Author Topic: 'The Scream' Fetches Record $120 Million at Auction  (Read 8945 times)

Offline exchange

• Trade Count: (0)
'The Scream' Fetches Record $120 Million at Auction
« on: May 02, 2012, 08:38:07 PM »
Money well spent "IF" you have billions of dollars.

One of the art world's most recognizable images — Edvard Munch's "The Scream" — sold for a record $119,922,500 at auction in New York City.
The 1895 artwork — a modern symbol of human anxiety — was sold at Sotheby's Wednesday evening. The price includes the buyer's premium.
The image of a man holding his head and screaming under a streaked, blood-red sky is one of four versions by the Norwegian expressionist painter. The auctioned piece at Sotheby's is the only one left in private hands.

The previous record for an artwork sold at auction was $106.5 million for Picasso's "Nude, Green Leaves, and Bust," sold by Christie's in 2010.
Proceeds from Wednesday's sale will go toward the establishment of a new museum, art center and hotel in Norway.
The image has become part of pop culture, "used by everyone from Warhol to Hollywood to cartoons to teacups and T-shirts," said Michael Frahm of the London-based art advisory service firm Frahm.

"Together with the Mona Lisa, it's the most famous and recognized image in art history," he added.
Sotheby's said its pastel-on-board version of "The Scream" is the most colorful and vibrant of the four and the only version whose frame was hand-painted by the artist to include his poem, detailing the work's inspiration.

In the poem, Munch described himself "shivering with anxiety" and said he felt "the great scream in nature."
The director of the National Museum in Oslo, Audun Eckhoff, says Norwegian authorities approved the Munch sale since the other versions of the composition are in Norwegian museums. One version is owned by the National Museum and two others by the Munch Museum, also in Oslo.

Sotheby's said a total of eight works have sold for $80 million or more at auction.
Only two other works besides Picasso's "Nude, Green Leaves, and Bust" have sold for more than $100 million at auction. Those are Picasso's "Boy With a Pipe (The Young Apprentice)" for $104.1 million in 2004 and Alberto Giacometti's "Walking Man I" for $104.3 million in 2010.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47271718

exchange

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Re: 'The Scream' Fetches Record $120 Million at Auction
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 08:43:22 PM »
Qatar Purchases Cézanne’s The Card Players for More Than $250 Million, Highest Price Ever for a Work of Art!

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/02/qatar-buys-cezanne-card-players-201202

Offline exchange

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 12:36:41 PM »
While we are on the subject of art, maybe one day I may afford an Action Comics #1 which sold on ebay for $120,000. I am a big Superman fan. and yes I would buy a graded comic....  :001_smile:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item519d21b6ac&item=350528583340&nma=true&pt=US_Comic_Books&rt=nc&si=ltZgBxDrKyRjQAqKOzhUeJA9KYM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

exchange
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:48:48 PM by exchange »

tamo42

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 02:10:08 PM »
While we are on the subject of art, maybe one day I may afford an Action Comics #1 which sold on ebay for $120,000. I am a big Superman fan. and yes I would buy a graded comic....  :001_smile:

exchange

My world just turned upside down!

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 02:17:57 PM »
If all of these 0000's don't demonstrate inflation, I don't what does!

Offline exchange

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »

Here's another comic book which sold on ebay for $116,000.
Detective Comics #27, first appearance of Batman.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item519d8be436&item=350535541814&nma=true&pt=US_Comic_Books&rt=nc&si=ltZgBxDrKyRjQAqKOzhUeJA9KYM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

exchange

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 04:02:26 PM »
The art and comic book prices are coming to precious metal coins as buyers come to the conclusion it is better to own precious metals then paper comics or paper/paint art works.  The Chinese coin market has barely ticked up in price as we look at prices in other markets.  Too much paper currency and it has got to flood somewhere.  PM coins will go nuts.........

Offline exchange

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:15:02 PM »
Its amazing the staggering amounts of money been spent on individual paintings.

Top Wall Street Art Collectors.

CEO, Apollo Global Management
After paying $47.6 million for a chalk drawing by Raphael three years ago, Black made more art-world news last year when he and his wife donated $48 million to Dartmouth College in New Hampshire to fund the Black Family Visual Arts Center.

Henry Kravis - Co-founder, KKR
Though his wife, Marie-Josee Kravis, is president of the Museum of Modern Art in New York, Kravis doesn’t play favorites. A donation of $10 million to the Metropolitan Museum of Art uptown paid for a wing in his name. Art gives back, of course: In 2008, Kravis sold Edgar Degas’ "Danseuse au Repos” for $37 million at Sotheby’s, turning a $9 million profit in less than 10 years.

