Author Topic: Coin Compendium volunteer testers list  (Read 25238 times)

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
Coin Compendium volunteer testers list
« on: November 29, 2011, 03:40:51 PM »
If you're interested in testing the Coin Compendium, make a post in a reply here with your area of specialty you would like to focus on. The Coin Compendium is going to set the standard for many things. For example, on panda coins, should the Coin Compendium go with the official panda side "reverse" and temple side "obverse" terminology, or is there a good reason to do it differently?

Being a tester means you will have early access to the CC, and you can give your opinion about how you think it should work.

Some example Chinese coin specialties that are currently underrepresented in the testing team:

* unicorns
* world historical figures
* PCGS graded coins
* medals, both obscure and famous
* varieties of all types
* ungraded coins

Other specialties are welcome too, if you want to add yourself to the list for when I decide to grant someone else access to the CC. Even people with no specialty are welcome because you can still tell me things you notice that could be better. When choosing new people to allow early access to the CC, I'll check this list first.

UPDATE:

I probably should have phrased the title of this post differently. "Volunteer" means you have fun playing with the Coin Compendium, and tell me if you notice something that's wrong or could be improved. There isn't anything specific expected of you.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:26:24 PM by badon »

Offline GDG's

• Trade Count: (+4)
Re: Coin Compendium volunteer testers list
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 03:59:56 PM »
#1  The monetary value on the coin is usually the obverse
#2  The grading services slabbed the coins with the Panda being the obverse
#3  The Panda changing each year most collectors like to display their coins with the Panda as the obverse

Just my humble opinion
Good Luck

Offline chinesecoinworks

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 05:06:34 PM »
On the other hand, the Chinese calls the Temple side the obverse.  :confused1:

To me, both sides are equally important where the varieties that can appear on.

Offline GDG's

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »
Yes I know that "Officially" the Temple is the obverse, but even in China they display the Panda not the temple as the obverse.
Where varieties can appear/Large/Small dates also exist on the Panda side as does the monetary value. Since most Chinese collect raw Panda's it shouldn't matter to Chinese as much.
Since the two largest grading companies use the Panda as the obverse I would go with the Panda.
Again just a collectors opinion.

Offline badon

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 10:29:56 PM »
This says that numismatists choose the larger scale, if they don't know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obverse_and_reverse

larger scale means "more zoomed in". So, on a lincoln memorial cent, the side where you can see Lincoln the best is the "obverse" and the side where he's a tiny statue inside the Lincoln memorial building is the reverse. I think that's reasonable, and if that's the convention everyone prefers, we can go with that. I wonder if China puts their most revered figures like Mao on the obverse or reverse?

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 10:52:47 PM »
I look up what Krause considers obverse and reverse and what NGC considers obverse and reverse.  They are opposite of each other!  Doesn't look like this issue can be settle easily.  Sigh!

Offline badon

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 11:32:59 PM »
Another "issue" is "issuer". The People's Bank of China issues legal tender - but what about CGCI? Are they an "issuer" too? If so, what's the difference between an "issuer" and a distributor? In addition, what counts as an "official" distributor?

low

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 12:28:27 AM »
Another "issue" is "issuer". The People's Bank of China issues legal tender - but what about CGCI? Are they an "issuer" too? If so, what's the difference between an "issuer" and a distributor? In addition, what counts as an "official" distributor?

http://www.chngc.net/Main/D_TEXT/GGJJ.aspx

China Gold Coin Incorporation was established in 1987, it is the only professional company dealing with precious metal commemorative coins directly affiliated to the People’s Bank of China. China Gold Coin Incorporation also fulfills the function of issuing precious metal commemorative coins, which is an important component and business extension of the currency issuance function of the People’s Bank of China, meanwhile an indispensable supporting system of the money issuing of the Central Bank.

Offline badon

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 01:16:41 AM »
That's first-class service from low, thank you. So, it appears the People's Bank of China "issues" currency to CGCI, and they are in turn the "issuer" of the coins themselves.

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 01:20:11 AM »
#1  The monetary value on the coin is usually the obverse
#2  The grading services slabbed the coins with the Panda being the obverse
#3  The Panda changing each year most collectors like to display their coins with the Panda as the obverse

Just my humble opinion
Good Luck
I actually disagree with point #1.  The obverse of US coins generally have the DATE.  Often times the denomination is on the reverse.  I believe that the Chinese have the Pagoda as the Obverse because that is where the date is minted.

For some examples of US coins with the date on the Obverse and the denomination as the reverse look at the Indian Head Penny, Lincoln Penny, V nickles, Buffalo nickles, Jefferson nickles, mercury dimes, Barber coins, standing liberty quarters, etc.  In fact historically almost all US coins have the date on the obverse and the denomination printed on the reverse.

