Author Topic: A picture is worth a thousand words  (Read 1605 times)

Offline exchange

• Trade Count: (0)
A picture is worth a thousand words
« on: December 20, 2011, 03:42:36 PM »
I was reading the ChinaTimes and came accross this picture.
I had an immediate flashback from a familiar photo.

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20111220000028&cid=1102
Women sewing in factory, 2010 or 2011. Textile factory. Many companies in Dongguan have been forced to cut back production due to a lack of orders, while others have been unable to recruit enough workers.

http://old-photos.blogspot.com/2008/07/women-sewing.html
Picture was taken in 1909 and shows a group of women sewing. They are working in the Brooklyn Navy yard. The shop made flags and other items for the Navy.

We all talk about this century belonging to China based on charts, economics, and many other fancy words used to describe a Nation's rise to power. However, women have a long history of been the main drivers for the prosperity of a country.

exchange
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:53:42 PM by exchange »

Offline badon

Re: A picture is worth a thousand words
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:44:50 PM »
It's not only women, it's families in general, of which women accrete the nucleus. The East has an edge over the West in that regard, and it has created social stability that has allowed it to take advantage of the opportunities arising in the void left over from the decline of the West.

tamo42

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 06:09:36 PM »
It's funny, my initial reaction to those photos is, "labor has very little competitive advantage." If you are basically trading your body for dollars (or RMB), you are doing it wrong.

Offline exchange

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 06:44:06 PM »
It's funny, my initial reaction to those photos is, "labor has very little competitive advantage." If you are basically trading your body for dollars (or RMB), you are doing it wrong.

My initial reaction is the parallel of the two Nations. One who became an economic super power, the other who is becoming one.

I think labor has a lot to do with competitive advantage. You need labor to produce, the more labor the more you produce. The more you produce, the more an economic grows.

exchange

tamo42

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 06:45:24 PM »
I meant on an individual level. Women in 1920s America sewing shoes weren't earning very much. Women in today's China sewing shoes aren't earning very much.

Offline exchange

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 06:46:45 PM »
I meant on an individual level. Women in 1920s America sewing shoes weren't earning very much. Women in today's China sewing shoes aren't earning very much.

Interesting how history rhymes.

exchange

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 06:50:53 PM »
Average manufacturing day labor costs $5 in the developing world and $200 in the USA. They have to balance out somehow; where do you think the labor wages are heading in the US? hmmm....