Author Topic: NGC Quality Control?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Pandagongzi

• Trade Count: (+1)
NGC Quality Control?
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:41:41 AM »
Just got 2009 1/10oz back from NGC.  How did it pass quality control?  Did it happen to your submissions?  Should I ask NGC to fix it?  Or keep it in "NGC error holder" collection?

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
Re: NGC Quality Control?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:04:17 PM »
It is probably meaningless as an "error holder."
Look at the image online and see if it was holdered this way. I am guessing it wasn't and that it wriggled loose in shipping.

Try this first:
Take a towel and put it on a hard flat surface like a table or countertop.
Rap the slab flat on the towel swiftly. If this doesn't re-set the coin, then wait till NGC comes to a show near you and have them fix it for free. With a coin that modern and small it probably isn't worth the shipping to have them fix it by itself.

PH

Offline Pandagongzi

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:42:09 PM »
I checked the image online.  It was held that way.  That was why I questioned their quality control.  And thanks for the trick to fix it.  Tried, didn't work.  I had used same trick to fix couple of NGC coins before.  It didn't work this time.  Did you have same problem before?

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:45:48 PM »
Never with a new-style holdered panda.
Older holders had some similar problems.
If the image online shows it QCed that way then I'd say call customer support and let then know.
They should fix it for free.

Offline Pandaguy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 02:36:38 PM »
Unfortunately, NGC "quality control" leaves ALOT to be desired.  :thumbdown: We have heard of coins being returned with scratches, bumps, etc. that were not there when sent. (Good luck with a claim even with pre-submission photos.)Also, lint, hair, plastic particles, etc. inside holders. The list goes on and on. They charge a high premium for their service and we receive shoddy work. They work on volume, and quality control is sacrificed. We need some collectors who live near their facility in FL to be in their face and personally apply pressure by meeting with the execs. at NGC for the purpose of discussing our dissatisfactions with their services in so many different facets. That's my 2-cents!

Offline moosician

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 12:27:32 PM »
 :scared: :scared:
 :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Offline Pandagongzi

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 02:10:41 AM »
Contacted NGC, they asked to send it in with next batch and they will fix it for free.