Author Topic: Coin Compendium volunteer testers list  (Read 24990 times)

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
Coin Compendium volunteer testers list
« on: November 29, 2011, 03:40:51 PM »
If you're interested in testing the Coin Compendium, make a post in a reply here with your area of specialty you would like to focus on. The Coin Compendium is going to set the standard for many things. For example, on panda coins, should the Coin Compendium go with the official panda side "reverse" and temple side "obverse" terminology, or is there a good reason to do it differently?

Being a tester means you will have early access to the CC, and you can give your opinion about how you think it should work.

Some example Chinese coin specialties that are currently underrepresented in the testing team:

* unicorns
* world historical figures
* PCGS graded coins
* medals, both obscure and famous
* varieties of all types
* ungraded coins

Other specialties are welcome too, if you want to add yourself to the list for when I decide to grant someone else access to the CC. Even people with no specialty are welcome because you can still tell me things you notice that could be better. When choosing new people to allow early access to the CC, I'll check this list first.

UPDATE:

I probably should have phrased the title of this post differently. "Volunteer" means you have fun playing with the Coin Compendium, and tell me if you notice something that's wrong or could be improved. There isn't anything specific expected of you.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:26:24 PM by badon »

Offline GDG's

• Trade Count: (+4)
Re: Coin Compendium volunteer testers list
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 03:59:56 PM »
#1  The monetary value on the coin is usually the obverse
#2  The grading services slabbed the coins with the Panda being the obverse
#3  The Panda changing each year most collectors like to display their coins with the Panda as the obverse

Just my humble opinion
Good Luck

Offline chinesecoinworks

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 05:06:34 PM »
On the other hand, the Chinese calls the Temple side the obverse.  :confused1:

To me, both sides are equally important where the varieties that can appear on.

Offline GDG's

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »
Yes I know that "Officially" the Temple is the obverse, but even in China they display the Panda not the temple as the obverse.
Where varieties can appear/Large/Small dates also exist on the Panda side as does the monetary value. Since most Chinese collect raw Panda's it shouldn't matter to Chinese as much.
Since the two largest grading companies use the Panda as the obverse I would go with the Panda.
Again just a collectors opinion.

Offline badon

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 10:29:56 PM »
This says that numismatists choose the larger scale, if they don't know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obverse_and_reverse

larger scale means "more zoomed in". So, on a lincoln memorial cent, the side where you can see Lincoln the best is the "obverse" and the side where he's a tiny statue inside the Lincoln memorial building is the reverse. I think that's reasonable, and if that's the convention everyone prefers, we can go with that. I wonder if China puts their most revered figures like Mao on the obverse or reverse?

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 10:52:47 PM »
I look up what Krause considers obverse and reverse and what NGC considers obverse and reverse.  They are opposite of each other!  Doesn't look like this issue can be settle easily.  Sigh!

Offline badon

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 11:32:59 PM »
Another "issue" is "issuer". The People's Bank of China issues legal tender - but what about CGCI? Are they an "issuer" too? If so, what's the difference between an "issuer" and a distributor? In addition, what counts as an "official" distributor?

low

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 12:28:27 AM »
Another "issue" is "issuer". The People's Bank of China issues legal tender - but what about CGCI? Are they an "issuer" too? If so, what's the difference between an "issuer" and a distributor? In addition, what counts as an "official" distributor?

http://www.chngc.net/Main/D_TEXT/GGJJ.aspx

China Gold Coin Incorporation was established in 1987, it is the only professional company dealing with precious metal commemorative coins directly affiliated to the People’s Bank of China. China Gold Coin Incorporation also fulfills the function of issuing precious metal commemorative coins, which is an important component and business extension of the currency issuance function of the People’s Bank of China, meanwhile an indispensable supporting system of the money issuing of the Central Bank.

Offline badon

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 01:16:41 AM »
That's first-class service from low, thank you. So, it appears the People's Bank of China "issues" currency to CGCI, and they are in turn the "issuer" of the coins themselves.

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 01:20:11 AM »
#1  The monetary value on the coin is usually the obverse
#2  The grading services slabbed the coins with the Panda being the obverse
#3  The Panda changing each year most collectors like to display their coins with the Panda as the obverse

Just my humble opinion
Good Luck
I actually disagree with point #1.  The obverse of US coins generally have the DATE.  Often times the denomination is on the reverse.  I believe that the Chinese have the Pagoda as the Obverse because that is where the date is minted.

For some examples of US coins with the date on the Obverse and the denomination as the reverse look at the Indian Head Penny, Lincoln Penny, V nickles, Buffalo nickles, Jefferson nickles, mercury dimes, Barber coins, standing liberty quarters, etc.  In fact historically almost all US coins have the date on the obverse and the denomination printed on the reverse.

I think from a technical standpoint, the obverse is likely the Pagoda.  From a grading / display standpoint I am glad they put the Panda side as the front of the slab.  In that regard I agree with your points 2 and 3.  I guess I just wish the date was minted on the Panda side and then this discussion wouldn't exist.

Offline badon

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 01:24:14 AM »
Maybe we can just call the panda side the "obverse" and the pagoda side the "official obverse". That sounds funny, but I'm serious - we might have to do that just so #1 nobody is confused and #2 everybody is happy.

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 01:27:42 AM »
Maybe we can just call the panda side the "obverse" and the pagoda side the "official obverse". That sounds funny, but I'm serious - we might have to do that just so #1 nobody is confused and #2 everybody is happy.

I think I would stick with the Pagoda as the obverse and panda as reverse.  That is the standard here and in China.  There is no rule that says the obverse has to be displayed or that NGC/PCGS need to have the obverse as the front of the slab.  I think they do it right by putting the panda as the front of the slab.  It can still be called the reverse.  I think "obverse" and "official obverse" would end up being more confusing.

Offline badon

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 01:42:18 AM »
The problem lies in the automation of the Coin Compendium. It will display the "official obverse" as the obverse in all of the main photos. I suppose I could code it up to make an exception for coins from China, but then I'd have to ask if there's exceptions to the exceptions. Oh, has anybody figured out which side of the vault protectors is the "obverse"?

Hmm, now that I'm thinking about it, I could call it "Side 1" and "Side 2". Then we can control that for each individual coin, and still easily indicate "obverse" and "reverse" also. I might try that and see how it goes.

Offline GDG's

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 04:36:59 AM »

Offline peng_you

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 05:38:29 AM »
1.Go w/official obverse
2.You can't make everybody happy.

http://southernpmx.com