Steven A. Cohen - CEO, SAC Capital
Cohen has spent $500 million to $700 million at art auctions, or an estimated 20 percent of his total fortune. Owner of another Munch painting, “Madonna,” he also likes midcentury Expressionists and Pop Art, spending more than $65 million on a Willem DeKooning and $35 million on Andy Warhol's painting "Large Coca-Cola."

Ronald S. Lauder - Chairman, Estee Lauder
Lauder has been devoted to Middle European art since buying a drawing a work by Austrian expressionist Egon Schiele with his bar mitzvah money. In 2006, Lauder paid a record $135 million for Gustav Klimt’s portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer, the highest sum paid for a painting sold at auction at that time. The portrait is in the Neue Galerie of NYC, which Lauder founded

Kenneth Griffin - Founder & CEO, Citadel
His purchase of Jasper Johns’ “False Start” for $86 million in 2006 set a new record for the work of a living artist. Even so, Griffin and his wife, Anne Dias-Griffin, also a hedge fund manager, had enough money left over to donate $19 million to the Art Institute of Chicago.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47263715?slide=2

exchange

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 07:26:39 PM »

Cover price 10 Cents....
(Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27)
  :laugh:

Offline MrOrganic

• WORLDCOLLECTIBLES310
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 11:36:52 AM »
The art and comic book prices are coming to precious metal coins as buyers come to the conclusion it is better to own precious metals then paper comics or paper/paint art works.  The Chinese coin market has barely ticked up in price as we look at prices in other markets.  Too much paper currency and it has got to flood somewhere.  PM coins will go nuts.........

I wish we were on the same level "cache" as the art world!
EMERGING MARKET GROUP  
195 south BEVERLY Dr. BEVERLY HILLS

Long Beach Expo
..Table #838

DECEMBER: Macau/H.K.

JANUARY: N.Y.

AUGUST: Hong Kong

GO TO my Ebay Click: http://stores.ebay.com/worldcollectibles310

EMERGING MARKET GROUP

PCGS,NGC & PMG Auth. Dealer
美国收藏家 – 收藏中国现代金银

EMGWORLDEWIDE@GMAIL.COM
WECHAT: LAMBORGHINICA

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 09:39:22 PM »
Stupid money will come into the PM coin market.  The wind up is beginning but not the pitch, yet.  Incredibly stupid money is sloshing around in the artsy fartsy community.  Would you pay $120 million for a painting of some guy so flipped out he is probably wetting his pants?  Heck no!  But gorgeous Chinese coins made of precious metals looks inviting.  Heavens yes! Too much world wide paper money for few rare artworks and at some point, MCC.  While the rest of the world is down and out the Chinese coin market is a bright spot.  (war w/ Iran could derail it for awhile!)  Our future is so bright, we gotta wear shades...........

Offline exchange

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »
Would you pay $120 million for a painting of some guy so flipped out he is probably wetting his pants?  

I would if I had billions of dollars. I personally don't care for this painting, for that matter its not even a painting but pastel colors. I would have no problem paying even $500M for the Mona Lisa, probably the most recognizable painting to have ever been painted by a human hand, and that would be worth the $500M plus.
MCC is what most of us can afford. I am sure those who cannot afford MCC have the same feeling of stupid money going into overpriced coins.

exchange

Offline exchange

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 09:06:30 PM »

Here may be another example. I also collect Japanese (made in Japan) die cast robots. I have a very nice collection of 1970's to present die cast shogun robots. In September of 2010, I purchased a brand new Danguard die cast shogun robot for $150. (don't know how many were made)
Look what they are selling for today:

sold for $550.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamato-Danguard-A-Ace-GN-U-Planetry-Robot-Figure-Popy-Rare-Sale-Free-Shipping-/130640479933?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6ac786bd#ht_1260wt_933

sold for $500.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamato-Danguard-A-Ace-GN-U-Planetry-Robot-Figure-Popy-Rare-Free-Shipping-Sale-/130646962036?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6b2a6f74#ht_1278wt_933

sold for $480 + $60 shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMATO-THE-GN-U-Planetry-Robot-Danguard-A-Ace-Limited-Metallic-Ver-NEW-RARE-AAA-/300680444122?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4601f378da

exchange
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:21:28 PM by exchange »

Offline exchange

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 01:37:48 PM »

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »
Mind boggling how much money is sloshing around and into items that I do not want.  Why not buy those rare Chinese 10 kilo gold instead of a watch?  All it will take is a small percentage of investment funds to come into MCC to make a huge change.  Lets take a closer look:  Lots of cash in the investment community looking for a home.  China's RMB/Yuan accepted into world and US banks and will increase China's buying power.  The upcoming MCC coin shortage in the US has been accurately predicted by many knowledgable members/sellers/investors.  Low mintage of MCC.  China wants their precious coins back home.......Hmmmmmmmm........Prices must be really cheap about now.  Should one contact news outlets about the future of MCC?  That maybe all it takes to change this market, just get the word out.  What was CNBC's email?...............