Author Topic: NCS/NGC Coin Grading 101  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Birddog4588

• Trade Count: (0)
NCS/NGC Coin Grading 101
« on: November 14, 2011, 09:53:35 PM »
I have not sent any coins in for grading and I'm sure there's a lerning curve.  I have a few questions that I searched the site and can't find any easy answers too.

1.  If you have a low chinese mintage coin worth over $2K in perfect OMP including gift boxes should you even have it graded and compromise the OMP.
2.  If the coin is worth over $2-3k should you still send it in and use the under $2-3k flat rate of $20-25.  What if the coin is worth $10k+.
3.  If you send in for flat rate, how do you pack?  Remove and keep OMP and put coin in large flip?
4.  If you have several coins of the same date and grade under $2k, should you send together to get better or worse grading?
5.  If you have a series or set of coins in OMP (like lunars and unicorns) should you grade any or all of them?
6.  And the ultimate debate, which service will yeild the most $$ in long run.

I'm sure ther's a lot of people looking for these answers on one thread so it's worth while taking the time t answer.

Birddig4588 

Offline Batman

Re: NCS/NGC Coin Grading 101
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 10:07:18 PM »
I have not sent any coins in for grading and I'm sure there's a lerning curve.  I have a few questions that I searched the site and can't find any easy answers too.

1.  If you have a low chinese mintage coin worth over $2K in perfect OMP including gift boxes should you even have it graded and compromise the OMP.
2.  If the coin is worth over $2-3k should you still send it in and use the under $2-3k flat rate of $20-25.  What if the coin is worth $10k+.
3.  If you send in for flat rate, how do you pack?  Remove and keep OMP and put coin in large flip?
4.  If you have several coins of the same date and grade under $2k, should you send together to get better or worse grading?
5.  If you have a series or set of coins in OMP (like lunars and unicorns) should you grade any or all of them?
6.  And the ultimate debate, which service will yeild the most $$ in long run.

I'm sure ther's a lot of people looking for these answers on one thread so it's worth while taking the time t answer.

Birddig4588 

Answers for NGC submissions:

1) That's a personal choice
2) The value is for return insurance purposes.  If the coin is lost in the mail, NGC will only insure for the value you put on the submission form.  Understating value is not worth the risk.
3) Keep OMP
4) The best coin should yield the better result.  You can use this to your advantage
5) That's a personal choice
6) If you're referring to NGC over PCGS, don't know

Offline badon

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:16:05 PM »
Generally, there are very few coins where there's a significant motivation to keep them in original mint packaging. Even those coins will often bring more money graded. Of course, if your coins are low grade, it'll often sell for more to gamblers hoping to find a nice coin for a bargain price that they can send in for grading themselves.

Don't take your coins out of the packaging, let NCS do it. Put in BIG capital letters at the top of your submission form "RETURN CAPSULES". They don't guarantee they'll send them back, but as long as you write it big enough, they'll do it. I've never asked them to send back plastic pouches, so I don't know how that would go if you wanted that back for some reason.

Flat rate is a good deal. Some people low-ball their value estimates to get better pricing, but as NCS builds up it's database of coin values, that stops working. And, of course, they only insure the value you declare.

The more coins you send in, the better. Submissions of hundreds of coins are more likely to get some 70 grades.

PCGS is trying to catch up to NGC, but right now, NGC is the better choice. PCGS is making some gains in high-end gold, for the best quality stuff that dealers have. In that instance, PCGS is sort of acting as the "premium" grading service. If you have those kind of coins, maybe it's worth considering PCGS, but I don't myself because NGC has the advantage overall. The few dealers that prefer PCGS are pretty specific about which coins get PCGS, and for which buyers. If you're not that picky about it, stick to NGC as the safe choice.

As far as the long run goes, NGC is so entrenched, I'm sure they're going to be the #1 in China for a long, long time. However, most of us are rooting for PCGS and maybe even ANACS to catch up so they can give NGC some serious competition. We'll see if that ever happens or not.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 10:23:45 PM »
NGC is the better choice

Look at the upcoming Champion Hong Kong auction, like I said there are 100’s of high value Chinese coins and many in the $50,000 to $500,000 price range … ALL of them that are graded are NGC.

Offline badon

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 10:26:45 PM »
WOW! That's amazing, I haven't looked at the auction yet, and I didn't realize they had penetrated the market so completely already. I honestly thought it would have taken longer to get to 100%. Thanks for the info comeaux.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 10:29:17 PM »
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=4490.msg24458;topicseen#msg24458

Thanks badon ... yea I posted this a while ago ... this was only a few of the coins but there are literally 100's of very high value NGC graded coins listed on the auction.  :001_smile:

Offline Pandad

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 10:34:30 PM »
Will one of you guys post the Champion Auction link.  I don't know exactly where to go to view the auction list.
Thanks Joe

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 10:36:21 PM »
http://www.cghka.com/english/index.htm

correction ... I just re-checked more thoroughly and there are maybe 10 or 15 PCGS but about 98% of the graded coins are NGC

Offline Pandad

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 10:45:47 PM »
Thanks

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 10:48:42 PM »
when you get to the modern chinese coins on page 46 or 47 then that is where you will only see maybe 2 or 3 PCGS from there to the end on page 63

Offline Birddog4588

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 12:46:30 AM »
Thanks badon but can you elaborate on the "few exceptions".  I have two oz gold/silver Dragon/Phoeinix 2coin set 2+2 OMP that I can't decide what to do with.  Also have 1998-2000 kilo's OMP.

Birddog4588

Offline badon

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 12:49:59 AM »
I linked that post to the calendar, thanks for posting it comeaux.

Offline badon

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 12:52:33 AM »
Thanks badon but can you elaborate on the "few exceptions".  I have two oz gold/silver Dragon/Phoeinix 2coin set 2+2 OMP that I can't decide what to do with.  Also have 1998-2000 kilo's OMP.

Birddog4588

The gold dragon & phoenix set comes with a nice wood box. It's one of the sets that people like to keep original, but as usual, only for lower grade specimens. The dragon & phoenix is hard to get in 69 grade, but if yours earns it, it adds several thousand dollars to its value. I've seen them recently for around $22,000 for the gold one.

Offline Pandagongzi

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 08:04:38 PM »
If submit 1988 Hongkong gold metal to NCS/NGC,  how much will they charge?

Offline Pandagongzi

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 01:36:56 AM »
If submit 1988 Hongkong gold metal to NCS/NGC,  how much will they charge?

I guess with last one sold for before 3K.  It's OK to NCS it by using premium+ membership coupon now.