Author Topic: Coin Compendium volunteer testers list  (Read 27418 times)

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Coin Compendium volunteer testers list
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 03:14:12 PM »
I'd be happy to help out however I can. Sign me up!

Can you tell me a little about your interests?

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »
Hi badon, I would like to be part of this effort. I have diverse interests , but I can start with the rare/endangered animal series. I have quite a few of them. Their attractive designs and relatively low "actual" mintages attracted me to them. Examples: Skia Deer, Crested Ibis, baiji dolphins,snow leopard..etc

Offline badon

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »
Welcome to the Coin Compendium r3globe. I just made CCT336 for the endangered animals series. There is nothing else on the site about that interesting series yet!

Please look around at the other stuff on the site, especially the help page, so you will have an idea of how to do what you want with it. Don't worry about doing something wrong, the site is working very well so far, and I haven't yet had any trouble fixing mistakes very quickly. Making a few mistakes is a good way to learn. Have fun!

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 08:01:26 PM »
Thank you :) This is exciting!

Offline dragondollar

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Dragon Dollar & Chinese Coins
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 08:43:30 PM »
Hi Badon, my specialty would be ungraded coins, from late Qing period (but maybe older coins are off topic?). I think I could help with regards to the website security, since this is part of my day job.

Offline badon

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2011, 04:21:35 AM »
Older coins are ON TOPIC! The Coin Compendium is designed to handle any coins, from any time. It would be very helpful if the CC had complete info on all the older Chinese coins too. But, since I know nothing about them, I will wait a while longer until more testing has been done with the modern coins. I may not recognize important problems that appear with the older coins until I'm able to focus on them. Be assured, we want the CC to be a good reference for older coins too.

Offline badon

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2011, 04:27:37 AM »
I just discovered a serious problem that DiggingNorway's testing had uncovered. It's the first serious problem I've found, but it was easy to fix, and the problem had not actually occurred yet. The problem would have caused all the sightings for a coin to disappear if the coin's type got changed, like is happening now when SANDAC finds a new variety of the historical figures. One of the tests DiggingNorway did revealed the problem, and I was able to fix it before it could cause trouble.

Thanks DiggingNorway - You found the first (and only?) serious bug, and the CC is MUCH better now, thanks to your tests today.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2011, 01:51:43 PM »
no problem, what I am excited over now, is what will happen to the sightings once the auctions ends....

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2011, 01:56:57 PM »
specimen CC52 and sighting CCS15 are duplictaes (already both registered as specimen and sighting... how do I delete them, and why was not the duplicate entry stopped by the compendium?

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2011, 02:01:48 PM »
"Pictures are handy

Of course, a picture is worth a thousand words, so it would also be helpful to include screenshots of the website where this sighting is found. It will make it much easier for readers to follow what you're talking about, especially after the website changes. "

i.e you want people to copy paste the screenshot from the ebay auction?? if not, the picture of the coin will disapear once ebay has removed the item? BUT, how interesting is such a photo anyway... I would belivbe that the most interesting feature of the specimen pages are to be able to track the turnover, geography and price development of that particular coin? Or should we assume that when the coin first is registered as a specimen it is from the owner, thus he will provide photos once he registers the specimen? (and not like now, where I am just trying things out and as soon as I see one from the type I register it both as a specimen (without photo since it is not my coin) and then as a sighting because I want to build up as much sales data as possible....)

Offline badon

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »
specimen CC52 and sighting CCS15 are duplictaes (already both registered as specimen and sighting... how do I delete them, and why was not the duplicate entry stopped by the compendium?

They are not actually duplicates. I checked the info you entered, and one of them had the wrong certification number (which made them the same). When I fixed the certification number on the one with the wrong number, it was no longer a duplicate. It was a good test - fixing that issue is how I discovered the serious problem I mentioned earlier.

Occasional mistakes often reveal system flaws that I didn't think could possibly exist. Revealing them during testing is much better than revealing them during public use when there are thousands of people using the site, so once again, thank you for these tests you are doing.

Offline badon

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2011, 02:08:46 PM »
"Pictures are handy

Of course, a picture is worth a thousand words, so it would also be helpful to include screenshots of the website where this sighting is found. It will make it much easier for readers to follow what you're talking about, especially after the website changes. "

i.e you want people to copy paste the screenshot from the ebay auction?? if not, the picture of the coin will disapear once ebay has removed the item? BUT, how interesting is such a photo anyway... I would belivbe that the most interesting feature of the specimen pages are to be able to track the turnover, geography and price development of that particular coin? Or should we assume that when the coin first is registered as a specimen it is from the owner, thus he will provide photos once he registers the specimen? (and not like now, where I am just trying things out and as soon as I see one from the type I register it both as a specimen (without photo since it is not my coin) and then as a sighting because I want to build up as much sales data as possible....)

The purpose for the screenshots is to prove that the sighting is accurate and really occurred. With so much data in the CC, it will take a while for everything to be checked by someone, and since Ebay listings are completely deleted after 90 days, there is not much time for everything to be checked. With a screenshot, the information can be checked any time.

For example, I noticed that one of the coins you had entered had the wrong certification number. Since the ebay listing is still active, I was able to check it and correct the mistake. If the ebay listing had expired without a screenshot, there would be no way to check that info.

Also, I plan on automating the screenshot process so all you have to do is enter in the info, and the system will automatically go and get a screenshot, and then add it to the listing. That will help protect people's privacy too, because ebay screenshots usually show their ebay username. The automatic system screenshots will show no ebay user name.

Offline badon

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2011, 02:14:40 PM »
I should add that without screenshots, it would be easier for someone to put in fake data to manipulate pricing. When all the data gets checked eventually, anything that looks suspicious can be marked as having a problem. That reminds me, I forgot to add the "problem" feature to the sightings. I'll do that.

With the "problem" feature, people wanting to see charts of prices can choose to leave out all sightings that are marked as having a problem. That way, we can still enter the data into the CC, so we have a record of it, without worrying about it skewing the data unnaturally.

One thing to keep in mind - some coins will be getting hundreds of sightings each day. Other coins will only get one each year (or longer). Some coins are only collected by a few people, like researchers looking for varieties no one else cares about. In all those cases, it could be a very long time before someone looks closely at the data to make sure it's correct. As long as we have the screenshots, like in my CCS2 example, the data can be checked any time in the future, and as many times as is needed.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2011, 02:15:02 PM »
CC50 (with sighting CCS13 and certification # 2764488-001) is the same specimen as
CC52 (with sighting CCS15 and certification # 2764488-001)

CC51 (with sighting CC14 and certification # 2764488-002) is a different coin.

Thus CC50 and CC52 are the same coin (duplicates)

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2011, 02:18:13 PM »
CCS15 is with the wrong price....I quoted 299.99, should be 399.99, because it is the same coin as CCS13 (it has not been sold yet... the other coin I bought...