I think from a technical standpoint, the obverse is likely the Pagoda.  From a grading / display standpoint I am glad they put the Panda side as the front of the slab.  In that regard I agree with your points 2 and 3.  I guess I just wish the date was minted on the Panda side and then this discussion wouldn't exist.

Offline badon

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 01:24:14 AM »
Maybe we can just call the panda side the "obverse" and the pagoda side the "official obverse". That sounds funny, but I'm serious - we might have to do that just so #1 nobody is confused and #2 everybody is happy.

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 01:27:42 AM »
Maybe we can just call the panda side the "obverse" and the pagoda side the "official obverse". That sounds funny, but I'm serious - we might have to do that just so #1 nobody is confused and #2 everybody is happy.

I think I would stick with the Pagoda as the obverse and panda as reverse.  That is the standard here and in China.  There is no rule that says the obverse has to be displayed or that NGC/PCGS need to have the obverse as the front of the slab.  I think they do it right by putting the panda as the front of the slab.  It can still be called the reverse.  I think "obverse" and "official obverse" would end up being more confusing.

Offline badon

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 01:42:18 AM »
The problem lies in the automation of the Coin Compendium. It will display the "official obverse" as the obverse in all of the main photos. I suppose I could code it up to make an exception for coins from China, but then I'd have to ask if there's exceptions to the exceptions. Oh, has anybody figured out which side of the vault protectors is the "obverse"?

Hmm, now that I'm thinking about it, I could call it "Side 1" and "Side 2". Then we can control that for each individual coin, and still easily indicate "obverse" and "reverse" also. I might try that and see how it goes.

Offline GDG's

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 04:36:59 AM »

Offline peng_you

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 05:38:29 AM »
1.Go w/official obverse
2.You can't make everybody happy.

http://southernpmx.com

Offline madduxxx

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 01:05:49 PM »
If you're interested in testing the Coin Compendium, make a post in a reply here with your area of specialty you would like to focus on. The Coin Compendium is going to set the standard for many things. For example, on panda coins, should the Coin Compendium go with the official panda side "reverse" and temple side "obverse" terminology, or is there a good reason to do it differently?

Being a tester means you will have early access to the CC, and you can give your opinion about how you think it should work.

Some example Chinese coin specialties that are currently underrepresented in the testing team:

* unicorns
* world historical figures
* PCGS graded coins
* medals, both obscure and famous
* varieties of all types
* ungraded coins

Other specialties are welcome too, if you want to add yourself to the list for when I decide to grant someone else access to the CC. Even people with no specialty are welcome because you can still tell me things you notice that could be better. When choosing new people to allow early access to the CC, I'll check this list first.

Hey Badon, I would like to volunteer to help with testing.  I have been focused on and studying the various medals (mostly non-panda silver) that were minted throughout the 80s and 90s since about April or so.  Don't consider myself an expert but I do have some knowledge in this area that others might not.

tamo42

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 02:30:40 PM »
I'm volunteering/press-ganging into service :). I'll be doing some of the back end data entry so that everything is more usable for everyone else.

Offline badon

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 02:37:44 PM »
Hey Badon, I would like to volunteer to help with testing.  I have been focused on and studying the various medals (mostly non-panda silver) that were minted throughout the 80s and 90s since about April or so.  Don't consider myself an expert but I do have some knowledge in this area that others might not.

The medals are going to be tough to organize since so little is known about them. I'll be in touch with you to help figure out how that should be done. We can easily change the way things are set up, so it's safe to experiment. In fact, the site is so flexible, it can accommodate multiple organization schemes if we need to use more than one.

calc

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 09:48:59 PM »
I would like to volunteer to help with testing.

Offline badon

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 11:42:44 PM »
Madduxxx and calc, welcome to the Coin Compendium. Have fun looking around, and please post if you've got some questions or something you want to discuss.

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 12:26:31 AM »
I would be happy to do some testing also if you have a need.  I wouldn't say I am a real expert on much but I have done a fair bit of beta testing over the years  :001_smile:

Offline Leroy_Jethro

• New
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 07:05:22 PM »
I'd be happy to help out however I can. Sign me up!

Offline Grip

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 07:13:27 PM »
I love the Unicorn series. I have quite a few of both gold and silver in 95-97 graded coins. I would love to help...  

Offline buynicething

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 02:50:19 PM »
I will help if I can.  What must I do?
I have most of the silver dragons, and a couple gold ones.

Offline badon

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 12:59:24 AM »
I will help if I can.  What must I do?
I have most of the silver dragons, and a couple gold ones.

Are those the lunar dragons? Which series?

