Author Topic: Selling. Assorted gold and silver China coins.  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
Selling. Assorted gold and silver China coins.
« on: December 01, 2011, 02:52:22 PM »
I have a dozen mostly Chinese coins listed on eBay, ending Sunday and Monday evenings.  Almost all started at 99 cents.  Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/brettbiology/m.html?item=120819473986&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649&_trksid=p4340.l2562

Birdman

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
Re: Selling. Assorted gold and silver China coins.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 03:52:26 PM »
In response to a PM'd question, all of my current batch of listings of Chinese coins are "no reserve" auctions that started at 99 cents.  With only hours to go, a few coins are still below spot price, so you might get a deal ;)  This will be a true test of what the current market value is for this assortment of China coins.  Perhaps there will be a few surprises? (Naturally, I hope on the upside!)

Offline Lightsview

• Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 02:10:15 AM »
only shipping to US?  :(

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »
only shipping to US?  :(

I plan to offer shipping outside the US in future sales, but I am first making sure that I have mastered the details of domestic business, before I expand to included the added dimensions (customs, etc.) of international transactions.  My highest priority right now is being sure that I provide a high quality customer service experience.  I realize, however, that I might miss out on some international bids in the short term.  Stay tuned, and thanks for your interest. 

It is interesting to note that I have received multiple inquiries regarding international shipping for the coins.  There really seems to be a strong demand outside the US.

low

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 08:10:43 PM »
I plan to offer shipping outside the US in future sales, but I am first making sure that I have mastered the details of domestic business, before I expand to included the added dimensions (customs, etc.) of international transactions.  My highest priority right now is being sure that I provide a high quality customer service experience.  I realize, however, that I might miss out on some international bids in the short term.  Stay tuned, and thanks for your interest. 

It is interesting to note that I have received multiple inquiries regarding international shipping for the coins.  There really seems to be a strong demand outside the US.

Shipping to Malaysia with FedEx is safe though the freight charges is very high. On the safe side, it is good to declare the item as "numismatic items" or "collectors coin" or "medal", buyer has to pay 10% sales tax (Malaysia) on total declared value + freight charges. It takes 4 days or so to arrive. Usually custom don't open the parcel. It is best to obtain the buyer's contact number before you post. FedEx will handle the custom matter and buyer pay the tax when FedEx deliver the parcel.

For cheaper option, USPS express mail is acceptable. It takes anything from 4 days to 2 weeks to arrive. Relatively inconsistent. Parcel valued at $130 (estimate) or below is not subjected to tax. It is a problem if custom decided buyer must pay tax. There are 2 options here, either buyer personally pay the tax at custom office and redeem the parcel or they appoint Malaysia Post to liaise with custom. The service charge is $10. Buyer pay the service charge and tax when Malaysia Post deliver the parcel. With USPS express mail, chances are custom will open the parcel.

If you were to post gold coins, it is best to use FedEx and avoid the word "gold". If you were to use USPS, then don't declare full value.

For Malaysia, the custom code for numismatic item is 9705.00 000 and attract a 10% sales tax.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
An eBay buyer retracting multiple bids. Reason for concern?
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:30:25 PM »
Two of my eBay listings that ended today (120820012767 & 120820011094) had bidder retractions because the bidder "entered the wrong amount." It seems a bit suspicious to me.  Not only was it the same person that retracted the bid in each case, but he had a "private" feedback notation and a feedback score of zero.  I called eBay and reported it.  They said that it was irregular and they made a note of it in his eBay account, but they didn't seem overly concerned.

Have any of the eBay sellers on this forum had bidders do that?  Do you think it was an honest mistake on the bidder's part, or is there some other motive involved that I should be concerned about and be on the lookout for in the future?

I learn something new every day...

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 08:34:03 PM »
Shipping to Malaysia with FedEx is safe though the freight charges is very high. On the safe side, it is good to declare the item as "numismatic items" or "collectors coin" or "medal", buyer has to pay 10% sales tax (Malaysia) on total declared value + freight charges. It takes 4 days or so to arrive. Usually custom don't open the parcel. It is best to obtain the buyer's contact number before you post. FedEx will handle the custom matter and buyer pay the tax when FedEx deliver the parcel.

For cheaper option, USPS express mail is acceptable. It takes anything from 4 days to 2 weeks to arrive. Relatively inconsistent. Parcel valued at $130 (estimate) or below is not subjected to tax. It is a problem if custom decided buyer must pay tax. There are 2 options here, either buyer personally pay the tax at custom office and redeem the parcel or they appoint Malaysia Post to liaise with custom. The service charge is $10. Buyer pay the service charge and tax when Malaysia Post deliver the parcel. With USPS express mail, chances are custom will open the parcel.

If you were to post gold coins, it is best to use FedEx and avoid the word "gold". If you were to use USPS, then don't declare full value.

For Malaysia, the custom code for numismatic item is 9705.00 000 and attract a 10% sales tax.

Thanks for the info.  I have started a file where I am saving this type of advice from different members.