Author Topic: Yuan Shih Kai year 10 big head and small head  (Read 3594 times)

Offline Giantgg

• Trade Count: (0)
Yuan Shih Kai year 10 big head and small head
« on: December 17, 2011, 06:02:55 AM »
Hi,

Need advise from expert here to englighten me regarding Year10 yuan shih kai.
Recently I passby one coin dealer and see see look ..They sell many yuan shih kai silver dollar. I pick up one year ten yuan shih kai. After reach home upon verified with my exist year 10 yuan shih kai..found out recently purchase the head is bigger. Would like to know more about origin of small and big head.

Thanks

Offline dobedo

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Yuan Shih Kai year 10 big head and small head
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 10:05:40 PM »
Do they weight the same? How much each?

Offline Giantgg

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
Hi,

Need advise from expert here to englighten me regarding Year10 yuan shih kai.
Recently I passby one coin dealer and see see look ..They sell many yuan shih kai silver dollar. I pick up one year ten yuan shih kai. After reach home upon verified with my exist year 10 yuan shih kai..found out recently purchase the head is bigger. Would like to know more about origin of small and big head.

Thanks
The big head 26.54g dia: 38.9mm thickness 2.6mm   160 USD
The small head 26.57g dia 38.8mm thickness 26.57  110 USD
Both coin purchase at different location . Bought at reputatble coin dealer in my country Singapore.

Thanks

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 05:26:22 AM »
Dear Giantgg, :001_rolleyes:

Indeed the head of your YSK 1921 dollar on 2 first pictures is a little bit bigger than on 2 last pictures which you posted here. But what is more interesting is that you have one rare variety of YSK 1921 :001_rolleyes:
Let's analyze...shall we.
Like I said your YSK 1921 dollar on first 2 pictures is a little bit bigger than on 2 last pictures. 2 last pictures-your YSK dollar 1921 which you called small head is actually common YSK 1921. Nothing special on this coin, except maybe that on obverse the first chinese character has small little sharp part nearly connected (but this is nothing special). On the reverse it has a gently trace from a die.
So this one is common YSK 1921. Please take a look once again on your pictures of common YSK 1921. I marked on red color this what I am saying here. I also found similar common YSK 1921 and mark it again so you can compare.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline KONDi

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 05:36:49 AM »
Now let's focus on that rare variety YSK 1921 which you called big head.
And everything will explain you my post called:
Beautiful varieties of 1921 YSK dollar
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4399.0
Please take a look on nr 8
and read below: Re: Beautiful varieties of 1921 YSK dollar
This will explain you everything :001_rolleyes:
I have the same variety of YSK 1921. The picture of my coin
8) Here is another YSK 1921 variety which is worth of interest. First of all the part where are star on YSK 1921 obverse doesn't look like on common YSK 1921. Hair are more clear on this YSK 1921. The eyebrow is more clear than on common YSK 1921.If I wouldn't see this year "ten" written as a chinese character I could say it is YSK 1920 Hainan variety. So, here's the question: why this YSK 1921 looks similar to YSK 1920 Hainan. My hypothesis is that the die of YSK 1920 was modified or changed a little bit. Character "9" was replaced by little bigger characher "ten". Except that everything is the same. So when they made this variety of YSK 1921 or they created new die and redesigned it. Or modified the die. Rare type.

About picture nr 8. I discovered something new. There are 2 varieties of YSK 1920: both made in Hainan. Most of you will probably have that clear variety YSK 1920 (2 marked on red color). There is other variety of YSK 1920 made in Hainan, much more rarer with crude design (picture . The hair, eyebrow and stars part look still little clear but not os clear as on common variety of YSK 1920. But let's don't talk about it now. That will be the topic of my next post about 1920 varieties. My point is that YSK 1921 variety (with marked on red 1) is more similar to YSK 1920 crude variety (with marked on red 3). So my final hypothesis is that YSK 1921 on this picture 8 it is redesigned die of YSK 1920 crude variety from Hainan to creat this YSK 1921. I would like to mark it clearly, crude one (marked with red colored 3) not the one which is more clear (marked with red colored 2). I hope my everything what I wrote here is clear.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline Giantgg

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 08:55:58 AM »
Hi Kondi,

Thankyou very much for your detail explaination. Really appreciate !....Now I getting more and more interested in coin collecting...

Thanks

Offline dobedo

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »
Congratulations, Giantgg, for your good catch! Kondi's analysis is very interesting indeed. I have similar Yuan Big Head coins except they are under weight and are attractive to magnet.

Offline KONDi

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 11:00:03 AM »
Hi Kondi,

Thankyou very much for your detail explaination. Really appreciate !....Now I getting more and more interested in coin collecting...

Thanks
You are always welcome!
I am here to help with Republican coins:), dragondollar will help you with Imperial coins:)
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com