Offline badon

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 01:16:35 AM »
I love the Unicorn series. I have quite a few of both gold and silver in 95-97 graded coins. I would love to help... 

Welcome to the Coin Compendium, Grip!

Offline badon

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 01:17:09 AM »
I would be happy to do some testing also if you have a need.  I wouldn't say I am a real expert on much but I have done a fair bit of beta testing over the years  :001_smile:

What coins are you most interested in collecting?

Offline buynicething

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 10:50:55 AM »
Badon they are lunar dragons

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 02:49:51 PM »
What coins are you most interested in collecting?

I have quite a bit of stuff.  My main focus has been on gold pandas. However, I have most proof silver pandas, some unicorns, invention and discoveries, a number of lunars, full flowered silver set etc.  I have also been a US coin collector over the years.  In other words my know knowledge is fairly broad based.

Offline badon

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 03:13:11 PM »
buynicething and Obsidian, welcome to the Coin Compendium. Have fun looking around and trying things out.

Offline badon

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 03:14:12 PM »
I'd be happy to help out however I can. Sign me up!

Can you tell me a little about your interests?

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »
Hi badon, I would like to be part of this effort. I have diverse interests , but I can start with the rare/endangered animal series. I have quite a few of them. Their attractive designs and relatively low "actual" mintages attracted me to them. Examples: Skia Deer, Crested Ibis, baiji dolphins,snow leopard..etc

Offline badon

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »
Welcome to the Coin Compendium r3globe. I just made CCT336 for the endangered animals series. There is nothing else on the site about that interesting series yet!

Please look around at the other stuff on the site, especially the help page, so you will have an idea of how to do what you want with it. Don't worry about doing something wrong, the site is working very well so far, and I haven't yet had any trouble fixing mistakes very quickly. Making a few mistakes is a good way to learn. Have fun!

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 08:01:26 PM »
Thank you :) This is exciting!

Offline dragondollar

• Dragon Dollar & Chinese Coins
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 08:43:30 PM »
Hi Badon, my specialty would be ungraded coins, from late Qing period (but maybe older coins are off topic?). I think I could help with regards to the website security, since this is part of my day job.

Offline badon

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2011, 04:21:35 AM »
Older coins are ON TOPIC! The Coin Compendium is designed to handle any coins, from any time. It would be very helpful if the CC had complete info on all the older Chinese coins too. But, since I know nothing about them, I will wait a while longer until more testing has been done with the modern coins. I may not recognize important problems that appear with the older coins until I'm able to focus on them. Be assured, we want the CC to be a good reference for older coins too.

Offline badon

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2011, 04:27:37 AM »
I just discovered a serious problem that DiggingNorway's testing had uncovered. It's the first serious problem I've found, but it was easy to fix, and the problem had not actually occurred yet. The problem would have caused all the sightings for a coin to disappear if the coin's type got changed, like is happening now when SANDAC finds a new variety of the historical figures. One of the tests DiggingNorway did revealed the problem, and I was able to fix it before it could cause trouble.

Thanks DiggingNorway - You found the first (and only?) serious bug, and the CC is MUCH better now, thanks to your tests today.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2011, 01:51:43 PM »
no problem, what I am excited over now, is what will happen to the sightings once the auctions ends....

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2011, 01:56:57 PM »
specimen CC52 and sighting CCS15 are duplictaes (already both registered as specimen and sighting... how do I delete them, and why was not the duplicate entry stopped by the compendium?

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2011, 02:01:48 PM »
"Pictures are handy

Of course, a picture is worth a thousand words, so it would also be helpful to include screenshots of the website where this sighting is found. It will make it much easier for readers to follow what you're talking about, especially after the website changes. "

i.e you want people to copy paste the screenshot from the ebay auction?? if not, the picture of the coin will disapear once ebay has removed the item? BUT, how interesting is such a photo anyway... I would belivbe that the most interesting feature of the specimen pages are to be able to track the turnover, geography and price development of that particular coin? Or should we assume that when the coin first is registered as a specimen it is from the owner, thus he will provide photos once he registers the specimen? (and not like now, where I am just trying things out and as soon as I see one from the type I register it both as a specimen (without photo since it is not my coin) and then as a sighting because I want to build up as much sales data as possible....)

Offline badon

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »
specimen CC52 and sighting CCS15 are duplictaes (already both registered as specimen and sighting... how do I delete them, and why was not the duplicate entry stopped by the compendium?

They are not actually duplicates. I checked the info you entered, and one of them had the wrong certification number (which made them the same). When I fixed the certification number on the one with the wrong number, it was no longer a duplicate. It was a good test - fixing that issue is how I discovered the serious problem I mentioned earlier.

