Author Topic: Great Wall 1984 3.3 oz. Silver Medal - Two Versions  (Read 101360 times)

Offline mmissinglink

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Great Wall 1984 3.3 oz. Silver Medal - Two Versions
« Reply #285 on: October 14, 2018, 09:06:56 PM »
Thanks for the interesting info.

I've only submitted coins and medals to NGC because I don't want to pay for membership to more than 1 grading firm and NGC has, in my view, done a good job for me.

The 1 thing that PCGS may currently have going better than NGC (but that will likely change) is PCGS's virtually air tight holders. For preservation over the long term, this seems to be a big plus.....though I do wonder how long the actual plastic of the holders remains viable before it starts to decay, crack, and disintegrate.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #286 on: October 14, 2018, 09:29:21 PM »
Thanks for the interesting info.

I've only submitted coins and medals to NGC because I don't want to pay for membership to more than 1 grading firm and NGC has, in my view, done a good job for me.

The 1 thing that PCGS may currently have going better than NGC (but that will likely change) is PCGS's virtually air tight holders. For preservation over the long term, this seems to be a big plus.....though I do wonder how long the actual plastic of the holders remains viable before it starts to decay, crack, and disintegrate.

Aren't PCGS's slabs supposed to the more problematic ones or have they introduced better quality slabs? Just asking for clarification.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #287 on: October 14, 2018, 09:42:50 PM »
For modern Chinese gold and silver PCGS slab cause coins to tone faster and make them very unattractive.  Maybe the airtight holders trap the contamination and destroy coins quicker than if the holder allowed the coins to breathe.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #288 on: October 15, 2018, 07:04:30 AM »
1984 PF 67  Great Wall                   -bid-                      Ebay 292769153379...

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #289 on: October 15, 2018, 07:21:08 AM »
What is the NGC and PCGS total pop for these Great Walls?.......

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #290 on: November 03, 2018, 02:27:52 PM »
As many of you probably do, I visit other coin and/or precious metals forums.

Just a moment ago, I saw a new post in the SilverStackers forum (under the Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions section ) that is quite relevant to this thread. The post reads:

On October 21st I received a message from eBay based of of a saved search request. The message informed me that an item just became available for purchase on eBay. When I clicked the link, to my surprise, the item had already sold.

This is the item: "
1984 China Great Wall Proof Silver Medal in Box No Heros Sealed
" ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-China...917930?hash=item5b4e506e6a:g:LKkAAOSwctJb0IDu ).

My question is: is this a genuine of fake item? The reason I ask is not because something looks obviously wrong with the medal itself, but rather because I am not aware that these medals ever came issued in plastic pouches back in 1984. I'm aware that there are allegedly fakes of this rare type of medal out there....and based on the fact that this item sold for about $2,500, I'm very much concerned that perhaps yet another fake may have just been sold.

If for some reason you are unable to see the auction listing, then let me know and I'll share the auction photos here in this thread.

Any and all thoughts regarding this are welcome.

https://www.silverstackers.com/forums/index.php?threads/genuine-or-fake-rare-great-wall-medal.90204/

The person raises a good question and point. Is that a fake or genuine Great Wall medal?

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #291 on: November 04, 2018, 08:16:34 AM »
I have no clue if it is fake or not.     The seller has rare Chinese on occasion.     The seller has a XRF gun and Acoustic Velocity Tester to see if medal is real or plate.     Unusual for this seller to not allow the coin/medal to run its course on ebay.      I posted this sale on badon's site as well....

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #292 on: November 08, 2018, 04:48:08 PM »
What is the NGC and PCGS total pop for these Great Walls?.......

We should keep in mind that because it does happen that on occasion some coins and medals are crossed over and re-slabbed from NGC to PCGS and visa versa, that the actual numbers of medals that exist may not be accurately reflected by totaling (adding) the population numbers provided by PCGS and NGC.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #293 on: November 10, 2018, 07:35:18 AM »
I agree, same as w/ the 84 silver pagodas and other MCC.    What are the NGC and PCGS pop numbers for the 84 Great Wall?...

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #294 on: November 10, 2018, 06:46:36 PM »
Pop numbers are a bit tricky to derive at since, at least with NGC, they were labeling both the Beacon Tower and Plum Flower Great Wall silver medals as "1984" for a while. I believe they have since started labeling the Beacon Tower as "1987" but I am not 100% certain.

I'm not sure if PCGS used or is still using a similar naming convention.