Author Topic: 'White Spots Of Death'....Myth Busted  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Glengary

• Trade Count: (+1)
'White Spots Of Death'....Myth Busted
« on: March 20, 2012, 11:45:46 PM »
I've read a lot of posts re:'White Spots Of Death'.... I would like for anyone to explain definitively, what they are.  We sent in several Silver Pandas that supposedly had these dreaded 'WSOD' on them.  We were told that even NCS could not remove them.  Well....not so much.  At least not anymore.  Every one of our coins with these spots either came back in 69's or 70's, sans the so-called 'WSOD'.  So, any input would be appreciated.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
Re: 'White Spots Of Death'....Myth Busted
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 12:16:07 AM »
Detailed before and after photos would be very much appreciated.  I've been taking detailed before/after pictures myself, but strangely the Historical Figures (probably because of the sterling silver) do not develop WSOD.

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 12:18:37 AM »
If you have high-quality images of the coins before they were sent in, it might be possible for me to determine whether they were really white spots of death.

Some residues produce a kind of toning that is white in color, but are not a white spots of death. Those can be removed by NCS. In addition, if the WSOD is very, very shallow in depth into the coin surface, NCS's toning removal process might remove some or all of the WSOD. That becomes possible if the corrosive residue that causes WSOD's was very diluted when it was deposited on the coin surface, such that it did not contain enough reactants to corrode deeply.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
Glengary, your profile says, "Last Active: June 06, 2012, 11:00:56 AM".
You start a topic to never return or respond?

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:49:09 AM »
You claim nothing to respond to since white spots are no longer an issue?  :001_rolleyes:
I think heyimderrick at SS would disagree.

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-27700-ncs-experiment.html

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 08:49:14 AM »
Why the white spots of death?  I see raw coins on ebay covered w/ white spots get bids.  Damaged coins also get decent prices during strong markets.  Not everyone avoids white spots.  How can we, when there so many coins w/ spots.  I think it is white spots of lower price.  When more buyers step up w/ fewer coins to buy then the white spotted coins will still be in demand as buyers would rather have a spotted real coin then not one at all.  White spots of lower price not death...........

Offline silver222

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 11:35:28 PM »
.....I've been taking detailed before/after pictures myself, but strangely the Historical Figures (probably because of the sterling silver) do not develop WSOD.

Given the unique aspect you have noticed with the HF's, do you bypass NCS for these coins and send them directly to NGC for grading (unless there is obvious toning or fingerprints?)

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 12:02:48 AM »
Historical Figures are not double sealed and I bought just about all of them raw, so most of them have toning or fingerprints or worse.  I sent every one of them to NCS.  I'm happy with the results.  I think someone else had said it before: fingerprints inside a slab would drive me crazy, too.

Offline Womanofvalor

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 01:43:28 PM »
I always thought the proper term was frost spots.
I never thought this was damaging to the coin, I was
told it was a natural effect coins have with age.