Occasional mistakes often reveal system flaws that I didn't think could possibly exist. Revealing them during testing is much better than revealing them during public use when there are thousands of people using the site, so once again, thank you for these tests you are doing.

Offline badon

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2011, 02:08:46 PM »
"Pictures are handy

Of course, a picture is worth a thousand words, so it would also be helpful to include screenshots of the website where this sighting is found. It will make it much easier for readers to follow what you're talking about, especially after the website changes. "

i.e you want people to copy paste the screenshot from the ebay auction?? if not, the picture of the coin will disapear once ebay has removed the item? BUT, how interesting is such a photo anyway... I would belivbe that the most interesting feature of the specimen pages are to be able to track the turnover, geography and price development of that particular coin? Or should we assume that when the coin first is registered as a specimen it is from the owner, thus he will provide photos once he registers the specimen? (and not like now, where I am just trying things out and as soon as I see one from the type I register it both as a specimen (without photo since it is not my coin) and then as a sighting because I want to build up as much sales data as possible....)

The purpose for the screenshots is to prove that the sighting is accurate and really occurred. With so much data in the CC, it will take a while for everything to be checked by someone, and since Ebay listings are completely deleted after 90 days, there is not much time for everything to be checked. With a screenshot, the information can be checked any time.

For example, I noticed that one of the coins you had entered had the wrong certification number. Since the ebay listing is still active, I was able to check it and correct the mistake. If the ebay listing had expired without a screenshot, there would be no way to check that info.

Also, I plan on automating the screenshot process so all you have to do is enter in the info, and the system will automatically go and get a screenshot, and then add it to the listing. That will help protect people's privacy too, because ebay screenshots usually show their ebay username. The automatic system screenshots will show no ebay user name.

Offline badon

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2011, 02:14:40 PM »
I should add that without screenshots, it would be easier for someone to put in fake data to manipulate pricing. When all the data gets checked eventually, anything that looks suspicious can be marked as having a problem. That reminds me, I forgot to add the "problem" feature to the sightings. I'll do that.

With the "problem" feature, people wanting to see charts of prices can choose to leave out all sightings that are marked as having a problem. That way, we can still enter the data into the CC, so we have a record of it, without worrying about it skewing the data unnaturally.

One thing to keep in mind - some coins will be getting hundreds of sightings each day. Other coins will only get one each year (or longer). Some coins are only collected by a few people, like researchers looking for varieties no one else cares about. In all those cases, it could be a very long time before someone looks closely at the data to make sure it's correct. As long as we have the screenshots, like in my CCS2 example, the data can be checked any time in the future, and as many times as is needed.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2011, 02:15:02 PM »
CC50 (with sighting CCS13 and certification # 2764488-001) is the same specimen as
CC52 (with sighting CCS15 and certification # 2764488-001)

CC51 (with sighting CC14 and certification # 2764488-002) is a different coin.

Thus CC50 and CC52 are the same coin (duplicates)

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2011, 02:18:13 PM »
CCS15 is with the wrong price....I quoted 299.99, should be 399.99, because it is the same coin as CCS13 (it has not been sold yet... the other coin I bought...

Offline badon

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2011, 02:25:24 PM »
I just added the sighting problem feature. I'll check those specimens and sightings. Thanks for pointing them out. I can now use the problem feature to add another feature that is a link that says "Mark this page for deletion". I will do that later though, while I work on a few other features that will be needed to find all the pages to delete.

Offline badon

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2011, 02:28:28 PM »
CC50 (with sighting CCS13 and certification # 2764488-001) is the same specimen as
CC52 (with sighting CCS15 and certification # 2764488-001)

CC51 (with sighting CC14 and certification # 2764488-002) is a different coin.

Thus CC50 and CC52 are the same coin (duplicates)

It looks like CC52 has the 6 and 7 switched in their certification numbers. Click the "Edit with form" tab at the top of the page to correct the certification number, and let's see if it properly shows up as a duplicate.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2011, 02:32:25 PM »
you are right! the duplicate message turned up... but the sightings are still there...

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2011, 02:33:14 PM »
dont know how to delete CC52 though...

Offline badon

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2011, 03:29:38 PM »
Great, I'm glad it worked. I deleted CC52 and CCS15 for you.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2011, 03:30:29 PM »
thx

Offline badon

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2011, 04:26:04 PM »
Hi Badon, my specialty would be ungraded coins, from late Qing period (but maybe older coins are off topic?). I think I could help with regards to the website security, since this is part of my day job.

Welcome to the Coin Compendium, dragondollar!

Normally I would make a type page for you to get started with, but I know nothing about coins older than the PRC. Once you have a look at the site, you can try making types for older coins, or you can suggest something for me to make for you to get started with.

