Author Topic: Year of the snake bimetal coin. Help with Identification  (Read 2265 times)

Offline slvrsd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
Year of the snake bimetal coin. Help with Identification
« on: December 31, 2011, 05:47:18 PM »
Hi Can anybody please give me any info on this coin I can find what mint made this and what this coin is called and info on this coin would be great.
There is a 1/10 oz of gold and 1/14 oz silver. I have the box and card that came with this coin. The only word I can make out is Shanghai Zao Bi Change.
Thanks for any help!!!

Offline slvrsd

• New
Re: Year of the snake bimetal coin. Help with Identification
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 05:51:43 PM »
Here are a few photos of some of the info that came with the coin.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 06:43:50 PM »
It is a bimetal lunar coin with 1/10 oz pure gold and 1/14 oz pure silver, 27mm diameter.  It was made in the Shanghai Mint with a mintage of 10,000. 

Year of snake falls on 1989 and 2001, but I was not able to find that particular coin in the catalog.

Year of the Dog

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 08:53:27 PM »
My opinion might be almost worthless and I might be way off.  I really hope someone can show how wrong I am but.......
I don't believe this is a government issued medal or minted at any of the Chinese mints.  The coin it's self isn't anything I've seen and I have an extensive collection of Lunars.  I am not familiar with any Lunar Bimedals pre 2004 bimetals. 
The COA is highly suspicious That plastic credit card style COA is so very often found in fake silver and gold plated pandas.  Especially sets that include a 1/10 gold and a 1oz silver panda. Those sets often come with a fancy box as well. 
Also the logo next to the Mint info I've seen it before I think on eBay the seller sells a bunch of knockoffs. 
I hope I'm wrong and If I am I want one.

Offline slvrsd

• New
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 09:18:35 PM »
Thank you for the comments!!! There is a fancy box that the coin came with. It is nice red grain wood box.  I will try to post some pictures of it!! If any one can translate what the card read that would be most helpful. I have seen this design of coin on ebay all fake no precious metals. But this on is marked .999 1/10 Au and 1/14 AG and the other on ebay have no markings. This was found at the Fun show in Florida about 4 years ago. Thank again for any comments!!

Offline slvrsd

• New
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 09:35:56 PM »
I will have to post the picture of the box tomorrow. He is the full picture of the back side of the card.