Author Topic: Fat Man identification  (Read 4493 times)

Offline epstein

• Trade Count: (0)
Fat Man identification
« on: December 31, 2011, 01:21:42 AM »
Hi, Just check with you.

Is these coins genuine?
Any idea how much these coins value range?

YSK 20cts

YSK 10cts

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Re: Fat Man identification
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 02:41:17 AM »
Dear epstein :001_rolleyes:,

Your 10 cents Yuan Shih Kai 1914 is genuine coin. If I would be buying this coin I would pay the most 160 USD. Judging from a photo it is VF condition. This coin was issued in Tianjin Central Mint.

Your 20 cents Yuan Shih Kai 1914 is not genuine coin. It looks for me like silver-plated metal or white copper. If this would be genuine coin it would be Fujian variety. But it is not genuine coin.
First of all please take a look on my genuine piece of 20 cents Yuan Shih Kai 1914 Fujian variety (picture 1a and 1b). On the obverse 2nd chinese character which means "3" ("三") is bold. When you will take a look on picture 1a (obverse of my coin) you will see that 2nd chinese character is thiner than the same character on obverse on your 20 cents. I marked it in red circle. Another thing, on the obverse of your 20 cents---the part with stars, there should be 2 thin lines on left side and right side of stars. On right side I see some line/lines. However I don't see any line/lines on the left side of the stars. I marked it on your coin in red circle. Also on the obverse of your coin upstairs close to a rim, teeth become small, smaller and smaller like disappearing and then again little bigger. On genuine coin you will never find this. The rim also looks like double for me. On the reverse above 6 chinese character teeth are not in regular shape. Below 2 chinese characters "贰角" "2 chiao" which mean 20 cents the rim is also double and 2 teeth are missing, there should only 1 tooth missing. Counterfeiters try to be smart but thank God their fake coins are not perfect yet!

What's the value of 20 cents YSK 1914 Fujian variety? If your coin would be genuine then it would be worth 72 USD.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline KONDi

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 02:48:07 AM »
Your fake 20 cents YSK 1914 Fujian variety if it is low class fake silver-plated fake should stick to magnet if it is not stick to magnet then it is white copper fake. Please let us know the weight of your fake 20 cents YSK 1914 Fujian if it is not stick to magnet. I am wondering what's the weight of those fake white copper 20 cents. I know that white copper fatman dollars have around 26,3g, and silver-plated metal fatman dollars have from 19-22g. Please let us know when you will weight it.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline epstein

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 08:14:05 AM »
Dear Kondi,

Thank you very much for your explanation.
I am really newbie with this Chinese Numismatics   :biggrin:

I thought the forgeries only for Silver Dollar (not smaller value)  :cursing:

I buy both coins from same seller, at Ebay HKG.
This fake coin not affected with magnet,

*For the weight, I need to get digital scale (will update it, later)

Happy New Year 2012....  :001_smile:

Offline KONDi

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 08:46:29 AM »
Dear epstein,

You can always ask me about Republican old chinese silver coins. I have some knowledge which I would be happy to share with you and others about those coins. About Imperial old chinese silver coins you can ask dragondollar. He is a person with bigger knowledge than me about Imperial pieces.

This 20 cents YSK 1914 could also be silver-made fake, then the weight might be the same with genuine coin. If you don't mind I would like to have one more close look. Could you take close photos of obverse and reverse of this 20 cents YSK? or better scans with higher resolution? photos would be better. Also weight it. How much did you spend on those 2 pieces from HongKong seller?

BTW, on Buy, Sell and Trade I am selling every month old and modern chinese silver coins. So if you are looking for something you can simply take a look.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline epstein

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 09:20:25 AM »

I bought this coin for $ 17, the other coin $40
+ shipping both $7

I think this coin not made from silver,
The sounds like my other Cupro nickel coin (not high pitch)

Offline KONDi

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 09:34:12 AM »
Well, maybe this is new way how they do on ebay. Sell genuine coin with fake coin. So the buyer will assume that is one is genuine that the other also will be. Well at least you didn't lose totally. It is like you spent $57 for 10 cents YSK 1914 + $7 shipping and this fake 20 cents YSK 1914 Fujian you got for free. Well it could be cupro nickel. But I have seen silver-made fakes 20 and 10 cents. They can't handle to make silver-made 5 cents. Remember always be careful. And welcome to my shop. Let us know the weight of your coin when you will weight it. We can protect ourselves better from counterfeiters. Always feel free to ask me some questions about old chinese silver Republican coins. I will try my best to help you.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline epstein

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 10:12:20 AM »
Wow, thank's I will see your collection.....  :001_wub:

From the e bay, last time seller told the weight is 5.3gram.
I need digital scale to make sure it (will update later)

albertmorison

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 06:16:09 AM »
I don't know the value of these coins but these are genuine coins.

Offline KONDi

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 09:48:31 AM »
Dear albertmorison,

Only epstein's 10 cents Yuan Shih Kai 1914 Tianjin Central Mint variety is genuine piece.
20 cents YSK 1914 Fujian variety---is fake.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com