Author Topic: coins developing rust 2 weeks after conservation  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Gilmore

• Trade Count: (+6)
coins developing rust 2 weeks after conservation
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:40:43 AM »
I received my last submission to NCS + NGC less than 3 weeks ago and 4 silver medals have started developing rust spots, mostly on the proof surfaces :cursing:
These are black/dark-gray spots with little brownish areas inside them. On one of the medals the rim is growing many tiny black spots. These 4 medals had very light toning before they were conserved so I think that the process of toning removal is the cause. The other coins from the same submission are all fine (none of them had toning before the submission).

Does NCS have any guarantee for such case? Will re-conservation help or do you think that the surface was probably damaged and therefore this rusting will show up again later on?

Offline Gilmore

• Trade Count: (+6)
Re: coins developing rust 2 weeks after conservation
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 03:38:28 AM »
Had the 4 medals sent back to NGC for appearance review. All were re-conserved and graded with no cost. Now they are all clean and shinny.

The problem now is the labels of all 4 medals were mixed with each other. :confused1:  Not even one medal has a matching label. This week they will do their way to NGC once again, it is the third time Since January when they were conserved for the first time. Ever since I bought them they are never home, always traveling to America and back :-)

NGC promised to cover the shipping cost, but honestly I am getting tired...

Offline Pandagongzi

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: coins developing rust 2 weeks after conservation
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 01:29:21 AM »
I have few bimetals and silver coins bought from dealers last year.  Now they all have some dark/red spots.  Their invoice# starting with 3.  Will NGC/NCS conserve them for free if I send them for appearance review?  If so,  how do I ask?