Author Topic: Russian banknote with chinese overprint  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Pavel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
Russian banknote with chinese overprint
« on: April 29, 2012, 02:54:00 AM »
Below the russian imperial banknote with chinese overprint. I get this in Vladivostok. Look like it was printed during the Civil war in Russia around 1920 but was used in China. Russian banknotes probably originated from Russian :confused1:-Asian Bank (?). Please, is somebody know anything about this banknote I'll be very appreciated for information!

Offline dragondollar

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Dragon Dollar & Chinese Coins
Re: Russian banknote with chinese overprint
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 08:12:50 AM »
What makes you think this was printed in 1920? It's got a portrait of Alexander III, which would date it to the end of the XIXth century.

The stamp says, in Chinese: top: ***银行(天?) left: (天?)潘陽造幣廠 (Shenyang mint (Panyang is another name for Shenyang)) center: 富伍圆/伍大洋 (5 yuan/5 mexican dollars) right: 民國玖年制 (9th year of the republic of china 1918) bottom: 中華軍政府之付票 (military note)

This means the note was valued at 5 yuan face value (original is 25 rubles).

Offline dragondollar

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 08:36:20 AM »
Actually seems like the top characters at the top are 春天 (spring), so you can remove the weird (天?) from my transcription. Also, 9th year is 1920...

Offline Pavel

• New
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 10:43:26 AM »
Thank you for help! It is more clear now.  Regarding the year of printing I mean the year of printing of overprint not banknote itself.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 11:05:05 AM »
Actually seems like the top characters at the top are 春天 (spring), so you can remove the weird (天?) from my transcription. Also, 9th year is 1920...

The top left corner is 天 and the right corner is 奉. 奉天 was province in Nothern China in later 1800 and earlier 1900, but usually referred to as Shenyang.

Offline dragondollar

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 11:10:04 AM »
Ah, indeed poconopenn, 奉天 makes more sense. Also I made a mistake for 潘陽, it is not 潘 but 審, traditional writing for 沈... If you lookup 潘陽 on google, you actually find the japanese wikipedia page about 沈阳, so google handles weird typo in chinese quite correctly! Anyway, I should avoid commenting when sleepy :)

Can you read the name of the bank? I squinted at the picture to no avail. Maybe Pavel can upload a bigger picture.

Offline Pavel

• New
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 11:29:42 AM »
Trying to make bigger  :thumbup:

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 12:08:29 AM »
The bank name in the top center of the overprint is 俄華银行 (Russian-Chinese Bank). This bank was registered by an Russian businessman in 1896 at Beijing. The note is for 5 silver dollars and approved by Chinese Military Government (bottom 8 Chinese characters).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:15:55 AM by poconopenn »

Offline chinnotes

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 02:54:18 PM »
I am sorry, but this is a well known phantasy (fake) "overprint", produced to make some money from colelctors.
Erwin