Author Topic: MODERN CHINESE MEDALS - Is this market in collapse?  (Read 35750 times)

Offline Contrapunctus

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: MODERN CHINESE MEDALS - Is this market in collapse?
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2014, 12:02:01 PM »
1. Medal has less demand in China
2. Due to high premium over spot,  medal has almost no melt
3. Due to melt on bullion coins, lots of keydates have less surviving pop than medals

Thanks for the info.

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2014, 12:08:19 PM »
Lots of 90's coins got melt due to lack of demand.  And dealers could get their money back quickly that way.  Remember lots of keydates today back then were only sold with little premium over spot,  some were even lower than or on spot.

I don't know what kind of mentality those dealers have.

I mean, isn't a silver coin minted by an official mint more valuable than a self-melt, home-made silver bar?

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2014, 12:21:03 PM »
I know Clark Smith had a 1985 Great Wall for sale for a few months, but it was sold quite recently.  It does show up once in a while, but expect to pay $3000 to $5000 for it.  Even raw one won't be cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/China-1985-ANA-Convention-1-oz-silver-Proof-Medal-GREAT-WALL-original-holder-/351002292514?nma=true&si=kiOCSkgX8rQNAXvabJ2ZVO%252F5hvU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
A few hundred dollars for a medal of 4.5 stars on Huang's list is not realistic. I saw only one selling for less than $2000 lately.

barsenault

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2014, 12:49:41 PM »
I know Clark Smith had a 1985 Great Wall for sale for a few months, but it was sold quite recently.  It does show up once in a while, but expect to pay $3000 to $5000 for it.  Even raw one won't be cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/China-1985-ANA-Convention-1-oz-silver-Proof-Medal-GREAT-WALL-original-holder-/351002292514?nma=true&si=kiOCSkgX8rQNAXvabJ2ZVO%252F5hvU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This forum has many active discussions on the topic of medal.  You may want to use the search engine located on top right of each page to search for them.  Click the magnifier glass to refine your search.  Some notable discussions are 1984 great wall: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4488.0,   1984 pagoda (many threads), goldfish and many more.

Several forum members have special interest in medal such as RAREMEDAL, bonke and dealers like shibaji and sasushi.  These are just names from the top of my head, if I missed others please feel free to speak up.

An interesting first-hand account of coin melt from PeterPanda, the owner of PandaAmerica: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=2357.msg12130#msg12130
An article on jb008.cn about large scale melting of Chinese coins: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=18.msg15048#msg15048

PS, I thought you already have a 1985 great wall?

Wow!  Great info.  Thanks for sharing all this detail.  Good stuff for sure.  I have some reading to do!  I do have 1 NGC68.  I'm looking for another. :-). Obviously was kidding about the few hundred dollar price - that would be a fake (IMHO).  But if someone has one they'd be willing to unload, I'm a buyer - depending on how much of course.

barsenault

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2014, 12:50:48 PM »
A few hundred dollars for a medal of 4.5 stars on Huang's list is not realistic. I saw only one selling for less than $2000 lately.

What is Huangs list?  Link?  Also, if you see one again, for under 2k, can you let me know, please. Thanks.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2014, 02:13:17 PM »
What is Huangs list?  Link?  Also, if you see one again, for under 2k, can you let me know, please. Thanks.
Here is the link to Huang's ranking of Chinese medals: http://modern-chinese-numismatic-info.blogspot.com/2012/11/huang-ruiyong-olive-is-one-of-pioneers.html

barsenault

Offline trozau

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2014, 05:31:07 PM »
Who is Huang and how did he come up with his ratings for MCC materials? Just curious.
trozau (troy ounce gold)
honi soit qui mal y pense

gold - the barbarous relic!

barsenault

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2014, 05:36:27 PM »
Who is Huang and how did he come up with his ratings for MCC materials? Just curious.

Hey, as a side note, I'll take your barbarous relic.  Since it is a relic, and gold, would you take free? hehehehe.

Offline trozau

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2014, 05:39:52 PM »
Hey, as a side note, I'll take your barbarous relic.  Since it is a relic, and gold, would you take free? hehehehe.
When Lord John Maynard Keynes attacked the gold standard, he called "gold" a "barbarous relic". Being a minion of scorn, I decided to use this harsh moniker for gold as my gold collection name.
trozau (troy ounce gold)

barsenault

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2014, 05:42:47 PM »
When Lord John Maynard Keynes attacked the gold standard, he called "gold" a "barbarous relic". Being a minion of scorn, I decided to use this harsh moniker for gold as my gold collection name.

LOL.  I figured as much, but hey, doesn't hurt asking for free, right. LOL.  By the way, if you navigate on Huangs site (right side, start from the bottom), you'll find out who he is...he seems to be very astute in matters related to MCC.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »
Huang is one of the high priests in MCC. He worked for Oracle before turning to MCC. He studied and wrote extensively on MCC, including some of the lectures I translated on my blog.

barsenault

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2014, 08:20:37 AM »
Huang is one of the high priests in MCC. He worked for Oracle before turning to MCC. He studied and wrote extensively on MCC, including some of the lectures I translated on my blog.

I went thru his blog last night!  Wow.  For being a 'newbie' he's one knowledgeable guy in the china coin/medal market.  Thanks for sharing the info!

Offline trozau

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2014, 08:38:54 AM »
I went thru his blog last night!  Wow.  For being a 'newbie' he's one knowledgeable guy in the china coin/medal market.  Thanks for sharing the info!

So which medals and coins in your collection are on Huang's Star Ranking List?
trozau (troy ounce gold)

barsenault

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2014, 08:47:54 AM »
So which medals and coins in your collection are on Huang's Star Ranking List?

I'd like to say a 'ton', but unfortunately the only one I have is the 1985 ANA Great Wall.