Author Topic: Trade 2000 Gold Panda Mirrored Set PCGS-NGC MS69  (Read 2252 times)

Offline KonaJim

• Trade Count: (0)
Trade 2000 Gold Panda Mirrored Set PCGS-NGC MS69
« on: December 26, 2011, 09:46:54 PM »
I would be interested in trading a 2000 Gold Mirrored Set for 20 ounces of slabbed gold.  I don't care what grades (within reason, 64 or higher), Pandas, Buffaloes, Eagles, Maple Leafs, or similar.

Set consists of-
100 yuan PCGS MS69
50 yuan NGC MS69
25 yuan PCGS MS69
10 yuan NGC 69
5 yuan NGC 69

Offline exchange

Re: Trade 2000 Gold Panda Mirrored Set PCGS-NGC MS69
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:02:55 PM »
I would be interested in trading a 2000 Gold Mirrored Set for 20 ounces of slabbed gold.  I don't care what grades (within reason, 64 or higher), Pandas, Buffaloes, Eagles, Maple Leafs, or similar.

Set consists of-
100 yuan PCGS MS69
50 yuan NGC MS69
25 yuan PCGS MS69
10 yuan NGC 69
5 yuan NGC 69

IMO, one is better off with 20 ounces of gold than a gold panda mirror set that totals less than two ounces gold. A mirror set has a greater chance of been worth 10 ounces of gold as oppose to gold going to $800 an ounce. The upside potential for the mirror set is limited compare to gold bullion. Just my two cents.

exchange
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 10:15:39 PM by exchange »

Offline KonaJim

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 10:38:57 PM »
Gold content is a stupid and ridiculous way of evaluating rare coins.  If it had any merit copper and silver coins would be worthless.  I would say the chances of 20 ounces of gold doubling from $ 32,000.00 is about the same as the mirrored set going from a value of $ 32,000.00 to $ 64,000.00.  That is just my two cents.

Offline exchange

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 11:05:49 PM »
Gold content is a stupid and ridiculous way of evaluating rare coins.  If it had any merit copper and silver coins would be worthless.  I would say the chances of 20 ounces of gold doubling from $ 32,000.00 is about the same as the mirrored set going from a value of $ 32,000.00 to $ 64,000.00.  That is just my two cents.

Fair points, however, to me the risk of putting down $32,000 for "so called rare coins" in an immature market is a lot more riskier than $32,000 worth of gold bullion. On the other side the upside potential may be greater.

Yes I agree gold content is irrelevant for evaluating rare coins, the problem is rare seems to be used quite often. These may indeed be rare until someone like Xu floods the market with them.

exchange

Offline GDG's

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 04:43:21 AM »
>>>Yes I agree gold content is irrelevant for evaluating rare coins, the problem is rare seems to be used quite often. These may indeed be rare until someone like Xu floods the market with them.<<<

exchange

Neither Xu nor any other dealer decides "rare". Mintage numbers are the major factor in determining rarity. If there are mintage numbers of 5k it would be considered rare, 500 rarer.  Price would be determined by the demand for that particular coin. Since mintage #'s are quite often the most important factor in determining demand it becomes the most important factor in price. This is not a hard and fast rule. Often times other coins may be in higher demand and even with great mintage numbers  may bring higher prices. The collector decides what price they will pay for a particular coin thus moving the market in certain directions.  I've seen plenty of 2000 Mirror sets (own one myself in 69) but rarely see 2001 D sets in 69. Which is the better value? How many 2001 D's are hidden away in China? What about 82 Panda sets? Cultural? Lunar? All decided by the collector not the dealers.

GDG

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 05:02:10 AM »
Why must people hijack other peoples Buy, Sell & Trade threads.  Post your opinions elsewhere, especially when it is counter to the Sellers objectives.  There are other places on the forum more appropriate for such discussions.

Offline GDG's

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 05:21:01 AM »
My post was re: the linguistic context of exchange's post. Why must YOU be so antagonistic so early in the morning? Oh perhaps you haven't been to bed yet!

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 05:27:18 AM »
My post was re: the linguistic context of exchange's post. Why must YOU be so antagonistic so early in the morning? Oh perhaps you haven't been to bed yet!

My comment wasn't really directed at you...

I wasn't trying to be antagonistic it just gets tiring when I see people post in someones FOR SALE / FOR TRADE thread how they think such and such is not a good deal or such and such is better, etc.  Wouldn't you agree that is somewhat inappropriate?  Now I certainly don't want this discussion further hijacking the thread so I'll stop there.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 05:37:37 AM by Obsidian »

Offline GDG's

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 05:43:32 AM »
Gotcha.
Plus KonaJim is the Best.

Offline exchange

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 07:24:43 AM »
Why must people hijack other peoples Buy, Sell & Trade threads.  Post your opinions elsewhere, especially when it is counter to the Sellers objectives.  There are other places on the forum more appropriate for such discussions.

I am not in the habit of "hijacking" buy, sell and trade threads. I apologies for the hard feelings caused.

From a buyers perspective, I wished there would off been a counter point to a trade proposed to me by a seller a long time ago in the late 1980's. Not a single person had opposed to that trade, now I know why. That trade costed me 8 years of collecting, not to mention the monetary loss.

I am not suggesting in any way KonaJim's trade would endup in a similar way but when doing a significant monetary trade, one must think of all consequences, something I wish was taught to me when I was a teenager.

My apologies to KonaJim, did not mean to be rude.

exchange

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 10:50:23 AM »

Mintage numbers are the major factor in determining rarity.

I respectfully disagree with this; population is the primary factor for determining rarity. In some situations population and mintage are so similar that they can be used interchangeably, in others not.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

Offline GDG's

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »
Yes Peter you're absolutely correct. Mintage is not synonymous with population. There have been many coins melted down as there have been with American coins also. I sometimes overlook this with CMC even though many, coins were melted down especially in the 90's.