Author Topic: Fat Man Dollar - is this a fake?  (Read 5528 times)

Offline Tjadde

• Trade Count: (0)
Fat Man Dollar - is this a fake?
« on: February 28, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »
Hello

I've been looking at Krause for a friend - this one doesn't fit the description in that one - that doesn't mean anything though ;)

I have a few coins to post and I'm starting with posting this one - in hopes that this will be the right part of the forum and the place to get an answer.
If this needs to be moved - feel free to move it in case I posted in the wrong forum.

Thanks in advance

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Fat Man Dollar - is this a fake?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »
I have owned a few fatman coins. This one does not look "right." But, I am no authority on it. Kondi is the best authority on fatman coins.

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:56:37 AM »
Dear Tjadde,

I checked all of my coins. But non of my coins doen't look like yours. I have checked those 1920 issued by warlords. I do not have similar coin, but I don't think your coin is fake. I think this is some kind of private issued or warlord issued.
The part with stars looks very interesting and unusual. I didn't see fake YSK 1920 coin which looks like yours. I also see some tenuous lines on head, which look like hair. The 2 chinese characters "yi yuan" looks very crude but I think this is some warlord issue. This is very valuable coin and interesting one, but you can't grade it by NGC or PCGS. Those 2 grading places grade only Xinjiang, Gansu and Shandong varieties. The quantity of them is bigger than those which were issued privately or by some less powerful warlords on that time. That's beautiful coin and I don't think it is fake. What is the weight and diameter of your coin, may I know?

Best wishes,

KONDi
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline dragondollar

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Dragon Dollar & Chinese Coins
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:06:41 AM »
Like KONDi, I would say this is a warlord issue. It does not look like a fake coin at all. I have also a warlord issue of the same year, but with a different design. I have no idea where it was made.

Offline KONDi

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:17:33 AM »
I think those warlord issued YSK dollars are interesting. Most of collectors don't care about collecting them. I think that they have their hidden beauty and one day they can be worth a lot. Like Xinjiang variety of YSK dollar. Not many collectors in US know about this variety, and even less are collecting such of coins...it is a pity.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline Tjadde

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:21:53 PM »
Hello Kondi;

Thank you so much for this - I was thinking it was a warlord issue - since the second character was not found in the catalogue. From the top of my head, the weight is 26.4 and diameter is 39 mm on this coin.

Would that give any more insights to whom and an approximate value? - Am also going to post more coins that I would like more information on in another post.

Thank you so much again Kondi for your invaluable expertise!!

Offline Tjadde

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 01:36:03 PM »
DragonDollar;

Your coin is very nice :) You have any idea what the approximate value is on that one?

Offline dragondollar

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 02:40:39 AM »
Well, I actually got this one off eBay for $500 USD. So, that would be the price? The market for these things is too small currently to have any kind of agreed upon "fair value".

Offline Tjadde

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 02:41:45 PM »
Thanks DragonDollar :) I am looking into an approximate value for these coins for my friends insurance. When you know they must be worth some - one has no idea on how much - really it's in how much anyone is willing to pay for it, but this is a good indication what they are worth - or thereabout. Am now hoping someone can help me with my other post. I couldn't find two of those one in the book either - the way they look ...

Offline GDG's

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
This coin intrigues me. It is hard when on does not speak Mandarin to learn more on older Chinese coins. I've bought a few books in English but feel I know FAR too little to pay much for China Imperial Coins. I do have some but will wade in real slow until I have a better grasp. I think this is a problem many Americans who love the history and beauty of older Chinese coins face.

low

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 07:03:32 PM »
This problem also applies to people who read and understand Mandarin.

Offline dragondollar

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »
I agree with low. 20th century was a very troubled period in China, the coinage reforms were applied quite haphazardly, and as a result you get a lot of beautiful but undocumented coins. I don't think I will ever be able to know who did my fantasy dollar, where and when ( http://www.dragondollar.com/coins/chinese-fantasy-dollars/a-mysterious-chinese-coin/ ). This actually drew me to collect Chinese coins. I have always liked rarity and mystery.

Offline KONDi

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 05:39:31 AM »
Dear Tjadde,

I have a question. Did you buy thise Fat Man dollar 1920 together with those others coins which you posted in your second post here? If yes, then I doubt that is warlord issued. The color of this YSK dollar 1920 looks the same like those others 5 in your second post. If you bought this one together with those 5 then it is also forgery. I hope you can get full refund from a seller from who you bought it.

Best wishes,

KONDi
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline dragondollar

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 10:14:41 AM »
Ah well, if it comes from the same batch it is most likely fake indeed. It is still interesting, this is the first time I see this type.

Offline KONDi

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 10:28:17 AM »
Me too dragondollar. My friendly coin dealer here in Shanghai who has some warlord issued from 1914 and also few from 1920 also didn't see this type. He has like 2 or 3 warlord issued 1920 + your 4th warlord issued. There are more warlord issued YSK dollars from 1914.

I was confidence when first time I saw it that this is some kind of warlord issued, but I noticed that other Tjadde's coins has similar color and crude wear. Maybe Tjadde will let us know did he buy it from one seller. If so then this could be a fake one. Personally I do not like a color on the surface on this coin and the fact others has the same color and they are indeed fake coins.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com