Author Topic: Greetings from Malaysia  (Read 7983 times)

low

• Trade Count: (0)
Greetings from Malaysia
« on: November 16, 2011, 11:35:05 PM »
Hi all,

My name is Low and I am from Malaysia.

Until 2 months ago, I can never imagine I will collect panda coins. Things changed when I stumbled upon Majestic Rarities site while searching for info on an Hong Kong 5 cents coin. From there I learn about pandacollector website, bought the book and subscribed to pricepedia.

Then I bought a couple of panda coins from Larry Dreher (thanks, I am lucky). Love the coins, so I started exploring. I spent few days reading Badon's blog, and go through Tamo42 extensive list. Simply an amazing job from both Badon and Tamo42. I learn so much. Then I spent some time browse through silverstackers forum, and finally I reached here.

My "previous" life was collecting Australian pre-decimal coins. I love NGC holder but I have to settle on PCGS as that is the preferred grading company for Australian collector.

I am happy NGC is preferred for panda coins. Also in this forum I finally found the answer that I always want to know regarding the silver white spot, and NCS.

Before I end this post, maybe I explain this

It looks like someone was paying for the low cert # of 126.

126 read "wan tou shek" or "wan dou sek", means "found food" or "can earn a living" to Cantonese speaking people.

For Malaysian Chinese, 129 is a nice number. It read "Wang Tunai" (cash money).

:001_smile:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:59:55 PM by snowball »

Offline Pandad

Re: Greetings from Malaysia
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 11:53:34 PM »
Welcome, that's some really cool info.   

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 12:49:38 AM »
Welcome low glad to have you join the forum !

Very interesting information here ... like pandad said it's really cool, I enjoy learning these kinds of things.
126 read "wan tou shek" or "wan dou sek", means "found food" or "can earn a living" to Cantonese speaking people.

For Malaysian Chinese, 129 is a nice number. It read "Wang Tunai" (cash money).

Oh and I'm sure many noobs can only wish their first pandas came from a person of larry's caliber !  :001_smile:

low

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 12:58:43 AM »
Thanks Pandad and comeaux.

I honestly doesn't know about Larry when I bought the coins. I am very thankful he sold the coins to me.

On the number, not all "8" are good. "28" means "easy to become wealthy" so it is very popular number. "528" means "difficult to become wealthy" so it is bad number. Generally "5" is not a preferred number.

"16" is "looking for food", and food is important.

For Hokkien speaking people, "6" read "luck"

Different number have different meanings to different people.

:001_smile:

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:07:54 AM »
Generally "5" is not a preferred number.
what if it appears on a 100 yuan gold proof panda minted in the 1990's  :scared:

low

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 01:16:45 AM »
what if it appears on a 100 yuan gold proof panda minted in the 1990's  :scared:

Hahaha. I know a banknotes collector in Singapore who only collect banknotes with "5". For China banknotes, that is "55555555".

Offline larrydreher

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 03:50:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind words.  New collectors like you make me happy to be able to sell pandas.  I relive the excitement all over again when I help someone start their colection.  When I was new, I had help from a few knowledgable collectors who mentored me and I've been honored to do the same for others.

With the advent of great resources like this forum and others, new collectors can get lots of good info from people with varied opinions so they can make up their own minds about the right path for them.

Offline mrslick32

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 08:25:57 PM »
Welcome Low! I'm glad that you've discovered the panda coins. They are very beautiful and well made. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I'd be interested to hear about how popular the panda coins are in Southeast Asia.

I speak a little Hokkien and I believe that by referring to 6 as "luck" you are literally referring to how the number sounds when spoken in Hokkien?

Offline dragonfan

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 08:33:43 PM »
welcome low . . .
Welcome Low! I'm glad that you've discovered the panda coins. They are very beautiful and well made. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I'd be interested to hear about how popular the panda coins are in Southeast Asia.

I speak a little Hokkien and I believe that by referring to 6 as "luck" you are literally referring to how the number sounds when spoken in Hokkien?

Offline ghostrider80811

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 11:45:51 AM »
Welcome to CCF low!

Offline Grip

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 06:14:29 PM »
Great to have you! Welcome aboard our adventure!!

Offline exchange

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 07:04:50 PM »
Welcome Low.

exchange

low

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 11:01:54 PM »
Thanks everyone for your welcome. Appreciate that.

Hi Mrslick32,

Yes you are right.

low

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 11:45:08 PM »
Hi Mrslick32,

Sorry I have no idea about popularity of panda coins in Malaysia. Several years ago there was a large coin shop selling panda coins.

Recently I saw some panda coins at a local jewelry shop.

Offline mrslick32

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 12:02:58 AM »
Hi Mrslick32,

Sorry I have no idea about popularity of panda coins in Malaysia. Several years ago there was a large coin shop selling panda coins.

Recently I saw some panda coins at a local jewelry shop.

If you're starting to see them there then I won't be surprised if the popularity of the panda coins will eventually start to increase. I got hooked after buying my first panda coin.