Author Topic: Sedona home burglary costs thousands in coins  (Read 9110 times)

Offline exchange

• Trade Count: (0)
Sedona home burglary costs thousands in coins
« on: December 19, 2011, 01:54:44 PM »
For those who don't beleive in Bank safety deposit boxes,

"The Yavapai County Sheriff's Office announced Saturday that a Sedona home was robbed of potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in collectible coins and cash earlier this month. Thousands of collectible coins were taken in the Dec. 9 burglary, in addition to $80,000 in cash.

Deputies were called to a home on the 11000 block of Boynton Pass Road in Sedona at around 8 p.m. on Dec. 9 and found the resident waiting outside with a neighbor. The woman said she had returned home to find glass on her back door had been broken. She noted that the house hadn't been ransacked, but that someone had pried their way into a storage room where the coins were kept.

According to a press release, among the stolen property was: 7,000 - 1-ounce 2011 American Eagle silver coins in plastic sleeves, 12 bags of 1920-1963 silver coins at 5, 10, and 25 cents, 15 - South Africa Krugerrand, 20 - 10-pound bars of silver, 20 - 5-pound bars of silver, 30 American Gold Eagles with Canadian maple leaves, 10-ounce and 6-ounce bars of silver with Johnson Matthey and Engelhard stamps and $80,000 cash in bank envelopes.

The exact value of all the items is still being determined.
The Sheriff's office said they held off on announcing the burglary at first because they didn't want to compromise several leads they were working. Detectives are still working some of those leads, but are now asking for the public's help.

Anyone with information on the burglary should contact Detective John Johnson at (928) 554-8575 or Yavapai Silent Witness at (800) 932-3232. Calls to Silent Witness are anonymous and callers are still eligible for a cash reward if an arrest is made".

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/sedona-home-burglary-costs-thousands-in-coins/article_4c913ab1-d282-52fc-a175-a0fa11bc0013.html

exchange

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
Re: Sedona home burglary costs thousands in coins
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 02:22:25 PM »
Bank deposit boxes are not to be trusted.  Maybe small local banks.  Why store all your wealth in one spot?  Several folks also had to know for the thief to head right for the booty.  3 to 4 hidden locations makes sense to me and keep it quiet..............

Underbidder

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 04:52:18 PM »
Fortunately what few friends of mine knew, I told 'em I sold out at the market top last month and with the proceeds bought lots of nasty snakes and the eight Doberman's and the shed full of their food for the next year.... (now if we can only find which drawer all the snakes slithered off to...) :scared:

Offline exchange

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 11:48:33 AM »
Here's another case..... "Homer Glen man offers $20K reward in theft of safe"

HOMER GLEN — A homeowner is offering $20,000 to find out who stole a large safe from his house last month.

Walter Konow put money in a safe inside the office of his house around 7:30 p.m. Nov. 23 in the 16800 block of South Cedar Road. He went out for dinner about a half-hour later and came back around 10:30 p.m. Since money he’d left on the kitchen table was still there and nothing seemed to be disturbed, Konow went to bed and spent most of Thanksgiving Day at home without thinking anything was wrong.
But the following morning, Konow walked through the office door to see the 6-foot tall safe was missing.

“The thing weighs 1,200 pounds empty and was anchored to the floor and the wall,” Konow said. “I always thought there’d be much more chance of the house catching on fire and everything in there being safe than having it stolen.” The green John Deere safe has been in the office for the last 13 years without incident. Konow said he has not had many visitors in the office or talked much about what the safe contained.

The Konows have been burglarized before.
“About 10 years ago, a guy broke in and just grabbed a bunch of stuff from the house, but his car broke down about 500 feet down the road and Will County Sheriff’s police caught him,” Konow said. This time, investigators found the back door to the garage had been broken and someone walked through the house, passing a stack of cash and other valuables, to reach Konow’s office. It appears the burglars came just for the safe.

Among the reported contents of the safe were antique rifles and shotguns that belonged to Konow’s father; three other pistols; ammunition; $40,000 cash; $20,000 in collectible currency; savings bonds; vehicle titles; blank checks; and Konow’s wife’s jewelry, including a diamond ring.
“Besides the things my dad gave me, none of the ‘valuables’ are really as important,” Konow said. “I can make more money. I can buy more guns, but there were family pictures and videos in there that wouldn’t be worth 10 cents at a yard sale. That’s what I can’t replace and that’s what I want to get back.” Konow believes the reward will be an incentive for anyone who knows what happened to come forward. He first publicized the award with an ad in The Herald-News.

Deputy Chief Ken Kaupas said the case is an active investigation, but hopes publicity will generate leads.
Anyone with information should call detectives at 815-727-8574 or anonymously call CrimeStoppers at 800-323-6734.

http://heraldnews.suntimes.com/news/9400166-418/20k-reward-in-theft-of-safe.html

exchange

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 01:26:16 PM »
As the economy falls futher in 2012, these thefts will become common.  At some point they will be taking food supplies too.  I now live in the sticks.  Farming community w/ lots of water, cattle, and grains.  Maybe it will be safe here as the nearest town is 1 1/2 hrs away.........

tamo42

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 06:11:04 PM »
Both of these stories show that you should not let people know what you have at home. These are obviously targeted attacks.

