Author Topic: New member with mysterious note.  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Texas John

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
New member with mysterious note.
« on: February 24, 2012, 07:59:23 AM »
Hello everyone. I acquired a group of Chinese notes, and I've been having a good time trying to identify them (a challenge indeed when one doesn't read Chinese). This one has me puzzled. It's in a style reminiscent of Ch'ing dynasty cash notes, but clearly from much later, during the Kuomintang era. It's two pieces, very fragile paper (amazing they stayed together) and has "$500*00" puncture-embossed at the top. I've found similar notes in the Krause catalogs, but nothing quite like it.

I'd appreciate any help identifying it.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
Re: New member with mysterious note.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:22:26 AM »
It is dated Oct 26 1933.  I don't collect paper money, but it looks like a personal check of 500 yuan to someone.  I do admire the calligraphy.  It is a dying art now, but during those days good calligraphy is the sign of an educated person and one practiced his writing very seriously.  Very collectible, just for the writing alone.

Offline Texas John

• New
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:44:10 AM »
Thanks! I agree, it is a thing of beauty.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 02:19:10 PM »
Based on the pictures, this is a cashier check for 500 "silver" dollars issued by Century Bank of China. China discontuined silver standard for its currency in 1935. All cashier check was in Yuan after 1935. I have never seen this type of cashier check before. IMO, this is a rare and genuine check since water mark is clearly shown in the backgroud in the pictures and 500 silver dollars was a lot money at that time.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
Yes, I see it now.  In the background in light blue is the words "silver certificate".  500 silver dollars is indeed a large amount of money.

Texas John, you are new here so you probably don't know that when poconopenn uses words like "rare and genuine", it is exactly that.  First, congratulation, and second, you should get it appraised and expertised.

Welcome to the forum.  You have an very auspicious beginning!

Offline Texas John

• New
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 05:16:38 PM »
Wow. Thanks to you both. It struck me as something different, but I didn't expect it to be such an unusual piece of Chinese financial history. What would have been done with it? It seems far too fragile to circulate, but it has so many markings it looks to have been transferred more than once. This is an image of the back of the second page. It looks like it has two of the same signature seal imprints, plus a wordy imprint at the bottom right and a very light unusually shaped imprint in the lower center.

Who would you recommend to evaluate and authenticate it?

Offline MoseMosley

• New
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 09:42:10 PM »
I don't collect paper money.

Offline CaRtOondoG

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 12:02:47 AM »
I would recommend you to authenticate it, if it results into a real banknote, congratulation :D