Author Topic: Great Wall 1984 3.3 oz. Silver Medal - Two Versions  (Read 101658 times)

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Great Wall 1984 3.3 oz. Silver Medal - Two Versions
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2012, 09:32:51 AM »
Ha!  Its true.  One of my new collectors did take sandpaper to a 1994 SD? OMP and I showed him an ebay asking sale price of $8,000 for a MS 70.  He still moans about it.  I doubt NGC will hire him.............

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »
Sandpaper....seriously? Hard to believe. Even I, who several years ago knew nothing about depreciating a coins value if cleaning it, would not ever have considered using sandpaper on a coin. I'm feeling better already.   :001_smile:

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »
Sandpaper....seriously? Hard to believe. Even I, who several years ago knew nothing about depreciating a coins value if cleaning it, would not ever have considered using sandpaper on a coin. I'm feeling better already.   :001_smile:
You were not that wrong in cleaning it. You just did not use the right stuff, like eZest. But NGC can easily catch a cleaned Great Wall because there are so few of them.

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2012, 11:48:28 AM »
I will not clean any coin or medal from here on in even though I appreciate the eZest suggestion. One bad experience is enough for me.   :blush:

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2012, 01:32:12 PM »
I would agree with a few of the other posters here that your best option would be to get it graded by NGC.  If you try to sell it as is and disclose the polishing as you sell it, the uncertainty of the extent of the damage will bring in lower offers.

By having it graded, you will remove the uncertainty that you and a potential buyer may have.

Also if you do not have plans to grade any coins in the future, you could possibly talk with a local coin dealer that you trust and see if they would submit the coin for you using their account and paying them a small fee.  Just a thought if sending it in yourself seems like a daunting task.

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2012, 04:28:17 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. Earlier today, after speaking with a customer service agent at NGC, I purchased a paid membership (associate level) to NGC. I like the idea of checking in with a local coin dealer but as I'd already purchased a membership this morning, I suppose the idea is moot.

I noticed that NGC does offer some sort of conservation service (additional cost of course)....is this something worth having done before having them grade and encase it?

Any and all thoughts on this are welcome.

Thank you.

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2012, 10:31:57 PM »

I noticed that NGC does offer some sort of conservation service (additional cost of course)....is this something worth having done before having them grade and encase it?

Yes, NGC does have a separate conservation side of the business called NCS.  As a general rule I think NCS is a quality service especially if the coin has toning or other issues.  The challenge will be the price.  If you submit coins that you value at under $300 then you can get a combination NCS / NGC grading for $26.50 plus a small extra fee (can't remember the exact fee) for the oversized holder that a 3.3 oz coin requires.  This service usually requires 5 coins minimum, however from my experience they don't seem too strict on this.

If you are comfortable putting the value at $300 then I would recommend sending it through NCS.  Just remember this will be the insured value and replacement value if there was any problem at NCS or in return to you.

If you decide to declare a higher value for the coin it will end up being 5% of the declared value assuming it is deemed authentic for NCS conservation.  Plus the NGC grading fee of $16.50 + oversized reholder fee.  

If you decide to send it directly to NGC it will only be $16.50 plus the oversized holder fee.

My opinion is declare $300 value and NCS / NGC it since at that price it isn't that much more expensive ($10 more than just NGC).  Especially since the value is hard to peg because of the possible damage.  Although the value is likely much higher than $300.  I am a bit of a risk taker in this regard I suppose.

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »
Obsidian,  thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to consider them. I will post updates here as I have something worth sharing and when I do finally receive this beautiful medal back from NGC, I will post all the details here...with pictures of course!

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2012, 12:00:36 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion. Earlier today, after speaking with a customer service agent at NGC, I purchased a paid membership (associate level) to NGC. I like the idea of checking in with a local coin dealer but as I'd already purchased a membership this morning, I suppose the idea is moot.

Any and all thoughts on this are welcome.

Thank you.

My recommendation will be to contact your local NGC dealer. Let NGC dealer examine the coin before submitting to NGC. Actually,the toning on you coin is very attractive in picture. It may increase the value of this coin. All knowledgeable NGC dealer can make recommendation if this coin needs conservation or graded as is. Just remember, you coin has a value of 4 figures and the first number is not 1, even in XF condition.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2012, 12:08:45 AM »

Just remember, you coin has a value of 4 figures and the first number is not 1, even in XF condition.

WOW !!! poconopenn, I think you just got mmissinglink excited. :0)  Early Christmas for him.

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2012, 01:49:41 AM »
WOW !!! poconopenn, I think you just got mmissinglink excited. :0)  Early Christmas for him.

dynamike, everyone deserves a bit of luck once in their life...finally I got my small piece of it. Years of collecting comic books and trading cards has not amounted to much return in the end at all.   :-)

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2012, 01:53:49 AM »
My recommendation will be to contact your local NGC dealer. Let NGC dealer examine the coin before submitting to NGC. Actually,the toning on you coin is very attractive in picture. It may increase the value of this coin. All knowledgeable NGC dealer can make recommendation if this coin needs conservation or graded as is. Just remember, you coin has a value of 4 figures and the first number is not 1, even in XF condition.

Thanks for the suggestion poconopenn. I have serious doubts that NGC will be anywhere near as helpful as the members here. I will call them anyway and ask if I can send them a link to the photos of my medal in the hope that they might suggest to have the medal restored or not. My guess is that they will not oblige me in this but I will ask nonetheless.

Offline Gilmore

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2012, 01:59:55 AM »
Hi mmissinglink,
You bought a medal for its beauty without really knowing what it is. At the end it turns out to be an extreme rarity of very high value. It can't get any better than this. I am very happy for you.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2012, 07:49:44 AM »
Great purchase missinglink.  Consider how much it went up in value.  Now consider purchasing other MCC or maybe your family members can look into collecting............

Offline mmissinglink

« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2012, 09:05:43 AM »
Pandamonium,  thank you. Now forgive my ignorance but what is MCC?