum members elaborate on this? 
This buy-back program has been in existence since last Sept, but with little success, as they buy back only gold pandas issued in 2013, for close to spot price. Most people with the 2013 gold pandas are under water due to the high premium. Here is a post giving a summary: http://gold.hexun.com/2013-12-10/160444335.html

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2014, 04:13:48 AM »
you are one funny dude.  If ever you come to the states, and specifically South Carolina, let's grab a beer.  Some people take life and medals a bit too serious around here.  I think you are a hoot.

Thanks for your kind words.

barsenault

« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2014, 06:13:01 AM »
This buy-back program has been in existence since last Sept, but with little success, as they buy back only gold pandas issued in 2013, for close to spot price. Most people with the 2013 gold pandas are under water due to the high premium. Here is a post giving a summary: http://gold.hexun.com/2013-12-10/160444335.html

I'm not sure I understand why they would buy back 2013 gold pandas only? And who would do such a crazy thing at spot? Those 2013's are gems.

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2014, 10:15:57 AM »
I'm not sure I understand why they would buy back 2013 gold pandas only? And who would do such a crazy thing at spot? Those 2013's are gems.

It's the same practice as most coin shops' and pawnshops' dealers; they buy back numismatic coins from collectors at melt (or even a few percent below melt) then they sell at profit (10, 20 and even 40 times of melt for rare coins). They will strictly only want to buy in low at melt and as a buyer, they won't talk or accept the numismatic value. Once I asked them if they were selling those numismatic coins in the display windows near melt since they buy back at/below melt. They said there is a "collector value" on top of melt because those are numismatic. I asked them back why they don't recognize numismatic value when I tried to sell them my coin. They kept quiet.

Buy in at melt, then sell at 20 times of melt. Very "clever" strategy but collectors like me aren't stupid.

No way am I selling numismatic coins to those coin shops at those ridiculously low prices. I would sell only bullion coins that have no collector's value to them, and I specially select those bullion coins that have dings, toning, milk spots as they don't recognize condition of the coins too, they only go by weight.

However a few of the nicer coin shops' dealers (very rare in this world now) do take numismatic coins and recognizing numismatic value too. Those nice dealers will also pay a premium on top of melt. It would be like 65% or 70% of what you paid initially for the coin. When you show them receipts of your past purchase, they will also try to increase their buy-back price. It's an integrity thing. Knowing making profits is important to cover costs and rent, but integrity is also important as well.