Author Topic: Fatman dollar 1914-common but rare...  (Read 73636 times)

Offline Dave82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
Re: Fatman dollar 1914-common but rare...
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2014, 09:33:25 AM »
Hi Kondi,

I'm wondering if you can help me with the identification and value of the attached Fat Man dollar. My Mum handed me a bag of old coins and asked me to "get rid of them" in amongst them was this one - It's taken me ages to identify what it is ... I'm not a collector, and don't really know the first thing about coins having found and read this thread I even more daunted. The only thing I can say about it is that it was given to my mum around 1950 when she was working in a bank. Any info gratefully received. Thanks Dave

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2014, 12:30:53 PM »
Hello Dave,

It is my pleasure to answer your questions. Your coin it's a Chinese dollar from 1914. On obverse it shows a bust of Yuan Shih Kai. Above there are 6 Chinese characters which stand for year (the first one from left side), then we have chinese character 3 which refer to a date (the 3rd year) abd finally 4 chinese characters which mean Republic of China (Republic of China dated from 1911 to 1949). So if you will add year 3 + 1911 you will have a date when this coin was issued. Simple isn't it? In US they call this coin Fatman dollar, in China it's called Yuan Shih Kai dollar or Big Head. It is common variety from 1914. In my humble opinion this coin is genuine in F-VF condition. On the reverse it has 2 chinese characters which mean "yi yuan" - one dollar, but I guess you knew that before:). About the value of this coin is that what collector is willing to pay. You can send me email: cfrost1984@gmail.com , I might have a customer for your Fatman dollar.

I hope my answer helped you somehow.

Best wishes from Shanghai,

KONDi
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2014, 06:04:09 AM »
Hi, Kondi

Long time since our last communication. As you may be aware, I still enjoy acquiring old silver coins from China from time to time, and I like to discuss with you when I got a special type of YSK. 

Attached you will see 6 pieces of YSK, which I believe they are all different variety. The third one at the upper right should be a Shandong variety if I remember correctly. The third one at the lower right, I still don't know which variety it would be. The rest, I have no idea but I think they are all common variety.

What do you think?

Best regards from Bangkok,

Happycoins II   

Offline Juno Moneta

• www.Moneta-Coins.com
    • Temple of Juno Moneta
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2014, 07:24:07 PM »
I have this YSK 20 Cents that was PCGS certified and further attributed as Communist Chinese issue - Comments Wanted!

http://www.moneta-coins.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1767&title=yuan-shi-kai-20-cents&cat=556

JM
"I wouldn't join a club that would have a person like me as a member" - G. Marx

Offline Juno Moneta

• www.Moneta-Coins.com
    • Temple of Juno Moneta
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2014, 07:31:05 PM »
Posting my example of a Sinkiang manufactured YSK $ - comments PLEASE!

http://www.moneta-coins.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=475&title=yuan-shi-kaisinkiang-issue&cat=556

JM
"I wouldn't join a club that would have a person like me as a member" - G. Marx

Offline numisma2000

« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2014, 01:48:12 PM »
Hi all from Spain,

I just bought my first "Fatman Dollar" and would like your opinion on it. On its condition and authenticity.
It is 1914 and the most common variety, I guess.
It weighs 26.60 grams and is 39 mm in diameter.

Thank you very much for your help.

Offline KONDi

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2014, 06:16:08 AM »
Hi all from Spain,

I just bought my first "Fatman Dollar" and would like your opinion on it. On its condition and authenticity.
It is 1914 and the most common variety, I guess.
It weighs 26.60 grams and is 39 mm in diameter.

Thank you very much for your help.

Dear numisma2000,

Your first Fatman dollar 1914 is genuine piece! It looks like F condition for me.

Best wishes from beautiful Shanghai!
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2014, 06:18:15 AM »
Hi, Kondi

Long time since our last communication. As you may be aware, I still enjoy acquiring old silver coins from China from time to time, and I like to discuss with you when I got a special type of YSK. 

Attached you will see 6 pieces of YSK, which I believe they are all different variety. The third one at the upper right should be a Shandong variety if I remember correctly. The third one at the lower right, I still don't know which variety it would be. The rest, I have no idea but I think they are all common variety.

What do you think?

Best regards from Bangkok,

Happycoins II   

Hi Happycoins II,

Happy to hear from you again. I am recently very busy in work, so please give me some time to reply about your 6 fatman dollars.

Will back to you as soon as I can.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2014, 08:44:41 PM »
 N31

Offline numisma2000

« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2014, 02:05:51 AM »

Dear numisma2000,

Your first Fatman dollar 1914 is genuine piece! It looks like F condition for me.

Best wishes from beautiful Shanghai!

Thank you so much, Kondi. I was almost sure it was authentic, the seller can trust him, but you never know these coins, there are many fakes and some really good and is very difficult to distinguish, if not is an expert.

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2014, 12:15:51 PM »
With the weathering, it looks genuine. But to be 100% sure, send for grading at PCGS or NGC.

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2014, 10:32:26 PM »
With the weathering, it looks genuine. But to be 100% sure, send for grading at PCGS or NGC.

The coin also looks genuine to me. However, I would rather suggest you keep the coin as it is because of the poor condition and the common nature of this coin.

All the best,

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2014, 01:02:02 AM »
The coin also looks genuine to me. However, I would rather suggest you keep the coin as it is because of the poor condition and the common nature of this coin.

All the best,

Same opinion, I will not send common and low grade coins for grading.

Offline KONDi

« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2014, 03:31:07 AM »
Hello happycoins II,

I am so sorry you had to wait for my answer so long. I am very busy with my work and with my Shanghai tokens. Today I found a little bit time to answer your post about 6 Fatman dollars.

First of all congratulations! I think all of your 6 coins are genuine. You can be sure about it. Even 2 of those Fatman first time I see.

Let's get started shall we? First of all nr 1, 2 and 3 (which I marked) are Yunnan variety Fatman dollar 1914. The other sample of this variety you will find on the 1st page of this post---it is nr 17.

Nr 4 which I marked on your picture is a mystery for me. I believe I used to have this coin for sell and if I am not wrong it is Fujian variery. It is very rare variery if this is the one. The key point in this variety is the the shape of eye with 2 lines and part of the hair which look different than on other fatman dollar varieties from 1914. I could be wrong here. Like I said I believe I used to had this coins and I sold it and it looked the same and your nr 4. However it also had a little bit similar design to 20 cents Yuan Shih Kai 1916. But I am more convinced that your nr 4 could be Fujian variety. I didn't listed this variety here.

Your nr 5 is of course Shandong variety. Good catch!

Nr 6 is unknown variety of Fatman dollar 1914. I believe it is genuine. Only I have never seen it.

Good catch with all 6. They are all genuine in my humble opinion.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2014, 10:49:54 PM »
Thanks for this, KONDi. I will find out more information about coins# 4 and 6.

Keep in touch,

Happycoins II