Offline badon

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2011, 11:26:03 PM »
I probably should have phrased the title of this post differently. "Volunteer" means you have fun playing with the Coin Compendium, and tell me if you notice something that's wrong or could be improved. There isn't anything specific expected of you.

Offline anaiman

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2011, 12:41:04 AM »
Badon -
Count me in as a "tester".  I promise that I will play with it and have fun.  :001_smile:
- anaiman

Offline badon

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2011, 12:58:51 AM »
Welcome to the Coin Compendium anaiman! Let me know if you have any questions or run into anything that can be improved.

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2011, 09:48:08 AM »
Badon,
I too would like to have access to CC to " Play with it ". Thank you.

Russ 736

Offline BobW

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2011, 11:38:39 AM »
Badon,

I would like the opportunity to test run the CC and provide some feedback. Thanks.

BobW

Offline badon

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2011, 10:06:11 PM »
Russ 736 and BobW, welcome to the Coin Compendium! Have fun poking around, and let me know if have any questions or you notice any issues.

Offline notams

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2012, 11:59:38 AM »
Allo Badon, may I join the CC testing foray as well?
I've been lurking in CCF all this while but I'd make it my New Year's resolution to be more active.  :laugh:

Offline badon

« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2012, 08:15:31 PM »
Welcome to the Coin Compendium, notams!

Offline badon

« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2012, 08:21:56 PM »
There's a bug I'm hunting that's affecting the site, so if it's not loading for you, wait a few minutes and try again. While I'm testing the bug, it will make other parts of the site slow. You can stay up on the latest happenings here:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4588.new#new

Offline jwa1inv

• Supporter
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2012, 06:34:43 PM »
Badon,
       I would like to help with Coin Compendium testing. I have been
concentrating on the China's silver historical series and World Cultural
celebrities coins lately, but have pandas, olympics, animals, medals and
some lunars too--only Chinese modern rarities.

jwa1inv

Offline badon

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2012, 06:43:13 PM »
jwa1inv, welcome to the Coin Compendium!

Offline CoinWorld13

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2012, 11:16:41 PM »
The problem lies in the automation of the Coin Compendium. It will display the "official obverse" as the obverse in all of the main photos. I suppose I could code it up to make an exception for coins from China, but then I'd have to ask if there's exceptions to the exceptions. Oh, has anybody figured out which side of the vault protectors is the "obverse"?

Hmm, now that I'm thinking about it, I could call it "Side 1" and "Side 2". Then we can control that for each individual coin, and still easily indicate "obverse" and "reverse" also. I might try that and see how it goes.

That my friend may be the best way to do it. That way you can take the "official mint" standpoint to satisfy everyone who sticks to that point, but still be able to satisfy everyone else as well with the sides. That way if there are any other exceptions to the exceptions it still can easily be viewed and labeled. I for one like this idea.
Regards,
CoinWorld13

Offline CoinWorld13

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2012, 11:31:20 PM »
Badon, I was on page one and failed to see the other 5 pages. buynicething and I work as a team on lots of thigs with Chinese Coins and Medals. Personally I could give a collectors and investors standpoint with it. buynicething would be able to do much much more. He is a genious with collecting data and is a genious with sets and varieties. We currently use many sites, and we could give you a "team" perspective. Let us know if this could help. Obviously our help could turn into just about anything once on the inside. personally I am very excited to see how well I could do with it. As you know I have experience, but am not the most technical person in the world. I could give you perspective on user friendliness and this sort of thing too. Thank for your consideration.
Regards,
CoinWorld13

Offline badon

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2012, 11:44:10 PM »
That my friend may be the best way to do it. That way you can take the "official mint" standpoint to satisfy everyone who sticks to that point, but still be able to satisfy everyone else as well with the sides. That way if there are any other exceptions to the exceptions it still can easily be viewed and labeled. I for one like this idea.

I have decided to go with the standard numismatic definition of obverse and reverse. That definition is nearly 400 years old, and easy to understand once you know the definition. The decreed definition of the China Mint is based on the die positions, which isn't standard and will have to be called the "China Mint obverse" and "China Mint reverse", or something like that.

Badon, I was on page one and failed to see the other 5 pages. buynicething and I work as a team on lots of thigs with Chinese Coins and Medals. Personally I could give a collectors and investors standpoint with it. buynicething would be able to do much much more. He is a genious with collecting data and is a genious with sets and varieties. We currently use many sites, and we could give you a "team" perspective. Let us know if this could help. Obviously our help could turn into just about anything once on the inside. personally I am very excited to see how well I could do with it. As you know I have experience, but am not the most technical person in the world. I could give you perspective on user friendliness and this sort of thing too. Thank for your consideration.

