Author Topic: MODERN CHINESE MEDALS - Is this market in collapse?  (Read 35695 times)

Offline cloudtoground

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: MODERN CHINESE MEDALS - Is this market in collapse?
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2015, 08:44:56 PM »
Each person has his favorite, but for me, holding solid gold in my hAnd is infinitely more pleasurable than a piece of paper :)

Birdman

the designs on banknote are really quite nice.  I actually like Stocks much better and that's where the majority of the money is at.  2000-2009 was the market for precious metals and coins, but 2009-2019 is the market for stocks.  Even with a pull back everynow and then.  To each their own.  Good luck.

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2015, 12:36:57 AM »

I am so glad so glad I didn't put much money into the Chinese silver and gold coin market.  After some successes back in 2009 with some Chinese coins I bought a few more in 2012.  I lost some but I was looking at some of the prices and wow, what a collapse.  Really silver and gold coins across the board.  On top of that you have to worry about the black and white spots that seem to plague Chinese coins or world coins in general.  I buy a couple coins a year now.  I just bought my first coin of this year.  But since the prices have collapse I might buy a few more, but I still won't buy more than a few a year.  I think I will stick to banknotes since they don't have the hype nor the metal fluctuations nor the condition problems that coins do.

I wish I had invested more. Many of my recent purchases of MCC were done when the Canadian dollar bought $1.05-$1.1 US. Now its 80-85 cents. I guess thats why my MCC portfolio is at an all time high in value. I didn't plan it exactly like that but I wanted to spend Canadian dollars when they were strong.

Stock market holdings are way too easy for the governments to tax and seize for my peace of mind. For example, the US told all the countries in the world that unless all Americans resident in their country file tax returns, the US will withhold cash flows to that country. (FATCA).

Its not so easy to do that with MCC.

andrewlee10

« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2015, 01:10:00 AM »
Each person has his favorite, but for me, holding solid gold in my hAnd is infinitely more pleasurable than a piece of paper :)

Birdman

China coin price gap between dealers are big even selling or buying at same period of time. The price can up few hundred % or not even 1%.

It depends on the timing you buy and who u buy from.

I did pay a lot of tuition fee at initial stage and slowly I become better. This my experience as collector then turn to freelance seller.

The situation make complicated as when the online platform for MCC started. It is another round of cycle now.

It is kind of gamble table for certain MCC/medal.

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2015, 01:43:02 PM »
I have to assume that the Modern Chinese Medal market is not so different than the coin market in the respect that both markets have cycles of higher and lower sentiment driving prices in general higher and lower. And of course, just like within the coin market, within the medals market you will have exceptions to the rule; medals that perform strongly while most of the others don't and visa-versa.

My perspective is this: if we are in a depressed market where prices are low, then it's actually the best time to buy.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2015, 05:28:26 PM »
I have to assume that the Modern Chinese Medal market is not so different than the coin market in the respect that both markets have cycles of higher and lower sentiment driving prices in general higher and lower. And of course, just like within the coin market, within the medals market you will have exceptions to the rule; medals that perform strongly while most of the others don't and visa-versa.

My perspective is this: if we are in a depressed market where prices are low, then it's actually the best time to buy.

Hello mmissinglink, Nice to hear from you here! Please stay engaged.

Your sentiments are correct. It is a cyclical/seasonal market. However, bargains pop up once in a while and should be snapped up then. Down markets put pressure on sellers to price their items more tightly/affordably.

I don't know if the silver bullion price has bottomed out but some mints are beginning to ration their output due to increased demand. It is possible that bullion prices are creeping back up!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2015, 03:14:37 PM »
I will always have a great fondness for Chinese medals...nothing will change that.

I constantly look for good deals...thank goodness there is more than one place that I can look. That said though, there's not many of the medals I am seeking offered for sale anywhere I look. So people are holding tightly onto certain of their Chinese medals to a significant extent it seems.

If Chinese medals are in a state of depressed value, then it is a good time to buy (but if no one is selling the one's you want...tough luck) and also it is more likely than not that the values will go up from here. I am optimistic of the Chinese medals market.