Author Topic: Cost of NCS conservation and NGS slab  (Read 2464 times)

Offline anaiman

• Trade Count: (0)
Cost of NCS conservation and NGS slab
« on: February 24, 2012, 03:01:34 AM »
Unless I totally misunderstood something here, the cost of NCS conservation and NGS slabbing is way beyond the means of many of us especially those of us who bought Chinese coins before the prices skyrocketed over the past few years.  Many coins and medals nowadays cost a few thousand dollars each.  With such current "fair market" prices, a single coin or medal could easily cost over $150 for conservation/slabbing.  :crying:
I look at all those coins on eBay and wonder how in the world could the sellers factor in the cost of conservation/slabbing in their prices and still compete with non-conserved/unslabbed ones.  :confused1:

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
Re: Cost of NCS conservation and NGS slab
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:23:39 AM »
For modern US or foreign coin 1970 to date, valued $3000 or less, the NCS/NGC fee is $26.50 per coin.  There is a minimum of 5 coins plus $8 handling fee per submission.  Of course you have to pay insurance and postage both ways.  Still, that's not quite $150 per coin.

Offline anaiman

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:47:40 AM »
Aye, I was thinking of those above $3000.  There is a lot of coins and medals that cost very little before the upsurge of prices that are now over $3000 on eBay.

Offline moosician

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 02:34:14 AM »
Im not sure if anyone experienced the recent price hike of NCS+NGC?
Though its still on their wen site but they no longer charge $26.50 for modern world coins under $300 for both services.
Instead its $16 for grading and $20 for NCS.  :(

Year of the Dog

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 02:53:40 AM »
I experienced it last week. OUCH!!!!!! :cursing: >:( :thumbdown:

Your left wondering on every submission.  How do I even value these coins?  Here is what I mean.  If I submit a 1oz 2000 Gold Panda whats it worth in OMP? What is it worth Graded MS67-MS70?  What is the bullion value?  Which value do I use.

Oh yeah My last 3 submissions were disappointing to say the least.  I have been reading that other forum members have been noticing tougher grading.  My recent grades were almost laughable some coins are actually worth far less graded now then they were in OMP.  I have always been a HUGE NCS/NGC supporter.  Now I feel like I'm risking the numismatic value of my coins sending them in to NGC.  I won't stop though but still with the price increase and tougher standards I strongly recommend screening your coins prior to submission.  The days of sending everything in and being shocked if you get a 67 are over. 

Just my 2 cents.

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:55:55 AM »
Im not sure if anyone experienced the recent price hike of NCS+NGC?
Though its still on their wen site but they no longer charge $26.50 for modern world coins under $300 for both services.
Instead its $16 for grading and $20 for NCS.  :(

If the value of the coin is $300 or less you can still get it conserved / graded for $26.50.  The question is, if you put the coins value at $300 or less and NGC determines the coins value is much higher will they in turn charge you the actual conservation fee of 5% of the value + 16.50 for grading.  In your case it seems either you put the value of the coin at $400 or NGC valued it at $400 on their own and charged you $400 x 5% or $20.00 for conservation plus the $16.50 for grading.

I don't know the answer to whether NGC will adjust the "value" of the coin on their own and charge you a higher fee if they feel the value you placed on the submission sheet didn't represent the true "value" of the coin.

Offline moosician

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 09:24:49 AM »
Year of the Dog: Yeah, i totally understand what you mean, ive got one coin imo is a 69 but instead a 66 and ive sent it back for regrade. As i submit my coins through an agent/dealer ive to add handling cost, insurance and tax which comes to about $50 to NCS and grade a world coin under $300...yikes!

Obsidian: I put the coin value at much lesser than $300 each, those are Silver Historical figures,invention discoveries, pandas and the like...