Author Topic: NGC Variety Attribution submission question...  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
NGC Variety Attribution submission question...
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:25:46 PM »
I'm working on a submission tonight and want to finish it before bed, and realized I don't know about the Variety Attribution designation.  Is that $12 fee just a labeling service, whereby NGC expects me to tell them the variety of the coin and they add it to the label?  OR is it an actual determination service, where they research it and determine small date vs. large date and I shouldn't put my own determination in the notes box?   I just don't know if they want me to tell them what I think it is, or no.

Aside from that, I may only use it for a couple of the coins.  I've seen variety labeling errors here and there on other NGC graded coins, and I don't know that it's worth the money on every Panda coin I might submit.  I'm sort of on the fence about it, but I know that certain coins benefit from it (like the '98 and '96 golds, just for example). 
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline KonaJim

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: NGC Variety Attribution submission question...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 10:50:13 PM »
If you pay the $ 12.00 they will determine the variety.  I would put your best guess on the form, and they should correct it if you are wrong.

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:06:10 AM »
Thanks Jim, that's what I needed to know!

Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »
Question to all of you who do a lot of submissions...(still on the fence here)....do you find that the variety attribution is worth the cost, either in terms of reduced buyer anxiety upon resale, or even high resale price?   I can understand that for certain years, like 1993 gold, differentiation between LG & SM dates is difficult and having this on a label is helpful.  But with other years that are so easy to differentiate, like '98, '91, '90, has experience shown you that there's a payback for the extra labeling?  Or is it simply for your own collecting benefit that you might choose the Variety Attribution?

(and yes I did search the forums to see if this question had come up previously, to avoid clogging the board, but couldn't find any previous discussion around this question)
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline GDG's

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 02:49:28 PM »
Honus,

Good question. I guess it is up to the individual but I would say it is worth it. When I was collecting Gold Panda's I wanted all 69's and all Large Dates and Small Dates. I did this BUT have yet to send the coins not labeled back to pcgs to have  them labeled appropriately. I will certainly do it. A buyer may not bid on your coin if you ever intend on selling unless it is noted. Just my opinion. I like to have it clear exactly what kind of coin I have. Also, is it a variety attribution when the s.d.'s and l.d.s were minted at different mints? Fun to collect CMC's as it is ever evolving.