Welcome to the Coin Compendium!

Offline noomahn1

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2012, 05:17:25 PM »
Badon-

Would love to have access to the Coin Compendium.  At least to add to the God of War/Wealth section. 

--noomahn

Offline badon

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2012, 05:48:19 PM »
Welcome to the WHOLE Coin Compendium! The section for the God of War & Wealth starts here:

http://www.CC/w/index.php/CCT2

Offline Zinger

• New
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2012, 07:34:17 PM »
Hi. Long time listener first time caller. It would be interesting to poke around the coin compendium.

Offline fishball

• Pandawiki™
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2012, 07:42:37 PM »
I'd be interested to see the CC too, especially the 'secret' pertaining to the God of War & Wealth haha.

I'm no big time collector but have a mixed variety of MCC in OMP and slabs.

Thanks.

Currently looking for MS69 1oz Silver Pandas - feel free to PM me.
Also buying 1997 Hong Kong $1000 Gold Coin BOX + COA - please PM thank you.

Offline badon

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »
Welcome to the Coin Compendium, Zinger and fishball! You're just in time too, there was a new discovery only a few minutes ago!

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2012, 08:10:57 PM »
Got some free time lately.  So I would love to look around the CC and hopefully able to contribute in some way.

Offline badon

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2012, 08:20:03 PM »
Welcome to the Coin Compendium, PandaOrLunar!

Offline Panda Express

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2012, 08:25:23 PM »
Badon, Can you kindly add me in the Coin Compendium.  Although I'm relatively new to the forum, I have a fond interest in the Medals, and I'm in the process of completion of one my favorite rare Medal sets. Incidentally, one of my employees works part-time for me as a server manager for my office. We meet quite often and he can point any technical problems if anything arises.  :thumbup:

Thanks.

Offline badon

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2012, 08:50:18 PM »
Welcome to the Coin Compendium, Panda Express! Press-ganging your unfortunate employees to help you in your hobbies, eh? Haha, I think we all do that :)

Offline Panda Express

« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2012, 08:55:14 PM »
Don't worry Badon, I usually return in kind. Have a great day!

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2012, 09:09:50 PM »
Not sure how I did it, but CC1411 and CC1412 are both pointed to the same specimen, 3540797-016, but without the indication of duplicates.

3540797-016 found entered as CC1411, CC1412, type [[ | ]]. '.

Offline badon

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2012, 09:49:20 PM »
It looks like you found a rare bug that occurred when you reused the same form twice, probably by using your browser's back button. It was a problem from the beginning, and I had it on my to-do list to fix, but I was procrastinating until the problem actually happened. It is fixed now. It will take a few minutes for the site to update and show the duplicate correctly. Once I have verified it, I will delete the duplicate.

Good find, SANDAC!

Offline glgehman001

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2012, 10:37:40 PM »
I would be interested in volunteering to help test or if you need PCGS Panda pictures etc.

Been a lurker here, but in IT by profession although still without one of those, so I could definitely help out and do something constructive  :001_smile:

Thanks,
G

Offline badon

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2012, 10:52:59 PM »
Welcome to the Coin Compendium, glgehman001!

Offline glgehman001

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2012, 11:04:37 PM »
Thanks!

And I look nothing like David Spade.   :001_huh:

G

Offline badon

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2012, 09:28:14 PM »
Images needed! We're entering in data for all the different coin types, but we don't know what all the coins are until they get images. If you have some you want to share, you can upload it yourself, or just make it available to us so someone else can do it.

Thanks!

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2012, 09:32:08 PM »
Are there official coin images from China mints that we can use as place holders?

Offline badon

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2012, 10:33:03 PM »
I'm not sure, there might be. I'm uploading some MDM COA's which have images, but I don't think the ones I have are enough to be useful, since you have already uploaded very good images for most of the COA's I have.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2012, 11:03:36 PM »
Love the way you did CCT2.  A nice summary of the varieties with pictures.  A tally of the various varieties on the same line is genius.  I'm going to plagiarize that script and use it on all my historical figures.

Offline badon

« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2012, 11:22:30 PM »
Go for it! It should look very nice once you are done. There are a LOT of historical figures to keep track of!

Offline badon

« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2012, 11:55:39 PM »
I just made CCT2 even more awesome. It now calculates grade rarity too. I may simplify that code later, so it's easier to use.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2012, 12:07:02 AM »
unbe-freaking-livable!  Very useful capability.  After the database is populated, I want to answer two questions.  1.  What's the percentage distribution of grade from 1979 to now, and 2. What's the percentage distribution of "blind submission" where dealers submit large quantity of coins without first filtering them. 

