Author Topic: Opinions on 1989 1oz Gold Panda in OMP  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
Opinions on 1989 1oz Gold Panda in OMP
« on: December 21, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »
One of my clients is a local jeweler who took this in on trade, and he'll let me have it for bullion cost.  Just looking for some guidance on grading, so I can decide whether I should send this one in.  You'll notice some missing frost on the panda's face...little dot to the left of his nose, some more missing frost near the left ear, some missing frost at the bottom right corner of the 2nd "0" in "100".  I did a google search, and searched this forum, to see if there had been any previous discussion of what and what doesn't count against the grade on Pandas.  If there's an informative post that I missed, let me know, as I don't want to clog the forum with redundant discussions.  Do those little spots of missing front count against the grade? 

The back looks good, save for a small dot of some kind of crud near the rim at about 10 o'clock, and another larger one at the bottom near the date.  These I assume could be removed by NCS, though they're not orange or brown so I can't say they're copper spots.

I appreciate everyone's input - what I learn here will probably help me in learning to grade all years of Pandas and other coins.

Eric

PS:  Yes, I realize the "color" varies from front to back - it's the same coin, only my white balance settings changed as I made adjustments on the camera

Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
Re: Opinions on 1989 1oz Gold Panda in OMP
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 07:43:56 PM »
All of those frosting rubs will count against the grade.  I probably wouldn't bother grading it.  I couldn't tell you exactly what it will grade but my guess is sub MS68.  Really just depends if you want it in a slab for protection, viewing, etc.

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 07:03:05 AM »
Thanks for the input Obsidian.  On some of the dots in the frosting, you can see right through to the gold underneath meaning the frost wasn't rubbed off from friction with the plastic or anything else.  They look like the minting process simply skipped over these random miniscule areas, and I wasn't sure if that would bring the grade down given that it was caused by the mint, during minting.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline GDG's

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 01:31:33 PM »
I agree the coin has problems but for spot price how can you go wrong. With a mintage of around 120k you never know. If it goes up in price you can always send it in to get slabbed at a later date. I have some 2001 D's 1oz one as low as MS66. I'll keep it because there are so few 2001 D 1 oz's out there. I have the rest in 69 but several in lower grades too. This is why I usually like to stick with graded coins. I'm a collector NOT a dealer.
One thing about that 89 though. It's the most awful designed Panda in my opinion. I have one but hate the design.

Good Luck Honus

Offline exchange

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 01:37:46 PM »
One thing about that 89 though. It's the most awful designed Panda in my opinion. I have one but hate the design.

I respecfully diasgree, it is one of my favorites. I call it "Tron Panda" :)

sincerely,
exchange

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 01:41:56 PM »
I go back and forth on this design...some days I'll pull out an '89 and think "nice...!" and other days I just can't understand what the designer of that coin was thinking.  "Tron Panda" is an appropriate name for that one.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline GDG's

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 02:10:09 PM »
Too linear for my taste. I call it Panda over integrated circuit. :)

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 03:47:51 PM »
I call it "Tron Panda" :)

And now it finally has a name! I always thought the 1989 design looked "Japanese" to me, but I couldn't put into words why. Now I know - it looks like technology :)

I actually quite like the 1989 design. The only thing I don't like about is it is one of the more common years, except for the 1989 1 oz palladium panda, and a few other coins.

As far as the grade goes, all I can see on this coin are lots of lint marks. It was a very dirty die that made this coin, and it is most apparent on the frosted areas where, instead of being pressed with a frosted texture, it had a speck of dust pressed into it instead. Because of all the lint marks, a grader may not spend the time examining each one carefully to determine if it's damage or just a lint mark, so will just assign a 68 or lower grade for expediency.

Still, for bullion price, it's an easy purchasing decision to make. Even in a 68 grade it ought to be worth a bit more than bullion, but I think this is a coin I would probably leave in the original packaging unless I was really curious what grade it would get.

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 05:35:32 PM »
A life in its OMP it shall be, thanks gang!
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com