Author Topic: What else new can to discover in your YSK 1920 dollar?  (Read 2016 times)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
What else new can to discover in your YSK 1920 dollar?
« on: November 02, 2011, 02:23:43 AM »
Dear coin collectors and coin dealers,

Welcome to my next post about research on YSK 1920 varieties. I found 8 varieties of YSK 1920 dollar.
So enjoy my research and keep reading!:)

1) This is the most common variety of YSK 1920. The variety from Hainan. It is the most clear Fatman dollar with all dates. Star part is very clear, mustache very clear, double eyelids, below (marked on red) that part is also very clear, hair are very clear and leaves on reverse of this fatman 1920 are very clear. In one word perfect variety, perfect but common!

2) This one is also Hainan variety, but crude version from Hainan. It is much rarer thank his common brother. Hair are little bit clear, double eyelids, stars are also little clear (can't see details). On reverse leaves are not so clear! Small teeth on obverse are not so clear. Crude variety from Hainan but rare one.

3) On the obverse of this variety of YSK 1920 we can see that second character means "year" has hook which looks like "7". It also has prolonged line which conect 1st chartacter means "made". I mean connect upper part with bottom part of the character. This variety is called Fatman 1920 with nr 7.
Rare type!

4) This one is Tianjin variety. However I am not 100% sure are those 4 elements which I will point here are evident proofs to say that this is for sure Tianjin variety. Well, you judge by yourself. I think that on this picture 4. Star part is not so clear, rim on obverse is thin. On the reverse a part of the rim is double and 2 chinese characters means "yi yuan" - "one dollar" are little thiner than the variety on picture 1 from Hainan. Anyway this is common type, the one from Tianjin also.

5) On the obverse of this one all 7 chinese characters are bold. Well at least first 3 from the left. This is Nanjing varierty. Rare type.

6) This one is called broken 2 leaves variety. One the reverse we can see on left side that one leaf of a grain is broken or missing somehow. One the right side one leaf of another grain is broken. On the obverse Stars part has little different design. Rare one.

7) From the design of this variety of YSK 1920 most of you would probably would say it is crude made fake. Well it is not. It is some private edition, maybe some warlord...All chinese characters on obverse has different design from original for example Hainan type (picture 1). Eyelids are in different shape. Hair are not so clear and different look like. On the reverse leaves are clear but above chinese character "yi" "one" there is one big tail and one small one. Very interesting piece. It weight 24,5g and 39mm in diameter. Rare!

8) This one is also private variety of YSK 1920. Those all characters on obverse looks different, especially 6th one. Eyelids are in different shape, mustache are clear but different than Hainan variety on picture 1, stars part is quite clear but crude. Leaves of reverse are much smaller than Hainan variety on picture 1. This coin weight 26g and has 39mm in diameter. Probably some warlord issued it. Rare one.

Thank you for reading my research about varieties of YSK 1920 dollar. Enjoy!:)
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Re: What else new can to discover in your YSK 1920 dollar?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:29:03 PM »
Dear all,

This is the last YSK private variety which I discovered recently. This time it is YSK 1920 private variety. This private variety they called here in China: "sharing water variety" or being more professional, they also called it here "long inner teeth variety". This private variety of YSK 1920 has 39mm in diameter and also like YSK 1914 which I described among 1914 YSK---nr 28. weights 26,01g. The reason why it is called "shaking water variety" is probably because when you look on a surface (on obverse) it looks like it would be in a water which is shaking. I don't know, but this is just my explanation. Also on obverse a part of first chinese character which means in English "made" or "produced" is in a hook shape (I marked it on red color). When we take a look on the other side of this coin (on reverse) it explains us why it is also called "long inner teeth variety" which name more match to describe this coin. We can see that thiner inner teeth are indeed long and even the same size as fatter inner teeth. However on overse we can't see even clearly those thiner teeth. Anyway I just wanted to share with you my new discover. I hope that you enjoyed.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline WCO

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What else new can to discover in your YSK 1920 dollar?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 08:19:36 PM »
Good day.

With full understanding that this is a 4 years old thread I thought this is a relevant place to ask questions about varieties of 1920 Dollars. Currently NGC recognizes just 3 varieties of 1920 Dollars. 

1920 L&M-77
1920 L&M-77 REVERSE OF 1914
1920 L&M-77 HAINAN ISSUE

This is quite contradictory to the research above. Is it possible to show (on pictures) the difference between all 3 varieties recognized by NGC? Also you luck a coin with Reverse of 1914, I am wondering what is the difference between coins with reverse of 1914 and 1920?

Thank you.

WCO