The auto-translation system looks promising. My initial estimate of its rate of mistranslation may be 10% to 20% that is similar to my experience with Google Translate. Can anyone offer a better estimate?
What language pair was it? The EN->Simplified Chinese translation is not good. I can only guess at the meaning.
I would say very low. In this whole paragraph "This is where you can put a brief description or full article information about this page. You can delete this line and replace it with your information. Please do not delete anything else", none of the sentences is translated correctly. Even the translation of the last sentence misses "else", which contradicts the previous sentence.
I tried EN->Arabic and it looked really cool. My guess was 10% didn't get translated at all, the other 10% suspect. EN->Chinese (either form) did take some creative guessing for about 20% of the content. If you have to grade the EN->Simplified, what % did it get right?
Arabic is a beautiful written language. Thai and Cambodian scripts are quite attractive too. I wish I could read them :)
I took some time to work out a few details of how the translation system should work. It won't be as simple as I was originally hoping, but I think I have formulated a strategy that should allow translation of most of the site. Thankfully, all the extra time I spent making my code flexible and easy to modify will pay off now, because the translation system will require massive changes in how the site operates. But, it should be straightforward to do, and I might be able to finish it in a few weeks to maybe a month of focused effort. My estimates are usually overly optimistic though :)
The point is that, from a technical point of view, I think the problems I initially ran into can be solved. It will take more study and lots of testing to confirm that, and I will have to evaluate a few other options too, in case another strategy might be better for making the CC "future-proof". The strategy I'm thinking of using now will tie translations to one system. If something goes wrong, and we have to switch to another translation system, it could be a nightmare. I'm going to be careful before I decide to commit the CC to the translation system that I've chosen. So far, I think we should be OK committing to the current translation system. I just want to explore alternatives and plan ahead a little before making the final decision.
I think the translation system is working well enough I can set up a few people as translators, and you can start breaking stuff :) I'll work on that right now, and let you know when I'm done. For testing purposes, please stick to translating only the main page, so when stuff breaks, it will be easier to find it and fix it.
DiggingNorway, do you think Norwegian translations would be helpful? As I understand it, close to 100% of Norwegian speakers also speak English. But, since the CC will probably eventually cover Norwegian coins too, it might be good to at least test Norwegian translations, if you want.