Author Topic: Can NCS do an upgrade from Cameo to Ultra Cameo?  (Read 1711 times)

Offline sasushi

• Trade Count: (+13)
Can NCS do an upgrade from Cameo to Ultra Cameo?
« on: April 08, 2012, 07:20:08 AM »
Does it add more glance to the shiny part of a coin???

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Can NCS do an upgrade from Cameo to Ultra Cameo?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 04:01:22 PM »
Usually, no. If the coin is dirty or toned, it may make the frosting appear enough brighter that NGC will upgrade it to ultra cameo, but I don't think that is very common. If your coin isn't dirty or toned, you might have just as much luck by simply resubmitting the coin until you get an ultra cameo designation.

By the way, never send a coin in to NCS twice. Conservation should only happen once. More than that, and it will probably damage the coin.

Offline sasushi

• Trade Count: (+13)
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 11:52:25 PM »
Thanks a lot. Is it true that conserved coins always start with 3....... and other coins only graded with a 2....... What kind of coin starts in that case with a 4....?
By the way my coin is a not conserved 69 cameo silver lunar and since cameo/ ultra cameo expresses the difference between the matt and shiny party of a coin - I thougt it may work- anyway I will get it conserved ....

Offline noomahn1

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 12:04:16 AM »
The only way to know for absolute certain that a coin has been conserved by NCS is to have the invoice from NCS, whether the coin was sent in by you or received from seller.

That being said, it appears, through numerous accounts, that an NGC number that starts with a "3" has a good likelihood of having been sent to NCS and then on to NGC for grading, whether NCS actually did any "conservation" or not (NCS evaluates the coins to determine if conservation will be of value).

An NGC number beginning with a "2" has a significantly higher probability of having been sent directly to NGC without having been sent to NCS first.

An NGC number beginning with a "4" has a significantly higher probability of having been crossed over from another grading service, most likely PCGS.

Offline noomahn1

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 12:10:21 AM »
I have a few of the early year 15g silver lunars and given the challenge of acquiring them in a high (69) grade, it doesn't bother me one bit if they are cameo vs. ultra cameo.  I'll take the 69 grade.

Offline Pandagongzi

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 01:24:33 AM »
Cameo coins are very rare in MCC.  I probably just keep them due to their lower pop.