Author Topic: Other chinese wonders  (Read 2742 times)

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Other chinese wonders
« on: April 27, 2012, 09:27:40 PM »
I am farming a community that had Chinese laborers about 100 yrs ago.  The Chinese coins are plentiful from what I am told. Have not purchased them yet but plan to.  May start w/ 100 of them and hear rumor there are boxes of them.  Coins of laborers are probably the cheapies.  However they are very old.  Will post photos when I buy them.  Seems to be Chinese collectors of most everything.  So I purchased two pipes (jade?) and a box from Japan.  Also a seller contacted me to sell his 250 lb jade horse for the $6k to $7,000 range.  Have had some interest on them.  Let me know if they are genuine and of any value.  Hopefully this will work out.  This will lead to more MCC.........

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
Re: Other chinese wonders
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:41:48 PM »
Wow, very cool items! Thanks for sharing.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 09:42:45 PM »
I would proceed very cautiously.  It is hard for me to imagine the common Chinese laborers had anything sophiscated like that.  Definitely not 250# jade horse.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:29:39 PM »
Oops, the horse I do not know the date on and it is probably recent.  Where do you find 250 lbs of jade?  I think the pipes are old and anxious to get my hands on the old coins.  The Chinese are so talented w/ detail.  The coin designs and now other items is just great stuff.  Got another new MCC collector on board too.  He is unloading all of his projects and valuable stuff to buy MCC!  At some point I expect many more friends to join in the Chinese coin rush................

Offline dragondollar

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Dragon Dollar & Chinese Coins
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 05:14:43 AM »
Like SANDAC I think you should be very careful. Chinese families are very conservative with their belongings and definitely know their real market value. If they offer you bargain prices, don't buy, it is most likely fake. You get what you pay for...

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 07:12:59 AM »
Yes, caution, caution. 

There are a variety of websites out there that offer advice on the authenticity of Chinese pieces.  For instance, I bought a Chinese porcelain vase at a local antique shop, Googled for a porcelain website, posted photos on http://www.chinese-antique-porcelain.com that night, learned it was a fake by morning, and then returned it for a refund less than 24 hrs after purchase (Interestingly, I drove by that antique shop the other day and saw the piece still sitting in the display window.  I wonder if the owner is still describing it as authentic?!)  From my research, some of the fake artifacts are extremely convincing, and even the experts have trouble telling them apart.  Learning that, I won't touch the porcelain and other artifacts.  I'm sure there are some Chinese millionaires who made their fortune by making and selling fakes to those hoping to find a valuable rarity.  (and that includes coins!)

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 09:28:08 AM »
I agree, caution is a must as I look at my fake Chinese coins.  The only item I own are the pipes and box.  The expensive jade horse belongs to a collector and I am trying to find a buyer.  This is a coin site and not a flea market.  My goal is to find some potential buyers on this site or point me the right direction.  I have no plans to buy anything but coins (or inexpensive pipes).  Looked at a half dozen old Chinese silver coins and they look real.  If we agree on price the owner agrees to return my $ if they are fake.  Will send photos of those too. Needed to pay one person to get the word out and it is out.  Any potential buyer can see the digital photos and if interested I can get them together.  Hopefully I will get a finders fee out of it.  If a rare Chinese item comes up and their is some excitment then I can buy it.  Other than that, I will stick w/ coins.  The potential for loss is always there, so is the potential for a big gain.   Again, I just need more contacts to sell some of this stuff if it is genuine and get the photos off the CCF.  Being a middleman means low risk.......nothing ventured nothing gained.......