Offline exchange

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 03:55:17 PM »
Thief drops stolen coin collection into Coinstar machine

Police in Oregon are searching for a suspect who allegedly stole a rare coin collection from his own father and traded it in for pennies on the dollar at a local coin-counting machine. On Christmas day, Dan Johnson Jr. and two friends broke into a shed on his father's property, where the coin collection was stowed. The burglars also reportedly stole tools and two safes, which had approximately 50 to 60 pounds of silver and jewelry inside.

So what explains the colossal miscue? Authorities say that the simplest explanation is the most persuasive one. "The obvious answer is that the crooks were idiots," Dan Johnson Sr. told local affiliate Fox 12. "To not know the value of what they had taken, just to get pocket change for it. Just really a stupid person. Makes me feel good he was a stupid person and didn't realize what he had." The thieves took the coin collection, worth several thousand dollars, and dropped it into a Coinstar machine, where they received $450. They were unsuccessful in their attempts to put the silver coins into the machine and eventually took those to a local bank. "It was an inheritance, which made it even worse because I lost an inheritance that was meant to go forward for my children and grandchildren," Johnson said of the collection that his son had purloined.

However, Johnson is now working with the Multnomah County Sheriff's deputies to sift through the Coinstar machine looking for his collection. The bank is also returning the silver coins to Johnson. Police have caught two of the suspects involved in the crime, both of whom they say are cooperating in the investigation.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/thief-drops-stolen-coin-collection-coinstar-machine-154615597.html

exchange

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »
I live in Oregon and read the article yesterday.  Really enjoyed it.  Worthless scumbag thief sonny boy anyhow.  The victims were lucky to contact honest police.  I was friends with the City and County Police years ago and they showed me their crimes that they commit regularly.  I came to this conclusion;  to fight crime in the NW contact your FBI and State Trooper first.  Wonder if this is the case in all the states?  I don't always feel safe owning a coin collection.............

Offline ghostrider80811

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 05:06:47 PM »
I live in Oregon and read the article yesterday.  Really enjoyed it.  Worthless scumbag thief sonny boy anyhow.  The victims were lucky to contact honest police.  I was friends with the City and County Police years ago and they showed me their crimes that they commit regularly.  I came to this conclusion;  to fight crime in the NW contact your FBI and State Trooper first.  Wonder if this is the case in all the states?  I don't always feel safe owning a coin collection.............

9 out of 10 time,  Law enforcement officers such as the FBI and State Trooper are only there after a crimes has been committed.  Sometimes if the crime is really big like the $16 Trillion in secret bailouts at tax payers expense (that means you reading this), nothing happens, and everything gets hushed up.  I trust my local Sheriff more then I do any FBI or state trooper.

Offline exchange

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 10:39:07 PM »
I believe one day bank safety deposit boxes will be a luxury thing to have as oppose to today no one wanting them. I also believe what has happened in 2008 and what may happen down the road will make a new generation save like their ancesters, the old fashion way as there will be zero confidence in the financial institutions.
Today its cheaper to own a bank's safety deposit box which occupies real estate than a virtual bank account.

Thieves steal $200,000 worth of rare coins in home invasion.
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. — DeKalb police are investigating a home invasion where thieves stole $200,000 worth of rare coins.
The burglary happened at Gavinwood Place off North Druid Hills in Decatur.
Police said two armed men went to the home at about 11:30 p.m. and forced the homeowner to open his safe which had $200,000 worth of precious coins inside. They then allegedly tied up the 63-year-old man and his 12-year-old daughter before taking off with the coins.
The victims described the robbers as masked men with dread-locked hair.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/200000-worth-rare-coins-stolen/nNjrW/

exchange

Offline fractalfate

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 06:57:39 AM »
Agreed, exchange. People continue to state that safety deposit boxes are not safe... I have read of at least a dozen large-scale coin thefts from peoples' homes and safes in the past year. How many safety deposit box thefts have you heard of recently? Just stop with these rationalizations and get the box already.

Offline exchange

Nervous investors fill Swiss safes with cash, gold.
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 01:55:55 PM »
I believe one day bank safety deposit boxes will be a luxury thing to have as oppose to today no one wanting them. I also believe what has happened in 2008 and what may happen down the road will make a new generation save like their ancesters, the old fashion way as there will be zero confidence in the financial institutions.
Today its cheaper to own a bank's safety deposit box which occupies real estate than a virtual bank account.

exchange

Some parts of the world are realizing it and by the time most Americans figure it out, it will be to late.

"Investors trying to protect their wealth from global economic uncertainty have been stashing bank notes, gold bars and other valuables in Swiss banks, fuelling demand for safe deposit boxes....."

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/nervous-investors-fill-swiss-safes-130208924.html

exchange

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 05:55:06 PM »
If you trust safety deposit boxes then you trust banks.  I don't trust banks so I would rather bury it then bank it.  Maybe I can grow a panda tree.............

Offline exchange

Offline Gilmore

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 12:02:03 AM »
I believe one day bank safety deposit boxes will be a luxury thing to have as oppose to today no one wanting them.

exchange

I went to the local branch here in Taiwan and all safety deposit boxes are occupied, none available. The banker told me that it was never like that before and until late last year they always had free safety deposit boxes. I am on the waiting list for over 6 months already.