Offline badon

« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2012, 12:50:34 AM »
I just started adding code to have it automatically generate mintage estimates and maximum possible 69+ grade estimates, and then I realized my code was a mess. I need to spend more time planning that, and then I can add that code to ALL types. At one glance, you will know all the important facts about each type in the entire Coin Compendium! Those are facts that no one has had easy access to before.

Never before in the history of numismatics has so much information been available...and it's not even out of testing yet! Nearly any important fact you want to know can be easily mined out of this monstrous database. One thing I'd like to see is a chart of the rate that counterfeits appear. It should be a useful tool for identifying a big counterfeiting operation, and pushing it out of the market.

Speaking of that, I added a newly identified fakes list near the top of the main page. That should help to quickly alert people if fakes are hitting the market for coins they buy. I..I..I think I'm in LOVE! Happy Valentine's Day!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2012, 09:59:21 AM »
Hi Badon:  Can I get on the CC list?  Would like to focus on medals and other rare mint coins.  Only have 1 yr experience but will help when possible.  Need to learn how to upload photos and all that too......Thanks....pandamonium

Offline j.howl

• New
« Reply #90 on: February 29, 2012, 05:04:53 AM »
Hi Badon and everyone.  I new here and very new to the numismatic coins world.  Can I get on the CC list as well?  Not sure how I can help but will try my best.  I can read/ translate Chinese if that's useful? :)  Cheers!

Offline CS

« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »
I would like to volunteer. By the way could you explain further the concept of sighting?

Offline jack92029

• New
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2012, 10:50:16 AM »
I am interested in joining the testing and discussions. My primary interest is NGC Pandas.

Thank you

Offline YoungC

« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2012, 08:22:55 PM »
Hi Badon
  May I have a login to the CC also? I can do some entries when I find the time.

Thanks

Offline dragondollar

« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2012, 12:10:43 AM »
Hi Badon, the Coin compendium has become an impressive database already. I especially love the annotation feature. I'd like to know if you are interested in using it for older Chinese coins as well? I don't see a category for coins older than 1949. Is it OK if I create one and start registering my NGC graded coins?

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2012, 12:13:12 AM »
Ooooo, I know you are addressing badon, but may I jump in?  I would LOVE, LLLOOOVE, to have you and KONDi work on the older Chinese coins.  That would be truly wonderful.

Offline badon

« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2012, 12:21:12 AM »
Hi Badon, the Coin compendium has become an impressive database already. I especially love the annotation feature. I'd like to know if you are interested in using it for older Chinese coins as well? I don't see a category for coins older than 1949. Is it OK if I create one and start registering my NGC graded coins?

Absolutely! The only remaining reason that I don't collect the older coins is because there's so little publicly available information about them. If you want me to help drive prices up for the coins in your collection, please add info about them to the CC. Do you already have an account, or do you need one?

Offline dragondollar

« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2012, 12:22:10 AM »
Hehe thanks, I'm very interested in the project as well, and I think I can start contributing more meaningfully now that I'm slabbing my collection. I find most of the catalogues (L&M, Kann) are too coarse, and I like how the CC allows to easily track interesting varieties and rarity.

Offline dragondollar

« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2012, 12:23:24 AM »
I already have an account, even if it didn't see much use until now.

Offline badon

« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2012, 12:24:53 AM »
I'm going to be watching with great excitement and anticipation as you add info about the older coins. They are fascinating, and an excellent investment.

Offline dragondollar

« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2012, 12:28:06 AM »
Another question: I saw your post about © on the pictures. Is it OK to use pictures from auction houses if one owns the coin depicted, or do we need to make pictures ourself to keep clear of any © claim that may arise? If so, I may upgrade my gear, the little Sony point&shoot will not cut it.

Offline badon

« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2012, 12:48:41 AM »
If the photos were taken by the auction house, the photos belong to the auction house, even if the coin is/was yours. You might be able to "buy" the non-exclusive copyright to the photos just by making it a condition of your submitting more coins for them to auction for you. Non-exclusive copyright means they can continue to use their photos, while they give you ownership of them too.

Then, you can transfer your copyright ownership to the CC, and make the whole world happy :)

Offline dragondollar

« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2012, 12:54:37 AM »
I don't know how to add new countries in the system? It would be useful to add "Imperial China", "Republic of China" as countries.

For older coins, I think the following category tree should be added:

Imperial China (221 BC to AD 1912)
|_ Guang Xu Era (1875 to 1908)
|_ Xuan Tong Era (1908 to 1912)
|_ Empire of China (1915 to 1916)

Republic of China (1912 to today)

Offline YoungC

« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »
I was browsing through the lunar series and noticed that the 1 Oz silver coins may need some better organization.

For example, both CCT854(40mm ox) and CCT855 (32mm Ox) are subtype of CCT853 (1997 1 oz silver lunar ox) which is in turn a subtype of CCT720 (1988 to 1999 1 oz silver lunar 12 coin set). The 1988-1999 series is the piedfort 32mm series. CCT854 should not be under that series. So, maybe CCT853 should NOT be a subtype of CCT720. If there is a need for the CCT853 1997 lunar ox type, maybe it should be directly under Silver Lunar or 1 Oz Silver Lunar.

the lunar series is rather complicated. There are 6 "types/series" of 1 Oz silver lunar
Below are the subtypes currently available when I search 1 Oz silver lunar.

* 32mm 1 Oz piedfort round 1988 to 1999  (CCT720)
      ** CCT855 (Ox)
   * 40mm 1 Oz round 1997 - 2008 (CCT721) (CT736)
      ** CCT854 (Ox)
   * 40mm 1 Oz round 2009 -  (CCT737 should be renamed)
   * 1Oz flower 2001 -  (CCT729 should be renamed)
      ** CCT974 (rat)
      ** CCT975 (dog)
      ** CCT1069 (Ox)
      ** CCT1123 (pig)
   * 1 Oz fan 2001 -  (CCT732)
      ** CCT899 (monkey)
      ** CCT966 (horse)
      ** CCT978 (snake)
   * 1 Oz colorized round 1998 -
      ** CCT953 (dragon)
      ** CCT982 (snake)

It would be nice to have the types completely filled out and organized in a tree structure when we click the "show subtypes"

Under silver lunar, there are also additional series
   15g round 1981-1992 (CCT 706) that is fully organized
   2/3 Oz flower 1993-2004 (CCT 728) - My book shows the series should be 1988-2000
   5Oz round 1987-1999
   5Oz rectangle 2000-
   12Oz round 1993-1999
   1Kg round 2002-

tamo42

« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2012, 02:38:34 PM »
I was browsing through the lunar series and noticed that the 1 Oz silver coins may need some better organization.

It would be nice to have the types completely filled out and organized in a tree structure when we click the "show subtypes"

I agree, and we're getting there :).

Offline YoungC

« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2012, 04:13:28 PM »
So, is anyone putting in the place holder types for the silver lunars?
If not, I am willing to put in some time.
Is it possible to move a subtype to help the organization?

Offline badon

« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2012, 04:23:28 PM »
YoungC, no one is working on them right now, as far as I know. tamo42 and I were just talking about them - we don't know enough to do it right, so you can help.

Yes, you can move a subtype. All you need to do is change the type that it belongs to in the "Type" field of the "Edit with form" page. It might be a good idea to start a discussion about the lunars so everyone can tell us what they know, and we can use their info to organize the CC's lunars and start adding specimens, sightings, images, and maybe varieties if we can find any.

Offline YoungC

« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2012, 04:55:03 PM »
OK. I started a new topic on the silver lunar series.

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=5271

Let's see whether there are any interest. :001_smile:

Banon,
  Can a type be a subtype of 2 different types? In other words, is the type structure a tree or can it be different?
For example, can the type "2000 1 Oz 40mm silver dragon" be a subtype of BOTH "40mm 1 Oz round 1997-2008" and "2000 silver lunar"?

Offline badon

« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2012, 05:23:22 PM »
Yes, that is correct. However, we don't want to add more types than needed, because it greatly complicates things. So, instead of also adding the type to "2000 silver lunar", it might be better to concentrate on getting the basics all added before we get creative with building out a web of types.

Offline Thor122

« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2012, 09:11:59 PM »
Badon. Tamo saw to me. I can request a account to help with the coin compendium. Im collecting mcc but specially pandas silver and silvers unicorns ngc 69 or 70. Im in argentina

Offline badon

« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2012, 09:21:32 PM »
Welcome to the Coin Compendium, Thor122!

Offline badon

« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2012, 10:05:56 PM »

Ooooo, I know you are addressing badon, but may I jump in?  I would LOVE, LLLOOOVE, to have you and KONDi work on the older Chinese coins.  That would be truly wonderful.

Great news, we just got permission from KONDi to use his photos!:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=5260.msg33796#msg33796

Once the types and photos are entered, we can get to work on entering sightings. I'm going to need help with that, because I know almost nothing about the older coins, but myself and the other people working the CC can easily enter specimens and sightings for them if you can handle the types and images. What do you think, can you help with that?

Offline Zerosum

« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2012, 11:11:05 AM »
Badon, I'm no expert, but I could probably put in a little work on Lunar Series II silver piedfort coins.